“sands is good”

Ranked #43 of 95 Hotels in Macau
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“sands is good”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

i am quite a fan of sands groups. Marina Bay in Singapore. Vegas property and the huge venetain in taipa is also from sands group. Sands Macau is good for people who want to stay in macau and not in taipa which has options like galaxy, venetian, hard rock, four seasons etc.

Macau is more buzzing as a city and more beautiful than taipa. The casinos and buzz in macau is something else. and Sands is the best bet from cost, access and experience per say. I loved the food, service and rooms there. and the shuttle service from sands takes us to venetian every 10 mins.

So we cover macau and taipa very nicely!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank ru80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed December 4, 2011

This hotel is recommendable if you only plan to gamble, drink and maybe sleep. Do not expect any service or positive food experience.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank FastFret888
Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I stayed at Sands for four nights. My room was very spacious and comfortable, the photos taken by Trip advisor travellers do not do the rooms justice.They are large with a seperate lounge area. My room had a view over the sea and one of the bridges.
The service and caring from all the staff I encountered was above and beyond my expectations, friendly helpful service from the reception,restaurant and the casino staff.
It is a pity that the hotel no longer has spa facilities the pool area was clean and I enjoyed having the whole area to myself!
I can recommend this smaller style hotel . Pleased that I did not choose to stay in one of the larger resorts, although all are worth a visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the bridge
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed November 11, 2011

The Sands Macao provided an exceptional experience during my brief stay. The rooms are well equipped with all the amenities you would expect for a hotel of this cailbre and price range. The large rooms had a comfortable bed and relaxing couch along with a well-designed and equipped bathroom.

What Was Good

Efficient check in.
Helpful staff (They helped arrange tickets for early morning ferry to Hong Kong so I could catch my flight).
Comfortable rooms.
Convienent location near ferry terminal.

What Was Not So Good

Getting a taxi on a rainy night at the hotel was almost impossible. Long queue. I walked to a nearby hotel and was instantly able to get a taxi.
A lack of signs directing guests when they first arrive to the reception area

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank rtlmsff
Toyama, Japan
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My family of six got 2 deluxe suite rooms and stayed here purposely for a 5-day birthday celebration of my 15 yr-old daughter. We opted for a higher floor with the great views of the ocean, the Fisherman's Wharf Village and the Taipa Bridge. The location was perfect for us who want a peaceful and more private hotel away from the noisy sides of the city. The rooms were spacious and had the homey feeling that we felt so relaxed and well rested after more than a 2 hour long trip. I am very particular with the cleanliness of the accommodation and I find it exceptionally clean esp. the nice and fab bathroom and the toilet. The buffet lunch was good at the 888 Resto at the 2nd floor. The Steak House at the 3rd Floor lived up to its Award, the steak melts in the mouth, It was absolutely fantastic! The Resident Manager were extremely helpful in granting my extra special request, a surprise birthday cake for my daughter. She did exceptionally well in providing us with an awesome service, for us to truly enjoy our first time stay in Macau. We are highly delighted and blessed with the personal touch and warm smiles of the kind and sensitive staff, gained new friends and will forever be a memorable stay for our kids to cherish. We will definitely choose this hotel again in our future vacations to Macau.

Room Tip: Higher Floors/Rooms overlooking the ocean or the Taipa Bridge
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mikojosh
Sydney
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights a week ago for the first time. It is not my first time to Macau and thought I would give the Sands a go. I travel to Macau regularly for the casinos and entertainment.

Firstly, I found the staff to be very helpful. I arrived early for check-in after a long haul flight and the front desk attendant arranged for a rush job on my room (at 11am) which was very much appreciated. The room was ready an hour later, but with free wifi in the lobby and the help with the sim card. The concierge/bell hop attendants were fantastic with organising a local simm card for me and had them ready to go (second plus). Finally, on my last day there my flights were delayed due to a typhoon that was skirting Macau and HKG. The hotel were excellent in keeping tabs on what was happening at the airport and giving me the room to rest well past the check-out time.

I thought the food in the hotel/casino was disappointing. I tried the Golden Court restaurant for lunch and was bitterly disappointed with the quality of the chinese food, to the point I had to send some dishes back (I can't remember if I have ever done this previously). The chicken dish came out cold and after sending it back, it came back not much better. I had a look at the buffet one day before buying and had to walk away. Room service was not much better and I gather the food came from Golden Court.

The Casino was welcoming and I thought the russian dancers doing their cabaret show in the afternoon was great!

In terms of the rooms the rooms were an excellent size, with seperate lounge and two flat screen TVs. The decor I thought was a cross between Asian and classy 60's which I liked. My only gripe was the design of the room with the minor things. You tend to take things like power points and "do not disturb" signs for granted, but here it was search. Lets just say they aren't in the places you would expect. The maid one day didn't notice the the batteries on the remote were dead and she manually turned off the TV (I wouldn't liked to have arrived at the hotel with no TV).

One attraction of the hotel is the Playboy club, although things were very quiet during the week.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Jesterinoz
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend break. We usually go lower-end on accommodation, so this was a real treat. Beautiful room (deluxe king suite) with great views of the ocean and bridge to Taipa. The blackout curtains are fantastic - no light getting through those suckers - when we woke up it was like it was the middle of the night! Gorgeous bathroom with rainfall showerhead.

Checking in and out were super easy, front desk staff were extremely nice and helpful. We ordered the American-style breakfast from room service - so much food and all very tasty (we should have ordered one breakfast for the two of us).

The only niggles were that the breakfast dishes were not cleared and we had to ask TWO times for someone to come clear them (once at 4pm and again at 8pm). The other niggle was that we didn't receive the SCMP (newspaper) that we asked for, on either day.

Hotel is well located, 5 min free shuttle from the ferry terminal though a bit further away for walking to the old town or other casinos. They also have a free shuttle to the Venetian on the Cotai Strip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple