“Wonderful”

Grand Coloane Resort Macau
Ranked #25 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

During my recent (two) stays in the Westin Macau, I enjoyed their excellent service, the wonderfully comfortable surroundings, as well as the beautifully appointed rooms that could not be rivaled anywhere in Macau.
The only thought on my mind was - "Heavenly Bed"?? Why hasn't anyone mentioned the "Heavenly Soap"?? The elegant scent of the bar of soap in the form of a leaf in my room was heavenly... The beautiful and tranquil surroundings of the Cafe with freshly made breakfast items together created a great start for the day...

Be assured of my total loyalty to the Westin Macau for many years to come...

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peterchan7708
Westin-Resort-Macau, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear Peterchan7708,

What a delightful review! Thank you for pointing out the positives of our service and environment.

It is great of you mentioning our White Tea Aloe Soap, it’s my personal favorite too. Our leaf shaped soap is a Westin signature and adds a charming touch to the bathroom. With the help of white tea’s antioxidants and aloe’s natural moisture, each wash will leave your skin nourished and smooth.

Look forward to your next visit, the Westin Family awaits you.

For a better you.

There are newer reviews for Grand Coloane Resort Macau

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed for buisness for 4 nights

Large rooms with 2 queen bed, a large balcony overlooking the beach (in beach view rooms - take these ones if have a choice) and location is perfect as it is at the quiet corner of Macau. Staff is wonderfully service oriented. Breakfast is alright but not much variety.

For relaxing is good but for other activity, transportation can be a bit of a nightmare as I have problem coming back to the hotel as there are taxis who do not want to go to the hotel due to the location is at the end of the Macau island.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank KindCompassion
Westin-Resort-Macau, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear Fiza,

Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. We are thankful of your kind patronage to The Westin Resort Macau and also for the encouragement we find in your gracious review.

Trust that we will see you again in the very near future.

Live Well.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Recently stayed at the resort for 2 nights. Pros and Cons below
Pros
1. Large rooms - a real luxury in HK
2. Balcony - A huge balcony overlooking the beach (in beach view rooms - take these ones if have a choice)
3. Lovely pool facilities and sauna/spa. Bike rentals available as well
4. Shuttle to ferry terminal and all major casinos a big plus
5. Staff is helpful and service oriented
6. Location - Out of the madness of main Macau and overlooking the sea

Cons
1. Location - While far from the main casinos is a plus as well, Westin's location has its drawbacks. For one, getting a taxi is hellish. No-one wants to go here as it is near the tip of the island and a return fare is not always guaranteed for the taxi guys. Secondly, despite the free shuttle, there are occasions when the shuttle fills up, in which case there is no alternative than to wait for another 30mins for the next one
2. Breakfast buffet - While adequate in selection, quality is strictly okay and not 5 star standards
3. Rooms and building - The trade-off with space here is that the walls need a coat of paint and some of the chairs a new polish. It seems like the resort is in the need of a refurbishment for some time now
4. Tariffs - The breakfast tariffs seem to be on the higher side, more akin to a 5 star level although the quality does not match the same levels

All in all, a good place to stay if a calm peaceful vacation is your aim. If casinos is where you would rather hang out, this place is secluded and not very accessible. So make sure what you are getting into before booking.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms overlooking the beach. Also rooms here are constructed like step farms, so there is...
1  Thank PuneetSaxena
Westin-Resort-Macau, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Travellingjourneyman,

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to post such a details review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you loved our balcony, various recreation facilities and helpful associates. Our services and facilities provide guests healthful options and environments that indulge all of the senses.

I was concerned to hear of your disappointment with our breakfast. We do get a lot of positive comments on our breakfast however be assured I have advised our Restaurant Manager to follow up on the issue. Rest assured we continuously perform the price comparison with other city hotels to make sure that we stay competitive.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another memorable holiday.

Stay Energized.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed one night visiting Macau to see the Dancing Waters show (which is fabulous) and wanted to see what this resort was like should we want to bring our 2 year old in the future since it seemed kid-friendly.

Pros:
- Spacious and clean rooms with comfortable bed.
- Both indoor and outdoor pool, though note pool is smaller in real life than in pictures.
- Access to the beach next door which is a nice option
- Has quite a few options for kids, with a playroom, outdoor playground, large fields to kick a ball, pool. They also had free tennis lessons for kids which is good.

Cons:
- Breakfast buffet was very disappointing for a 5 star hotel. Bread and pastries had the 'day old' texture and taste, and not fresh and fluffy, dim sum offering small and below average in taste, and the other hot foods disappointing. Not comparable to other 5 star hotel breakfasts and wouldn't pay for it.
- Poor shuttle bus transportation offering (compared to over hotels in Macau). There isn't a shuttle that goes to the Taipa Ferry Terminal, only the Macau Ferry Terminal (strange given the Taipa Ferry is much closer to the hotel), and it doesn't go very often. When we used the shuttle to take us to the Venetian hotel, the driver dropped us off on the side of the main highway road where there was no footpath, so we had to dangerously walk along the main road next to cars and buses.
- Hotel is quite a way away from everything else, and transportation not always reliable.
- Hotel amenities are old fashioned and could do with a refresh.

Personally, I would prefer the Grand Lapa in Macau, which had fantastic pool facilities and kid facilities, and it was a much shorter taxi ride into town. However, my husband and I acknowledge that if you have older kids (say 6+) you may like this hotel as it is all in one big complex and it has lots of options to entertain the kids even by themselves.

This hotel, given how far away it is from everything else, it a place if you want a resort hotel to stay all day, and not really plan to travel into Taipai, Cotai or Macau town constantly, as the transportation options are not very good or convenient.

1  Thank YiliKR
Westin-Resort-Macau, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear YilikR,

It is good to note that you found the various facets of our resort to your liking. At our resort, our facilities and services are designed to help guests relax, recharge and replenish.

However, it’s very unfortunate that some areas during your stay did not reflect the quality you expected from us and I am really concerned that we did not live up to your expectation. You are our valued guest and your feedback is important to us. It is our constant endeavor to provide a consistently high quality service to all our guests and I assure all possible improvement measures will be taken in order to serve you better.

I hope you will not bench mark us with the shortcomings you have experienced during this stay and will give us an opportunity to improve and serve you better. Looking forward to serve you again and welcoming you to renewal on your next visit to Macau.

Be inspired.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I've stayed in Starwood properties for years and this must be the worst.

It was nice of them to give me half a bottle of wine when I checked in but they was no wine opener. I rang housekeeping and was told they only have one and can't leave it in the room. After a while, they managed to find a toy like wine opener.

I have ever been refused late checkout till 4pm but yes, this is property refused. The worst was the shower. It was so weak it was worst than a pee.

I seriously recommend than you shut this ill maintained property down to avoid contaminating the Starwood brand. It's old and things are not working .

Room Tip: Avoid really
2  Thank Anthony L
Westin-Resort-Macau, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear Anthony L,

First and foremost, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the imperfect experience that you had at The Westin Resort Macau. We pride ourselves on our customer service, yet in this instance it seems that we have missed the mark and quite possibly damaged a relationship with a valued hotel guest.

We always want to exceed your expectations with both service and amenities. I am very sorry to hear that this was not the case. I would love to talk to you personally about your experience as we never want this to be your last impression of our property. I will be sending you a private message and together find a solution. I hope you don’t mind.

I ask that you bear with us while we investigate these issues, and I fully understand the proof is in our actions and not our words. On a personal note, I really appreciate your honesty and assure you we will use your feedback to manage our business better.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We were really looking forward to staying here. I am a fan of Starwood properties and a new member to their SPG program.
We had ups and downs with this hotel. There are a lot of hygiene concerns. A poo in the toilet left from previous guest and an unhygienic breakfast was served. The ups were very nice staff and a beautiful view.
First of all, when we arrived, we were warmly welcomed to the hotel. Because of our new membership, we were lucky to be upgraded to a different room. However, when I arrived, there was oddly a plate of macaroons in there in cling film, with no note or anything. I was a little confused. How long was this here for? Was it for me? I had no idea.
Then, when I went to the toilet, I lifted up the cover and was really, REALLY shocked to see that there was a HUGE poo in the toilet!!!!! The housekeeping DID NOT flush the toilet and allowed me to come in. Such a nasty surprise!! What else would I find?
Now, I could have flushed it myself, but this was way too disgusting and needed to be mentioned to the front office. So I called them up.
They sent someone up to flush it and I asked her to really thoroughly clean the toilet. After that, there was no follow up call or anything. It was just a simple flush and a Chinese apology by the housekeeper. I was really, very disappointed.
Now a couple positives.
The gym was nice and the staff were really helpful. I liked their machines. Only issue here was the female bathroom had a sink that wouldn’t stop running. I came back from my session at the gym (almost an hour) and the tap was still on! They must fix this.
The room’s views were gorgeous and we are all really lucky to be able to sit outside.
Another positive was that I got a lot of help from their concierge, Ariel. He was so kind and helpful. He helped us call and make a booking, he gave us some great recommendations and tips, and he was overall a really nice guy.
Now, the last and final negative.
When we woke up, we were so relaxed we wanted to have breakfast in bed. We ordered the continental breakfast. When it arrived, we had an alright breakfast ready for us. I opened up the jam jar for my bread and was really surprised once again. They gave me an already opened jar that has been used!! What is going on?! How can you serve your guests half emptied jars of jam? This was used by someone else already and this is simply just unacceptable.
My issue is this: carelessness and hygiene. Hygiene is so important to guests and right now, with so many infections around, this should be priority. I never really expect to see poo’s in the toilet, maybe MAYBE in a hostel, but even in there, that would be rare. However, in the Westin? This is shocking.
I brought it up to the front office manager about all these issues, and was given a simple, deadpan, ‘Sorry to hear that Ma’am.’ I’m not sure if he was left for words himself, but I do hope that they will take these careless mistakes seriously because it could really do a lot of damage in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shatalene
Westin-Resort-Macau, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear lloveShatalie,

Thank you for taking the time to post the feedback about your recent stay with us. I want to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience. Your comments were most troubling and unfortunately, the first that I have been made aware of the circumstances.

Due to the numerous issues mentioned in your review, it is imperative that we conduct a thorough internal investigation and follow up with the respective departments and associates involved. We will be reaching out to you separately for some details so that we may be able to gather as much information as required and conduct this investigation quickly so I hope you don’t mind receiving our separate correspondence.

Thank you in advance for giving us the opportunity to reconnect with you.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Facts: Business Trip, 4 nights stay, Corner room # 632

Location - far from the macau madness...peaceful and tranquil....

Room: Very spacious and elegant, Large sitout with great view. Good stocked minibar however no fruits or chocolates, if you had momentary cravings....
Good sleep quality, however the AC would continue to run, even ifswitched off. Had to call the engineer to configure my TV to see my online bill....it was resolved though later.

Washroom: Good amenities but the dampner came on the 3rd day, when I noticed long hair strand on both hand towels (and i have short hair) at the wash basin.....infact one of these towels was dirty too....had to dump them and check all others before using.....

Staff: Polite and courteous....the engineer who visitied my room couldnt speak english though....

Golf: Strange experience - a colleague of mine whose room was facing the pool and ocean drive saw someone practicing his swing and when i approaced the club, i was told its closed :-(
Land drive range was a mini-joke, its 47 yards !!! (i'm not a pro though).....the club needs to inform this before hand !!! the only saving grace was you get as many basket of balls as you want :-). Sherwin at the drive range was very helpful...so was Simon....

F&B: Good B'fast spread but similar options daily. I being a vegetarian had to struggle but my other colleagues raved bout the food...

Concierge: very helpful and eager to help ....

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view rooms and not very far from the lift lobby
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank sakars
Westin-Resort-Macau, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Sakars,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. It is always helpful to receive a candid report so we may continue to improve our service and further reduce any negative experiences.

I truly understand how you must have felt when confronted with a less than perfect towel and have since launched a full investigation to resolve the issue and ensure such mistakes do not occur again. I also understand how frustrated you must have felt to discover that the ocean golf driving range (which is owned and operated separately from the hotel itself) has been temporarily closed and we are waiting for further news from the Macau Golf and Country Club about its reopening schedule. They do have a second one which can be used but the views are not nearly as spectacular.

On a positive note, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our tranquil location, spacious guest room and helpful associates.

I sincerely do hope to have a second opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.