“Aged opulence, spectacular service!”
Review of Grand Lapa Macau

Grand Lapa Macau
Ranked #21 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed September 10, 2011

And when I say aged opulence, I mean this in all the good respects. With new newer, excessive casino hotel monstrosities that have popped up in Macau in recent years, thank god for a well preserved classic like Grand Lapa. To use a wine metaphor, if you want bright, overpriced new vintage like Beaujolais nouveau, go with one of the big, new, glitzy casino hotels. But if you appreciate the finer nuances of a classic old world vintage, Grand Lapa is the place. From its spacious, elegant lobby decked out in actual antique furnishings and art, to the slightly ornate guest rooms, this hotel has just about everything I seek in a luxury property, yet without the high price. Not to mention the stellar service the Mandarin Oriental chain is famous for. Not only did the desk and concierge staff go beyond the call of duty in addressing our various questions and needs, but they made a point of remembering my name, a seemingly small detail which really goes a long way in the service department. I had let them know in advance that we were celebrating my birthday and upon check-in, they upgraded our room to a superior, resort view. On the eve of my birthday, unbeknownst to us, the staff snuck into our room while we were out for dinner, leaving behind a lavish birthday cake from their in-house bakery. How many hotels do this?

We dined in two of the hotel's excellent restaurants, and when I asked staff if I could bring my own bottle of wine into the dining room, they not only allowed it, but waived the corkage fee because it was my birthday! Again, it's the little service details like this that add up over the course of a three-day stay.

The resort and spa part of the hotel is almost, itself, worth the price of admission. I'm not usually a swimming pool person, but I could lounge around Grand Lapa's huge pool (set amid lush tropical greenery) all day - and I did!

Some reviewers have complained about the aged state of the rooms, and it's true, you'll find no state-of-the-art high tech gadgetry or flat screen TVs in the guest rooms, but the rooms are extremely well maintained and housekeeping staff sneak in a couple times throughout to day to remake the beds, add fresh towels and amenities. We found the room perfectly satisfactory. If anything, the ambience hearkens back to bygone Portuguese era of region, which added to our overall experience of Macau. If you stay at a self-contained new hotel like the Sands, Wynn or worse, Venetian, you may as well be in Disneyland, Las Vegas or a mega-mall with a hotel attached. We wanted to tap into Macau's rich history, not its crass casino culture. Grand Lapa turned out to be the perfect hotel.

We obtained a very good rate by booking well in advance online, but even Grand Lapa's rack rates won't set you back as much as one of the big , new casino hotels will.

Our only regret was having to leave the hotel. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wayfarer64

Reviewed September 2, 2011

There are many options for a hotel these days in Macau. Even within my price range, I had the choice of Rio, Westin and Emperor. In the end what swayed me were price and other traveladvisor reviews about the service. Turned out to be a great experience!

The hotel is literally next door to Sands Casino/Hotel, so one can take the free shuttle from either ferry terminal (and the Venetian hotel as well) in. The check-in took slightly longer than normal due to older technology used, but the people were more courteous than some other places in Macau.

I had arranged for a cake to be delivered to the room as a surprise, and the check-in person handled it well, making sure my partner was out of range before indicating quietly to me that "your arrangement is ready and will be delivered within 15 minutes".

Indeed, the cake from the hotel's cake shop was delivered by room service within 15 minutes. What's more, a pot of Chinese tea was also delivered and matched up perfectly. The room service person was very courteous, and congratulated on the occasion multiple times. The chocolate truffle cake turns out to be much better than I expected. For a 1 lb cake, it's about half the price of what it would cost in Hong Kong, but the material used and the craftsmanship was very good quality. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

The hotel overall and the room in particular is clearly aged. I had stayed there as a child back in the early 90's, and I don't think much has changed. There are actually some pros about that. For example, breakfast at the 1/F cafe was a very nice and relaxing venue with a touch of historical European decor. Other than that, most of the amenities will do the job, but may disappoint travelers who are used to newer items. A plus was that we took a nap after checking in. Upon returning to the room at night, our beds were re-made and there were some complimentary Samosas (Indian curry bites) beside the bed. Very nice touch. Other than that, expectations should be adjusted when considering this hotel.

Unfortunately we didn't get to use the hotel's extensive resort facilities (a secluded area that looks like a small park beside the hotel), but the complimentary breakfast included in the package (regular charge $400+ for two) was a buffet with fresh made fruit juices and a solid variety of food choice. My partner commented that the muffins were also really good. I don't think it will be worth full price, however.

Overall I liked the experience with this hotel very much. The service level was much better than I expected, and I could live with the older amenities. Situated at a prime location with convenient travel to/from the ferry terminals and the Venetian (via Sands hotel shuttle) is a big plus. I would recommend this hotel to those who might need a little extra service and don't mind decor from the 90's.

Room Tip: Ask for the quiet side on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Not quite what I was expecting from Mandarin Oriental in terms of the decor, some of the rooms could do with a facelift, although the look and feel of the lobby is probably in keeping with other MO's.

The staff however are very good; polite, helpful and kind. Especially in the lounge bar Vasco.

This place has a casino but it's a very small one and you hardly notice it. A welcome escape from some of the other hotels that look as if they could be a bit noisy with people shouting up and down the corridor and leaving their doors wide open as they tend to do in this part of the world.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

I've never written a review for tripadvisor before, and usually when you either have a extraordinary experience, it compels you to write something to give credit where it's due. Unfortunately for Grand Lapa, it's in a negative sense. The hotel itself is, for the most part, perfectly fine. I believe in fact, it was the original Mandarin Oriental in Macau, before they opened the new MO next to MGM by the water. So in fact, the hotel itself is quite nice, perhaps a little wornout, but nothing that made me feel uncomfortable. The swimming pool and gym are the highlights of the accomodations, which although can get a little crowded (which can be argued as proof they are better than avg), is how I would spend my time if I was just to relax at the hotel. Another small positive, is that instead of 'no-name' water, they provide you with 'Bonaqua' water (which is a commercial brand of water).

My reason for the 2 stars only? I'd give 2.5 stars if I could, but my experience was closer to 2 than 3 stars. One word, the service. Horrible.

When they moved the MO to the new location, they must have taken all the original staff as well. Here's the highlights:

- checking in took approximately 15 minutes. That's when you got to the counter. This isn't a big deal, I'd expect it most places outside of Hong Kong and Macau (I'm from Hong Kong, where things are done fast fast fast). I can only compare to other hotels I've stayed at in Macau (Grand Lisboa, Venetian, Westin, Mandarin Oriental to name a few), check in takes around 5 minutes. Give them your ID, credit card, wait for them to enter some data in the computer, they print out something for you to sign and they give you the key. Done! At least that's what it usually is. Nope, at Grand Lapa, you have to painfully watch as they enter in tons of info into their systems print out mulitple pages, staple, file and do a bunch of other administrative things (suggestion: do this LATER!!!) before they give you the sign-in form to sign and give you your keys.

- Internet services are not free. Fine I can understand some hotels making the decision to charge for in room internet services. The rate isn't horrible, 165 HKD for 24 hours. BUT... If we decide to pay for it, it shouldn't be a crappy connection that's SLOW! On top of that, their business center also charges for internet usage and is closed on Sundays... Guess they want people to 'disconnect' from the internet and go swim in their pool...

- Get chinese lessons from housekeeping. We requested additional bath wash, as they only provide enough for one night per couple (in my opinion). If you go swimming and want to shower after that, it's definitely not enough. However, their housekeeping has no idea what 'bath/shower wash/gel' is and we had to revert to speaking Cantonese (not our native language). Of course, they bring up a bar of soap. Ok, understandable and a simple miscommunication. We try again and show them the empty bottle of shower gel and they understand. They go and get it right? No. They instead, decide to give us a lecture on how to call it properly in Cantonese and say that if we ask in English of course housekeeping won't understand. Unbelieveable. (On top of that, we asked for 2 shower gels, so we didn't have to ask again later, and instead they bring us 1 shower gel, 1 shampoo and 1 conditioner)

Last highlight:
- replacement key... so I made the mistake of trusting the pocket in my swimming trunks. And while swimming, my room key seemed to have slipped out into the pool. After a bit of searching, I gave up and headed over to the front desk to ask for a replacement. Of course, the front desk has a lengthy line up, so I try the concierge (which is right next to the front desk) since I assume it's a simple process. Plus being the inconsiderate guest, I'm still dripping... Nope, they ask me to line up at the front desk, and I once again go through the dread of watching each guest take 15+ minutes to check-in. Sure enough, (after waiting 15 minutes or so, a minature lake of pool water drips from me all over the ground), once I ask for a card replacement, it took all of 10 seconds for them to give it to me and I was off back to the pool! Now that's great customer service!

I paid their regular rack rate, no breakfast included or anything, so I have to compare it to other hotels, and frankly, it's not a bad hotel at all. However, the service really put a damper on our trip and I'd happily pay the same price or more to stay elsewhere, even if there wasn't as nice a swimming pool (Galaxy anyone!?).

To sum up:
- no free internet, and it's slow even if you decide to pony up.
- nice swimming pool
- previously was the Mandarin Oriental, and they still use the MO brand for Grand Lapa
- staff need to learn what good service means.

Why take the risk, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you stay on the south side of the rooms, you should get a view of the pool, which is better than...
1  Thank FattyToro
Reviewed July 10, 2011

The hotel is a little dated, and the rooms clearly have seen better days. It certainly must have been grand a decade or so ago. Some parts have been renovated and have a fresh updated look. Nonetheless, it is clean and comfortable. Service is very pleasant and the staff manning the concierge desk was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations and reservations, and giving taxi drivers directions in Cantonese. The reception at the ferry terminal was also warm and friendly.

We stayed here 1 night, and this being July, it was hot and muggy outside. The Kid's club at the Grand Lapa was a heaven-sent. We dropped our 5-year-old off for a few hours while we battled the oppressive heat to see the old town. The pool area is attractive, though we did not get a chance to use it.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the pool area
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2011

It was holiday on 1 July in HK so we went to Macau for a short trip. The stay at Grand Lapa was recommended by my travel agent and it's of great value for the Mandarin Oriental service you pay for it. The hotel was it fact the ex-Mandarin Oriental Hotel and now still operates by the MO group. The resort facility is great and there is Spa, pool and mini gold, etc. We can see the harbor from the hotel room and it was a great stay for a relaxing trip.

1  Thank NgHoMan
Reviewed May 26, 2011

We made a reservation through a third-party website (Macau.com) and got a really good deal (+/-50% off)
We were on a 4-month backpacking trip and wanted to splurge for a couple of days (our wedding Anniversary)
One of the main reasons why we choose this hotel was because it had a real nice pool!
The hotel is located really close to the ferry port, and they have a free shuttle service to pick you up and a free bottled water upon boarding.

Eventhough we paid 50% of the regular rate, we were upgrated to a one bedroom Suite with balcony - Resort view, when we mentioned our anniversary.

The staff was excellent, very helpful and polite at all times.

The room was big, beautiful, clean... excellent. The bathroom was not new, but extremely clean and in great condition. Small tub.

The bed was so comfortable that we had a hard time getting of it. TV had a lot of channels and free movie channels. In addition you could order more movies.

We had a plate of fruit and you could request more for the next afternoon free of charge.

My only complaint would be that internet was not free and not cheap.

The Macanese restaurant inside the hotel was good.

The pool area was really nice, unfortunatelly, it rained the 2 days we spent in Macau, so we couldn't use the pool.

Room Tip: Get a pool side balcony room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple