“Great 5-Stars Hotel, Great Service, Good Location”
Review of Grand Lapa Macau

Grand Lapa Macau
Ranked #21 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed May 26, 2011

We made a reservation through a third-party website (Macau.com) and got a really good deal (+/-50% off)
We were on a 4-month backpacking trip and wanted to splurge for a couple of days (our wedding Anniversary)
One of the main reasons why we choose this hotel was because it had a real nice pool!
The hotel is located really close to the ferry port, and they have a free shuttle service to pick you up and a free bottled water upon boarding.

Eventhough we paid 50% of the regular rate, we were upgrated to a one bedroom Suite with balcony - Resort view, when we mentioned our anniversary.

The staff was excellent, very helpful and polite at all times.

The room was big, beautiful, clean... excellent. The bathroom was not new, but extremely clean and in great condition. Small tub.

The bed was so comfortable that we had a hard time getting of it. TV had a lot of channels and free movie channels. In addition you could order more movies.

We had a plate of fruit and you could request more for the next afternoon free of charge.

My only complaint would be that internet was not free and not cheap.

The Macanese restaurant inside the hotel was good.

The pool area was really nice, unfortunatelly, it rained the 2 days we spent in Macau, so we couldn't use the pool.

Room Tip: Get a pool side balcony room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 3, 2011

In the Grand Lapa you feel the ambience you would expect from a grand old hotel of Asia. In particular the lounge where the meals are served is quite beautiful and the service is great.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ManuelGodinho
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Have been travelling in many countries and definitely in a position to tell a good hotel for corporate and for leisure when I come across one. I was lucky to have a friend (prestigeous and professioinal hotelier ), to recommend me the Grand Lapa this time for my Macau trip. As I trusted my friend's professional standard, and although I know little of Grand Lapa I accepted this opportunity and stayed with my son in this hotel.

I must say, it is to my pleasant surprise, this hotel carries the characteristics of the Mandarin quality, the passion of the services is outstanding, staff attentiveness is overwhelming but not disturbing, they are courteous, well trained and professional.
Compliments to the General Manager and his Directors, it is a pleasure to meet the international professionalism from these genetlemen. Afterall its the people who made attract repeat guests !
Understanding that there are lots of competition from their neighbouring hotels, the interirors, ambiences, cleanliness, restaurants are equally complimentarary to its full extent.

Room Tip: contact the hotel front desk
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Ahd00
Reviewed January 21, 2011

I stayed at The Grand Lapa in Oct, 2010 for 3 nights. The hotel offered a special rate at that time. The room is large and with view. The service was excellent.

The location of the hotel is within walking distance to other casinos and down town.

What I like the most about the hotel is the pool which is free form but is almost 50 meters long. It is great for lap swimming as there were not that many people in the pool. The changing room is very large and comfortable. The gym looks big and clean. As I did not use it I could not say much about it.

The hotel has a courtyard that is very charming and warm.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank trang2010
Reviewed January 13, 2011

A reason to go to this hotel is definitely the resort. This is such a peaceful oasis in the middle of vibrating Macau... The pool area is just perfect amongst a hundred of plants. Very nice place surronded by fantastic portuguese and thai restauarants. The Spa is lovely. The bella vista restaurant at the main building is just so nice. A real good recommendation for Breakast. Location is very good just nearby the ferry terminal - but a bit far away from the centre. You definitely need to go there by car.
The minus of this hotel are the rooms. They look old - especially the bathrooms don't fit to the expectations of a Mandarin Oriental hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mb2105
Reviewed November 26, 2010

The hotel is conveniently only a few minutes walking away from the Macau ferry terminal to HK, right besides the famous Sands Casino. There is a shuttle bus to and from the ferry and from the Sands casino you can catch free busses to nearly any bigger Casino on Macau (though the service stops around midnight).
Unfortunately although being a member of the Mandarin Oriental, this hotel did not fully live up to my expectations. The atmosphere in the lobby was cold and it felt as if I was the only guest in the hotel. In spite of this the staff tries it's best to help you and is very attentive. The concierge service will help you find your way around town but will only send you to mainstream attractions, so make sure to have your lonely planet or travel guide at hand when exploring the island.
Although they are having a remodeling (and tell you that when booking your room) I was not disturbed by any noise from that. The rooms are ok but are in urgent need of a remodeling. The rooms are big (especially if you are just coming from HK) and my room was viewing the Resort, which was nice. Bathrooms are a bit outdated and so are the carpets and the furnishing. The bed however was great and I caught a good nights sleep... that is after my neighbors finally finished discussing whatever they where talking about in Chinese... meaning the walls are really thin and one can easily be disturbed (I also heard my other neighbor but this was because of a door that connected my room to the next (something hotels fortunately stopped to have a few years ago). Because of the noise at 3am I called the front desk and they went up to ask my neighbors to be quiet. It didn't help much (finally around 4.30am they also went to bed); upon asking they offered me another room (but at 4am I didn't feel like moving to another room). Generally it can be said that you hear most noises from the hallway and I hope they improve that after the remodeling is finished. Although upon arrival the room looked very nice and they had the towels decorated with Orchid blossoms (a very nice touch), I have to admit that house keeping could have been a slightly bit little more attentative when cleaning the room and replacing amenities, but I have to admit, I never ran out of any.
One more thing, the internet (so called broadband) is an simply an insult and felt as slow as a 1990 modem connection (so don't expect to be catching a video on youtube); I have to mention though, that when I complained at check-out they acknowledged that internet was really slow and did not charge me (otherwise around HKD 160 per day). The tv was an old cathode ray tv, but you can get all sorts of pay-tv and several international channels.
All in all I have to say I got ok to average quality (certainly not what you expect from a mandarin hotel) for an average price (booked online through macau.com for two nights from Thu through Sat). Would I go again...? Maybe... for this price I might go again and might even recommend this hotel. For the rates they state at their homepage, I would definately NOT go again.
One of the few reasons to visit is might be the resort, which looked really nice and the convenient location of the hotel is also an upside. If you want a 5-star I believe you are better off at the newly built Mandarin Oriental Macau. However it might be worth a visit after the remodeling is finished.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank sternenklar
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I stayed at the grand lapa for the second time this weekend, visiting the Macau grand prix. Travelling with my three young children who were less than interested in motor racing, this hotel worked fabulously for all of us. The service quality
was simply stunning and a great improvement on the last time we stayed. The duty managers knew our names but more importantly nothing was too much trouble. The kids club was perfect for my children with a very full selection of activities and toys. The swimming pool was excellent. The roof terrace on the 5th floor for watching the racing meant was extremely well organized again an improvement from two years ago. The gym and spa whilst we did not use them look great and the pool was terrific for the kids with very good life guarding.

Others things of note were the very comfortable beds and the balconies on our suite which meant we did not even hAve to peace the room to watch the racing. The rooms also had nespresso machines with decaf which was great

The only negatives are that the hotel is starting to get old and is in need of a refurb, the wifi is slow and the room service took a little longer than promised, but none of these was anything other than a point of note.

Overall a fantastic weekend and as a place to stay for the grand prix and at the same time keeping family happy it could not have been better

Overall an extremely pleasurable e

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family