“Family Suites work very well”

Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central
Ranked #20 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed one night at the Sheraton Macau to go to The House of Dancing Water with my family. We booked a Family Suite. The Family Suite is two interconnecting rooms permanently set up with one side having a King bed and the other with a kid's bunk bed, child-themed furniture, a TV and a Nintendo Wii.

The room set up is excellent and my kids loved having their own room, even though I expected them at 14, 11 and 9 to be a bit old for the kiddie decor. The parents' room is also well appointed with a comfortable bed and nice red-themed decor which is not in any way child themed.

The hotel itself is the usual Cotai strip Casino-fueled nightmare, but that is the Cotai Strip and all the hotels in this area suffer from this. If you want quiet, old-school Macau head to the Westin in Coloane.

The pool area is a bit pokey but a couple of the small pools are heated which makes it easier to use it in cooler months with the kids.

The benefits include easy access to all of the hotels in Cotai and their restaurants, a short walk to City of Dreams to get to the House of Dancing Water and plenty of shops to browse. The negatives are the hoards of package tourists, many of whom appear to be on their first ever holiday, which does take some getting used to. My children liked the room so much that they were happy to hide out there instead of wandering around being jostled by the package tourists.

The hotel is good value relative to the rest of the Cotai hotels. As long as you know what you are in for staying in the Cotai Strip then the Sheraton is a good choice.

Room Tip: The Family Suites are a clever idea tht works really well.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
SheratonMacao, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Liam M,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to know that you and your family had a good stay with us. Did you meet the "DreamWorks" gangs at our hotel? We are having DreamWorks Experience package at this moment, including Shreakfast, DreamWorks All-Star Parade...Hope we will welcome you back soon to create another memorable stay to you.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central

Reviewed October 11, 2013

the newly open Sheraton Macao have everything to offer. SPG Members only check-in counters, next to a shopping mall, lots of restaurant outlets, everything... Unfortunately, after wandering the streets of Macau, there is no oasis of quietness in any part of the hotel expect in your own room to wind down. It is the biggest Sheraton with 3,896 rooms in Asia's Las Vegas!

The Club Lounge is a feeding ground. When the pre-dinner drinks start, comes flocks of people eating and then off to their gambling stations. No sense of calmness at all. Suggestion: maybe offer a special lounge for your Platinum members only?

Other than that, nothing much to fault this new property.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hotel rooms were very nice - clean and comfortable. The service at the hotel was also generally very good (with some execptions, explained further below). The woman at conceirge who helped us was SO nice and helpful. We wanted to find out how to get from the hotel into the city to see the sights, and she gave us 2 options, showed us on the map how to get the free shuttles from the other hotels, and gave us a free guide to Macau and some recommendations on what to see. You could tell she enjoyed her job and was really happy to help us, which always makes a difference.
Me and my husband tried out the room service, which was suprisingly good - the burger my husband ordered was amazing, and the staff who brought our cart in was super nice. The spa at the hotel was also really nice - good massage and nice rooms - only thing is that they either don't have or we weren't offered the use of any steam room or sauna, which would have been a nice touch.

Ok the negatives. The hotel is FREEZING!! It was over 30 degrees celcius outside but we had to bundle up with jumpers inside since they blast the aircon on. But this seems to be how all the hotels in Macau seem to run - freezing cold! If you come to this hotel, you have to bring a sweater.
Breakfast was awful!! Breakfast was included in our package, and when we checked in the receptionist told us that we were to have breakfast each morning at the Feast. So the first morning we get to the Feast at about 8:45 a.m., and the line is huge! It goes all the way around the corner. One of the hotel staff starts herding people waiting in line to one of the ballrooms upstairs where they've set up another breakfast buffet, telling people that they wouldn't have to wait in line. Since half the people went upstairs we decided to stick it out and wait in line at the Feast. After waiting 15 minutes, we finally get to the front of the line and handed the staff our breakfast "coupons", but were told by the staff that these "coupons" were for the ballroom upstairs and not for the Feast. We were pretty annoyed since the receptionist had told us to go to the Feast, and also didn't understand why the staff couldn't just let us eat at the Feast since we'd been waiting in line - it was clear that they were moving people who were meant to eat at the Feast to the ballroom, so no idea why they couldn't make an exception for us. When we finally got upstairs to the ballroom, there was another huge line. We ended up waiting for 40 minutes!!! I felt bad for the older guests and those with babies who had to stand in line for ages - none of the staff offered them any chairs to sit on whilst waiting.

When we finally got into the ballroom the breakfast was definitely not worth the wait - one of the WORST breakfasts ever. There was a general lack of breakfast options and the food was cold.

To be fair, there was no breakfast line when we went the next day (most people had properly checked out by then), but the breakfast food was still not great.

However, other than the bad breakfast experience, I would still recommend staying at the hotel if you just wanted to get away for a weekend. It is well situated within walking distance to other hotels like the City of Dreams and Venetian, and it is easy to get one of the free shuttles at the other hotels to take you into the city.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KLStraveller
SheratonMacao, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and found our convenient location beneficial.

Regarding your breakfast experience at our hotel, we have shared your feedback with respective departments for further review and improvement. Additional training and guidelines will also be provided to our associates so to ensure we meet the Sheraton standard, and more importantly to meet our guests’ expectations.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apology for any inconvenience we have caused you. We highly appreciate your feedback, as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for one night when we went to Macau for a concert. While I'm impressed with the room, everything else seems to have gone downhill from there. We were told at reception that we get free wi-fi service in our room, but apparently that wasn't the case, as we keep getting this pop-up message saying we need to pay in order to use the wi-fi. Needless to say, we couldn't use wi-fi during our stay at the hotel. Not something I expected from a 5-star hotel.

Ordering room service was another disaster. They told us our food would arrive within 40 minutes after we placed the order, but we had to wait for over an hour. When we call to check, the staff acted as if he did not even receive our order in the first place (then hung up on us). We finally had to call again, and this time another staff told us it's on the way ("going up the elevator"). It was a bit frustrating for us because we were almost late for the concert due to the late room service. When we got back from the concert, we noticed the room service cart hasn't been cleared out. Once again, we tried calling for someone to clear out the cart, but instead of directing us to the right department, we keep getting voice messages and advertisements on the phone. It's as if all the operators are off-duty after 11pm. My friend and I had to wheel the cart out by ourselves in the end. Definitely NOT something I expected from a 5 star hotel.

It's really a shame about the service quality, since I quite like the hotel atmosphere, as well as the restaurants and bars (particularly Bene, the Italian restaurant). Hopefully there will be an improvement should I ever choose to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. While we strive to provide the best service to our guests at Sheraton Macao Hotel, we are very disappointed to know that our service did not meet your expectations. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at our hotel.

We have shared your feedback with respective departments for further review and improvement. Additional training and guidelines will also be provided to our associates so to ensure we meet the Sheraton standard, and more importantly to meet our guests’ expectations.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We highly appreciated your feedback, as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do, and we hope for the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I've booked the a deluxe twin room via agoda and below is my review of the hotel's facilities and amenities.

Shuttle: Free airport shuttle until 10:30pm which is great as we saved taxi fare.

Lobby: Big lobby however, there was maintenance on-going, free-wifi in the lobby and hotel restaurants

Reception/Check-in: Quick check-in at the SPG counter and quick check-out through the express checkout counter

Room: Surprised that it was very spacious and we had a partial view of the Cotai strip which is great. The bed for me is the highlight since it was very comfortable. Toiletries were generic Sheraton items but they did smell good (Mandarin Orange). No free-WiFi if you booked via agoda.

Special Requests/Others: We requested for a late check-out for 2pm since we arrived at 1030pm. I think it is a reasonable request and I would have booked direct if I had known earlier that you get late check-out at 2pm and free room wifi. They did however give, 12nn checkout.

Love the cake that they gave my dad since it was his bday. Even though, it was not a system, I think the special request in Agoda was not forwarded to Sheraton. The FO staff at the SPG counter was efficient and spoke great English. I think Katherine was her name.

Pool: I tried the pool however, there were too many people during our stay. And it made me cut my visit short. I saw the Conrad pool which has less than 10 people in it.

Overall, I would stay again at this property but will book directly next time to get late check out and free wifi. Would also consider checking out the next door property Conrad and/or Holiday Inn Cotai.

Tip: Try the koufu foodcourt for cheap eats (open until 11pm) and the apply for SPG Membership for offers and discount on food. Lastly, also check sandscotaicentral.com for better offers.

Room Tip: Request for a high room facing the cotai street for fantastic view of the Venetian.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
SheratonMacao, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Jambert D,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to know that you generally had a good stay here. Your kind words about our associates will be shared with the team as it will encourage us to improve more. Thank you again for spending time to share the experience with us. We all welcome your next stay in the near future.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

After reading my review if you think, I have been paid to write this.. It's incorrect because I am so impressed by the Hotel that I think they truly deserve to be written about. I generally travel a lot but I am too lazy to write reviews. Anyways, here's my story, 5 of my friends were staying in Sheraton in Macau, when one of the nights my husband dropped his phone and USD600 on our way to Casino. He didn't realize this until the next day. We informed the Hotel , the staff was extremely helpful and courteous; my husband got his mobile and money back. Later we were informed that both the things were found at two different locations in the hotel.

I want to really thank the staff of Sheraton for being so helpful.

Room Tip: Our rooms were on 14th floor and we loved it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Smriti S

Dear Smriti S,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to know that your valuable items have been found with the help of our associates. Your kind words will be shared with the team as it will encourage us to improve more. Once again, thank you for your review. We all look forward to your next stay in the near future.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Everything is well balanced and good quality to stay. I love spa and fitness as it is great design. The space is very simple and clean to exercise. Also steam sauna is my favorite in the world. For food, the sen serve us great lunch buffet and we always full. It was hard to have dinner at the night.

• Stayed: September 2013