“eh...... there is better”

Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central
Ranked #20 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have to be honest, I was not that impressed with the Sheraton Macau. Service was a bit slow....I requested a non smoking room, and the room REAKED of Cigar smoke. I called to complain from the lobby because even the phone was unhooked in the room. So they sent someone up 20 minutes later who also agreed that the rooms smelled like smoke. It was really nasty that they even put anyone in that room. Other than that, the rooms are typical Sheraton rooms, dont expect fast room service, the hotel is so large that it takes them forever just to bring ice. Location is pretty good since its right across the Venetian which I stayed at the month prior....I think if you can spend the money, go for the venetian, their smallest room is 75 sqm. Buffet was not bad, but cheap.....you get what you pay for I guess.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonMacao, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear A4turbo21,

Thank you for your review. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at our hotel. We are taking every action possible to make sure that our services will be improved, and we assure you that additional training and guidelines will be provided to our associates to ensure we meet the Sheraton standards, and more importantly to meet our guests’ expectations. We hope for the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Travelled in June 13 and stayed here for 3D/2nights. It is located on the Cotai Strip area where u find many new properties huddled together - Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Conrad and Venetian are all connected via Overbridges. Crown, Hard Rock & Hyatt are also just 100-300 mtrs away. This property has a mall area connected with plenty of shops,a kids play area on level 2, huge stores for kids stuff, an excellent food court on level 3 -- with an INDIAN OUTLET called ARUNA's Kitchen (Don't think many other properties can boast of that). Since these were our 5th and 6th nights away from home, our Son was already craving for some Indian food, so it was a blessing!

The breakfast area is quite large, enough to accommodate a small wedding ! But on the last day, even that wasn't enough to accommodate the surge that came along with the Occupancy levels. The staff was quite attentive to this, and they whisked away many of the waiting people to another restaurant (Xian) on the ground floor so they could have breakfast at an alternate location without having to wait for too long. Impressed !! Many hotels would have simply asked their guests to wait and be patient.

The casino on the ground floor is decent too. I particularly enjoyed the Social Hour at the SPG counter where we had a wine tasting session with some snacks and I particularly enjoyed my conversation with their Manager Luigi. We requested for a late check out and the hotel extended the same by an hour, considering the overflow of tourists during this weekend.

Especially impressed with the Landscaping done in the common areas, giving it a nature-based theme, with lots of created Greens, Rock formations, Waterfalls & water-features etc.

This was my 3rd visit to Macau in the last 10 years and this area (Cotai on Taipa Island) is just 10-15 mins by road to the Old (original) Ferry terminal and just next to the Airport. They have free shuttle buses for tourists who want to travel between this place and the Wynn/MGM/Lisboa/Macau Ferry terminal stretch.
I was amazed to see the number of hotels that have come up, especially during the last 5 years, and most of the development has taken place in this part of town -- not to exclude a few more hotels which are still under construction. It's a good hotel for someone who is coming with kids particularly since I didn't find too many attractions for kids in the other properties that I visited.

Room Tip: Our room was in the Sky Tower high floor Level 1-XX06 gives u a view of the Pool from Sheraton &...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We just got back last week - early June. My parents and I stayed at Sheraton Macao for three and a half nights (due to late flight). We highly impressed since our first step into the hotel. Staff were overly friendly. We dined in due to this is a casino resort so it's difficult to go out and grab food.

We took the airport limo (MOP150). According to the check-in (SPG) lady, the rate was decent since Macao's cabbies tend to rip you off for no reason e.g. not giving you changes and etc. And we experienced that on the way from hotel to the airport. The meter showed MOP43, I intended to give MOP50. He said 'MOP60' so I gave the guy with the hope that he would help unload our suitcases. He did nothing and drove away with new passenger, he didn't even get out from his driving seat. But the hotel staff did all the work load all our bags into the cabby trunk. So I praise the exceptional bell service. All of them were great.

My advice is to take the free shuttle buses, the hotel provides shuttles to most places including airport, ferries and etc - from early morning till midnight. Since I travelled with senior, we needed to take cabs. If you want to take cabs, please prepare enough $$$ cos they tend to say they don't have changes and it's super hard to get one during rush hours e.g. 5pm. We were on the bus no 11 from the city to Taipa, then managed to get a cab that willing to drop us off at the hotel.

This hotel is part of Sands - Cotai Central. You can hop on any shuttles that said Holiday Inn, Conrad and Sheraton. These three hotels are in one giant property.

Sheraton occupied two bldgs (Sky tower and Earth tower)h 3898 rooms or something - the largest hotel in Macao as of last week. While Conrad is next door as well as the holiday inn. You can walk from one place to the other including the Venitian, City of Dreams and etc easily. Try to avoid walking on the street near City of Dream or The Venetian at night, there are too many Chinese hookers and pimps. I'd suggest senior, kids and etc to stay indoor after dark.

Restaurants:
1) Xin (Chinese hot pot food). The week we went they featured food from Xian region/town in China. We tried it cos it's new to us. Food esp seafood was so fresh and we enjoyed the soup - Chinese herb and chicken broth or something (can't recall the actual name). The staff were very nice esp Jamie. We ate at Xin twice.

2) Bene (Italian Restaurant). They have lunch menu, very reasonable - about MOP120 for two courses and MOP180 for three courses. We did order something off the menu too but all were great. Monica recommended strawberry basil mojito, it was great and very refreshing. Then Anne (the inventor of strawberry basil mojito) suggested that I tried her other invention la dolce vita. It was nice too, esp the green grapes. The service level is outstanding at this restaurant. Again, we went there twice. I wish they serve drinks (alcohol ones faster)

3) Feast (buffet). Food was so so, nothing spectacular and service is just ok.

4) Palms. I ordered take out food on my last day, their sandwiches were good esp chicken sandwich. I tried the rice dumpling or something that costs MOP288 (one stuffed with Abalone and all good ingredients). I found it so so too. BUT the staff were nice.

That's it about their food and dining experience

Will I go back to Macao? No. Will I stay at this property again? Definitely (if they move it out of China). I don't like Macao because I'm not used to live in the environment where ppl are loud and rude (most ppl who come here are from the world's most populous nation, 3 billions something last time I checked) And I can't stand them.

Room Tip: For elderly, better get rooms near elevators and Sky Tower where it's easier to reach the pool a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear euro2006,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to know you and your family had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for your kind words about our facilities and services, we have shared with our associates. It means a lot for us as it will encourage us to improve our service to another level. Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton for one night. We took the shuttle from the China border. This was a bit confusing as we had to stop at the Sands and then transfer to another bus. The bus driver did not speak English but with a little searching, we were able to find signs for a shuttle to the Sheraton. All in all worth it because it was free. We paid for a three person room but there was only one bed. They offered to move us but because we were only in Macao for one night, we said no thank you, just bring us enough towels and pillows for the night. The pool was beautiful and the hotel is in a great location with free transportation to the other part of Macao. All in all, I figured it would not be as nice as the other hotels in the area, but was pleasantly surprised. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel is mint new so everything is really sparkling. It’s a beautiful piece of propriety indeed, with a nice shopping mall attached, decent food court and restaurants. But it is surrounded by many huge construction sites – so don’t expect a good view from the window.
I got a nice big room with classy furniture, big TV, luxurious bathroom and bed was also comfortable. But beware of late check-in only after 15.00 and check out at 11.00.
The biggest problem is that service is slow. But it’s understandable cause for a new venue it takes time for everything to start working well. Though lack of politeness and lack of smiles of staff is quite strange.
A list of wines for a room service was very small and overpriced. I asked if it is possible to deliver wine from any of the restaurants, but was denied of this option. I had to go to Italian restaurant and buy a bottle. It was actually much better that wines in list for a room.
Another disappointing thing that the swimming pool closes at 20.30. They did not explain why. For a vacation destination like Macao it is a strange and unattractive policy.
I am sure Sheraton will improve. And I will stay here second time, because property is very nice and they also proposed great rates comparing to other hotels around.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Dosada,

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad to know you have appreciated hotel facilities and location. We apology for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay, we have also shared your comments on service efficiency and service level with relevant departments for further review. We are taking every action possible to make sure that our services will be improved, and we assure you that additional training and guidelines will be provided to our associates to ensure we meet the Sheraton standards, and more importantly to meet our guests’ expectations. Once again, thank you for staying with us, we look forward welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights recently with my mum, and had the priviledge to be staying in the Club room with club facilities. The staff were very polite and warm, passionate in their jobs and rendered excellent services. The rooms were well designed, modern with comfy beds, and the best part is that its very quiet, so can have a good nite sleep... Enjoyed our buffet breakfast, and again the staffs here who served us coffee/tea are so well trained n nice and made us feel so welcome.
Me and my mum had an enjoyable stay in Sheraton Macao and will be back sooooon!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I managed to catch a very great offer online which is slightly above US$110 per night, room only, probably because they are running low 40-50% occupancy for a property of more than 3800 rooms. So, really a great deal for a property like Sheraton.

They have separate check-in area for SPG member and if you are not, they have at least more than 10 counters.

Booked and got a room with two beds, which was slightly bigger than a normal single but smaller than a queen size. Anyway, just enough for my two boys, wife and myself. But I doubt it will be comfortable if you are slightly bigger in size to share with another person.

- Wifi is not free, only if you are SPG member, but pretty fast enough to watch YouTube.
- Fantastic outdoor swimming pool with individual chalet/canopy. My kids really enjoyed it!
- There are four of us stayed there 3 nights, but everyday we need to ask for extra towels
- Only provide 1 set of toiletry although there were four of us
- Very comfortable bed
- Staff was very responsive and attentive to our request for extra amenities

Room Tip: - Sign up for SPG member - Request for room that is not too far from the lobby lift area because t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
SheratonMacao, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear mozart_y2k,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to know you and your family had a pleasant stay at Sheraton Macao. Thank you for your kind words about our facilities and services, it encourages us to become better. We have also shared your feedback about housekeeping with relevant department, please be ensure additional guidelines and training will be provided to the team. Once again, thank you for staying with us. You could find our latest promotions on hotel official sites, we look forward to welcome you back soon.