“5 Star at it's very best!!”

Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central
Ranked #18 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights on our honeymoon in a Club Room. It's hard to know where to start, there are so many good things to say. Rooms were grand, beautiful & well serviced. All staff were very friendly and polite. Pool was lovely & well attended too. Gym is the best hotel gym I've ever seen (book ahead if you want to participate in a class as they fill up quick).

The Club Room blew our expectations out if the water. When we booked it said something like, evening snacks available. Well they aren't just snacks, it's a whole buffet!! With Chefs carving meat. The bar staff are very attentive at monitoring when you need another drink. It was the best Club Room I've been in. As part of our package we also had vouchers for Feast and the steam boat restaurant - both we're fantastic. This is a true 5 Star hotel & I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Yes and no.

From a hardware features perspective (i.e., rooms, facilities, finishing, etc.) - I believe it is. From a soft features perspective (i.e., service, attention to detail, client attentiveness, other intantibles), I believe it can get there over time.

To clarify my 5-star ranking first, I think this hotel definitely deserves a top-10 ranking in Macau There's no reason it should be ranked where it is ranked now (low 30s). For anybody considering a "nice" hotel in Macau, the Sheraton should be on the shortlist, especially when evaluating value.

Tripadvisor aside, this hotel is a very solid 4-star property (which I think it what it is targeting anyway). It is not a 5-star such as a Four Seasons, Mandarin, Ritz or event SPG's own St. Regis. However, it is heads and shoulders above most other Sheratons I've stayed at in the U.S. and Canada which are typically 3-stars.

Rooms - excellent finishing and very spacious (no clutter). My wife and I stayed in a 1BR, 2 BA Executive Suite on the SPG Club floor and it was fantastic. Has all the amenities you would need, including typical 5-star "treats" such as complimentary shirt pressing and shoe shines. Finishing was quite nice and comparable to many of the newly renovated Westin properties.

Hotel - very spacious, not too crowded. We purposely wanted to avoid the chaos at other really jammed hotels such as the Venetian, Wynn and Galaxy. The Sheraton at Sands Cotai Central was perfect from this perspective. The hotel + casino did not have a significant mainland influence (although still the majority) and thankfully did not smell like cigarette smoke everywhere.

Pools + fitness - excellent. Not very busy at all and very nice. Gym was well equipped, especially for a hotel gym. Pool area is very large and spacious and comprised over a number of small pools surround by cabanas / chairs.

Location - very convenient location. Walking distance to both the City of Dreams complex (maybe ~5-8 mins walk) and across the street from Venetian complex (maybe same distance). The ability to walk was very convenient for us to visit these other properties and also to leverage other shuttle buses the City of Dreams offered.

Service - this area is a little bit hit-or-miss. Let me explain.

i. By management - service by management, many of which are expats, at front desk and around the property was excellent. Exactly what you would expect from a 5-star property actually. Very attentive, very responsive, very friendly, very helpful. My wife and I were there for a quick weekend trip to celebrate a belated wedding anniversary. We were given an excellent upgrade as well as other club benefits. The room was nicely decorated with rose petals on the bed and we were given wine, chocolate and fruits as well. We also were visited in the room by various management staff to say hello and welcome. All of which we appareciated. We were very pleasantly surprised by the management team here. If customers can only deal with management directly all the time, this hotel would be a 5-star property easily. Unfortunately, that is not a realistic expectation.

ii. By other general / junior level front-line staff - service by the others clearly needs more training and may need to fire the non-performing / lazy junior front-line staff. I think this is not unexpected of a very large hotel that just opened 2 months ago. Growing pains is certainly expected. Another possible factor is perhaps the difference between available good service-oriented junior staff (with experience) from western countries vs. from China. I would suspect it is not easy to find many well trained and experience front line junior staff from China / Asia that would meet the standards of a 4-star / 5-star hotel as it is defined in the west. Certainly, not enough to meet the demands of a 3,600+ rooms hotel. But again, hopefully over time with enough training and time to weed out the bad employees, service level will be more uniform across all levels and areas

To give you an example, one personal pet peeve and a common occurance amongst the junior front-line staff is that they often "deflected" responsibilities. Whereas in other top tier hotels, the service would typically "own responsibility" much more.

Example 1 - as simple as requesting a sign-up to the Sands Rewards Program, the person on the phone simply said to "go get it from the casino". I thought that was unacceptable. I expected the person to help coordinate with the casino and help me sign up for the program and upon check out, I'll simply have to sign the form. At least this was the protocol that I experienced at many other top hotels for a very similar request.

Example 2 - simply asking for ketchup at the lounge breakfast proved to be difficult. The first waitress simply said to me to "get it myself from the front". The second waitress said she'll get it but completely forgot. The third waiter (more seasoned, spoke English, clearly trained and experienced) finally got the ketchup as requested, instead of telling me to get it myself.

I didn't ding the hotel on these shortcomings for two reasons. First, this hotel is located in China afterall and staffed with many "local" staff members so on a relative basis, it is quite good. It is only when you compare it to other hotel experiences in other parts of the world it falls short. Second, this hotel just opened. I think it's important to put this in perspective and give them a chance to iron out the growing wrinkles and to get into a pattern (especially important to run such a large hotel)

One other area for improvement - shuttle bus / taxis. During my stay, the taxi queue was extremely long. After waiting 20 mins, only 2 taxis came by. Not sure if the hotel needs to coordinate with taxi companies better or have other indicators on the outside that there is lengthy line of guests waiting. But certainly staying at a hotel with no taxis available is somewhat problematic. In terms of shuttle bus, the Sands Cotai Central does not offer any of its own shuttle buses (Sheraton + Conrad + Holiday Inn complex). They suggested that we go to the City of Dreams. While this was not a critical issue, it was however a 15 mins walk to go to the bus depot at CoD. So since taxis were not available, guests really didn't have any other option but to walk.

Room Tip: Only have stayed in Executive Suite and loved it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RNG1008
SheratonMacao, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear RNG1008,

Thank you very much for spending your time to share your very comprehensive review on our hotel, we are deeply touched by the kind words you’re said about us. We are also delighted that you like the hotel location, room amenities, general facilities, and you had enjoyed your stay with us. We strive every day to ensure our guests have a wonderful time at our hotel and it is extremely encouraging for someone to tell us. As for the service standard and quality, we have already brought this to our management’s attention, and we assure you that additional training and guidelines will be provided to our associates to ensure we meet the Sheraton standards, more importantly to meet our guests’ expectations. For the hotel shuttle bus, Sands Cotai Central has its own shuttles buses with regular schedule to most major transportation points, such as airport, ferry terminations, etc. However, we will pass your transportation arrangement suggestion to Sands Cotai Central for their consideration. Once again, we appreciated your feedback and we look forward to servings you again soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Day 1- nothing in any of the material I had been sent indicated there was a shuttle bus from Ferry terminal to hotel. People from the Venetian Hotel graciously assisted, as not a sign, or person was in the arrival area to guide. Most major hotels had some form of information posted in arrivals area.
- checked in Club level room, and 20 minutes later, 3 giggling young people walked in the room with no warning, knock or any notification while I was in the bathroom. "Checking on water" I was told. Nice room overlooking a construction site with pile drivers banking away most of the day.
Day 2- Long line up to the breakfast lounge on Club level. It was suggested I proceed to main restaurant where the food was said to be better, but at a $20+ cost. Room cleaned at 4:30pm
Day 3 - It's 6pm, after a long day of walking and touring come back to find room not yet made up. 2nd time this has happened in 3 days, as cleaning staff focus on cleaning vacated rooms instead of still occupied room. I asked a cleaning staff member for ice and she indicated I had to call room service. No machine on floor.
The hotel still has teething problems, so guests should be pre warned , and I fear what will happen when tower 2 opens next year. Also, main part of Macau is across a bridge a 20 minute ride away, and to get there its a HK$70 each way, not terrible just irritating that there is no shuttle service to other than the Ferry Terminal.

Room Tip: if you are a hard core gambler, great location because that is all there is on this man made island...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
SheratonMacao, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear BJB283,

We want to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant incidents you had experienced at our hotel, and we agree that our service did not live up to the level of quality that our guests have come to expect from our hotel.

Your feedback is extremely important and will help us in becoming better at what we do, and we will take whatever steps are necessary to ensure the incidents that you had experienced do not happen again in the future. Additional trainings and guidelines will be provided to our associates to ensure we meet the Sheraton standards, and more importantly to meet our guests’ expectations.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We highly appreciated your feedback, and we hope for the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a HUGE hotel, presently approx. 3'000 rooms - of which 570 are CLUB rooms, soon upgrading to 6'000 rooms. And doe to this everything is huge and very, very crowded, the reception, the lobby, the "Club Lounge".

If you don't have any SPG tier - good luck, you'll wait. If you have Gold tier you'll wait some minutes. I do have Platinum tier with SPG so normally I would be entitled to check in at the Club Lounge. Sadly they told me this when I already went through the line at Gold tier check-in (even I told them that I do have Platinum status).

Okay, up to the lounge. Everything is huge, but missing style and flair. Just nothing has any style, just like the standard 3* US chain hotel. We were upgraded to an Executive Suite which is really nice - but you've to walk and walk and walk. Long, long corridors without pictures, just empty walls.

The most terrible thing is the "Club Lounge". This has to serve 570 rooms and therefore has nothing to do with a Club Lounge at all. I stay at SPG because of the quitness of the Lounge, the more personal flair. But not here. This lounge has the "flair" of an US airlines lounge, but not First Class.

The food is poor, very poor. Yes, big selection, but it's clearly quantity over quality. And the presentation is horrible! Can you imagine how the platters look when people of 570 rooms are taking from them? Plus they don't replace fats enough. So you always have some totally massed up and some empty platters standing around. To get a Diet Coke is luck - because mostly the cooler with the soft drinks was empty.

The service staff is working really hard - but they're just not enough to serve this terrible "Club Lounge". If you want to go to the "Club Lounge" - try to get a table outside. At least it's nicer than sitting in this railway station waiting hall inside. Eat the fruits, they're good - avoid the rest. And don't even think of trying this "Cappuccino" they're serving for breakfast, it's just colored water.

If this hotel would have 3* - it would be 5 points in tripadvisor. But at higher than 3* ranking it's just a bad joke. Next time, despite my SPG Platinum status, I'll for sure chose another, more personal, more stylish hotel than this too huge Sheraton.

Room Tip: At another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HONkiev

Dear HONkiev,

We would like to thank you for spending your time to inform us that our service did not meet your expectations. We regret any inconvenience you have experienced, and we agree that the high standards of our services were not met in this instance.

We have addressed the matters directly with related departments, and we are taking every action possible to make sure that our services will be improved. Additional trainings and guidelines will be provided to our associates to ensure we meet the Sheraton standards, and more importantly to meet our guests’ expectations.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We are grateful for your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. It is our company’s aim to satisfy our guests. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future and surely take your feedback for improvements.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I booked for two interconnecting rooms with a pre-opening offer price. All the hotel staff are friendly and attentive. They were kindly to offer a wheelchair to my aged father and also a fast track for check-in purpose. Still the check-in procedure required nearly half an hour and the two keys were found unable to open the doors. I hope after some time their service could be enhanced without the little chores we faced.

The hotel is built up with various little swimming pools, but it is adquate for my family alone to have one to swim with.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

We would like to thank you for the kind words you said about our hotel. We strive every day to ensure our guests have a wonderful time at our hotel, and it is extremely encouraging for someone to tell us. For the long-wait to check-in and the key problem, please accept our sincerest apology for the inconvenience caused to you. We will provide additional trainings and guidelines to our associates to ensure we meet the Sheraton standards, more importantly to meet our guests’ expectations.

We hope to serve you again in the future and surely take your feedback for improvements.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was my first time to Macau...and WOW! It's amazing on so many levels.
It's always lovely to stay at Sheraton Hotels and this trip really confirmed it to us.

We caught the courtesy bus from the ferry terminal and were shown to the huge lobby for checkin at the SPG desk. There we were told we had been upgraded to the Sky Tower, which put us on a floor high up. Unfortunately not a view of the Cotai strip.
Staff were professional, efficient and helpful as always.
It was a very long walk to the room, down a corridor we called the "Green Mile."(color of the decor/carpets) . We barely saw another person on our floor the whole time of our stay.
The room/beds were large and clean with a wonderful bathroom with bath and separate, spacious shower.
Once we got our bearings, we discovered the hotel is part of the Sands complex, which contains other hotels all connected by an array of top end designer stores. You can walk for miles and venture across the main road to see the other casinos, such as The Venetian and The Galaxy. The Sheraton is actually the last hotel along the Cotai (for now anyway). We were a bit confused about transport ie. which bus to take and where but it was an easy 15 min taxi ride to the historical side of Macao, which was well worth it. In comparison to what we saw, the Sheraton is a more sedate, sensible hotel without all the garrishness of others. It is still very grand in its own way though.
The pool area is divided into sections with cabanas to give guests a feeling of spaciousness and privacy. The gaming area seemed only frequented by Chinese (we were the only Westerners around) and is discreetly screened off from view form the lobby, although easily accessible for those who must.
The breakfast buffet @ Feast deserves a special mention. It was by far the best we have ever seen with a wonderful choice of hot and cold foods. Salads, soups, platters of meats, salmon, Indian, Japanese, eggs, cheese section, breads and an entire sweets section of cupcakes, muffins, waffles and baked goodies.
The cocktail bar next to the lobby was a nice spot to have a nightcap and listen to some music.
Overall a very pleasant experience, we only stayed 2 nights but can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Cotai Strip view would be nice at night. For those with walking issues, ask for a room close to th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Solsista

We are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. Your thoughts are important to us, but we are especially pleased when the feedback is positive. Once again, thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel about our services. We appreciate your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have stayed here mid October around 1 month after opening. I have to say for a huge resort like this the staff is very attentive and friendly, but compared to other large resorts e.g. in Las Vegas there is also just a fraction of guests around.

Clearly Macau is a day destination and many tourists, specially mainland Chinese, come over for just 1 day of sightseeing and gambling and leave in the evening. At 10 a.m. around 100 persons where already lined up for the players club card registration to open.

I naturally came for the same things, doing a little sightseeing and gambling. Stayed in a standard room and was offered to upgrade for an extra USD 30 per day to a Club room, but since I was not spending much time in the room, I did not go for the offer.

One day I took breakfast at their buffet which was priced at around USD 40, but was serving a very large variety on foods. From your typical breakfast dishes, up to Asian delicacies and a whole area of breads, pastries and a pancake/crepes station. Just wonderful!

The complete resort complex is quite high end as you can only find top brand stores like Rolex, Gucci, Bottega Veneta, Hermes etc. in the shopping part. You can simply walk over to the Conrad and Holiday Inn Hotels which are part of the Sands Cotai Strip complex as well. Between all those high end shops, it was actually quite odd to find a McDonalds, but looking at the long waiting line it seemed to be very popular.

The large food court area was literally empty the two times I have visited it. The first time during Lunch time where I was the only person sitting there, the second time during Dinner time about 4 customers were spread around over a seating area for 200 people. Might maybe also be because only Asian food was available and no international food or big brands where there. The only international brand was HagenDazs ice cream, but hey at least it is not always the same boring food court mix of BK, McD's and KFC.

At around 7 p.m. you really could see how empty the hotel got. The casino was maybe frequented to a fourth and the most popular games are those that I do not understand, like PaiGow, Baccarat, a game with a spinning wheel and one with a lighting board. Unfortunately the staff could not speak English and explain me any of these games. Never mind, i concentrated on the two games i knew: Roulette and Black Jack.
The table limits are quite high, the minimum bet for Black Jack is USD 30 per hand and 5 USD for Roulette.

I also ordered room service twice and had a quick and friendly service.

Why I know that not many tourists are staying overnight in Macau? I also walked over to the City of dreams complex with the HardRock and Hyatt Hotel as well as the Venetian Macau. Walking by the Cotai strip is is really lonely. There where hardly other people and if I saw one or two, they actually where staff going home.

Offcourse I also looked at the old city center with the Lisboa, Grand Lisboa, Wynn and MGM. There where clearly more people around there, but still not even close to Las Vegas.

If you want to do a city tour on a open double decker bus, there is one from the ferry terminal that lets you hopp on and off when you want to. The concierge only wants to sell you the tour with the hotel travel agent located at the shopping complex.

All in all I would suggest to stay at this hotel now, as long as it is not yet very crowded

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo