“Friendly front desk, annoying security”

Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central
Ranked #20 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Nice rooms, massive shopping mall, and Frederico at the check in desk could not have been more friendly and accommodating.

This is a family oriented hotel (they have a daily Dreamworks character meet and greet and parade) so they are extremely cautious about children entering the gaming area. The casino is completely walled off from the rest of the hotel with two security guards posted at each entrance. We weren't allowed in without a passport.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom I
Ernest C, Manager at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Macao Catai Central. Frederico is very happy to receive your compliment on his service. Since there are rules and regulations at casino, people is required to bring along identity card or travel document. I am sorry for any inconvenience casused.
Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Ernest

Write a ReviewReviews (1,582)

Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is a pretty new hotel (2 years old), located near airport and ferry terminal, but away from town centre. It is part of a 5 hotels complex, on 2 sides of a road, linked by a bridge. There are miles of shopping underground, mostly expensive brand names. Casinos are independent for each hotel, in small restricted areas. There are restaurants for different budgets downstairs, including a food court.
Rooms are good size of bright red color, modernly decorated and clean. Everything looks new. My room can see Sheraton’s swimming pool (see photo). Beds are of good size and have different softness pillows.
Its swimming pool, outdoor, contains several small shallow pools, mainly for kids, no life guard. It holds some supervised kids’ activities.

Room Tip: looks for a room to face front.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Ernest C, Manager at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review with us. It is our pleasure to receive your good feedbacks which are valuable for our future improvement. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Macao.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed two nights in this hotel during the summer vacation. The room was clean, tidy and comfortable. The bed was large and softly comfortable. We enjoyed lovely sleep and full of energy to visit shops and food corners. There are three hotels of the group in Sands Cotai Central viz. Conrad, Sheraton and Holiday Inns. All these three hotels I have stayed and all of them are nice. From cost-effectiveness angle, the Holiday Inns is the best. Though it is slightly cheaper than the other two, its facilities and services are as good as, if not more than, the others. By the way, I have also lived in the Venetian Hotel and the Galazy Hotel nearby which are larger than Holiday Inns and equally nice to stay. It appears that Cotai, Central has become the centre of Macau tourism after the establishment of so many large groups of hotel and casino there. In particular, the free shuttle bus services provided by these hotels are extremely convenient and you can actually travel to almost all places in Macau.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KLChung

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you can relax and feel the difference at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central. It is a wonderful experience to explore Cotai and connection to main Macau city and other destinations proved to be convenient with our free shuttle services. We wish to welcome you back again at this exciting hub.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

its v good hotel,location also nice,room is v good,
interior also superb,i like v much this hotel..
service also v.good
and free bus service,restaurant is ok,a huge gambling and shopping
its excellent..
i enjoyed a lot..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ernest C, Manager at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central. We are so delighted to your compliment as 'Excellent hotel'. We will definitely strive to bring our service to the next level so as to create a Great Hotels Guests Love.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in the Venetian and 2 nights at the Holiday Inn. One would think that Holiday Inn would be pale in comparison with Venetian but no, we liked Holiday Inn as much as we did Venetian. Their rooms are not suites but they are big enough for us. We love their bed and the comfortable stay it offered us. We liked that their lobbies are more quiet compared to Venetian where you see thousands of tourists all the time. We enjoyed the DreamWorks character theme in their lobby as it brings the kids in us out.

This hotel is one of our favorites.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RandellTiongson

Thank you for your comment and good to hear you had a comfortable stay with us. DreamWorks charaters bring joy not only to children but also to adult. We look forward to welcoming you back and sharing the happiness with our DreamWorks charaters again soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

There are a lot of nice things about this hotel. It's part of Sands Cotai Central, a huge gambling and shopping complex, opened less than two years ago. My room was in excellent physical condition with good curtains. It was quiet - until the banging about 10 AM one morning. I'm not sure what was involved. The pool complex is nice.

Front desk service was good, including English, even though less than 5% of the people I saw visiting were Caucasian. The registration desk is at the front of the complex, a long way from the elevators that lead to the rooms, at least 100 meters involving two turns. The front desk is also a long way from the shuttle bus drop off, and the signs aren't very obvious lugging bags around midnight.

I also had lunch at the hotel lobby restaurant, which was fair. I wish I would have known enough to sign up for the Sands card before lunch, because there are credits involved. This can be my helpful tip for others. :) There are also lots of other places to eat if you head towards the Sheraton wing of the complex, or cross the street to the mall.

Overall, this is a good 4 star hotel. The Conrad in the same complex has nicer rooms, but on the days I visited cost US$50 more per night. I have no hesitation suggesting the Holiday Inn as a medium priced Macau option. I wish the hotel desk and shuttle buses were in more convenient places.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your detail review on our hotel and the complex. It's delighted to hear that you recommend our hotel as one of the option lodging in Macau. Since there is an improvement work on 39/F, noise may generate to lower floors. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Special appreciation and thanks extended to me by Freeman and Lois! Getting to know that I was not a in-house guest, but still going through the long hassle that took almost 2 hours of calling the travel agent back home and to Hong
Kong to amend my flight ticket as I had decided to shorten my stay in Macau.

Freeman and Lois did not question further, nor exchanging "huh" glances or passing any comments, but took control of my issue and handled there and then.

As I told them that the hotel concierge which I was staying in actually, told me straight in the face that flight ticket amendment was unable to be handled and referred me to Cotai Travel which second time put me off by saying that they do not handle flight amendment as well.

Neither did the Cotai Travel offered to assist me if I could call any agent back home to help me. When I asked how do I use the public phone to call home or to China. The reply from the lady was: "I do not use a public phone, so I do not know either."

I was totally pissed off and helpless as a foreigner. Hence, I decided to try the Concierge in Holiday Inn Cotai as I had first good impression the day before when I lost my way. What I asked and said were well-received and well explained by a Non-Chinese staff then. Hence I decided to try my chance again as I needed some staff to fully understand my situation and assist me to get things done.

Warmly greeted by Freeman and Lois as I approached the counter. They fully understood what I told them with zero repeating off my words and no sight of hesitation to me - a non-in-house guest. Though I speak Chinese but I would be better communicate out what I needed to bring across in English, given the homeland I was brought up. Freeman and Lois listened attentively and reverted efficiently.

Lois offered 2 choices to me - calling back home to locate my agent or call to Hong Kong directly. As I was ignorant, thinking that my local agent could help better, hence chose the first choice. True enough, my local agent did not help much. Leading to both of them to re-try everything again by calling to Hong Kong. I really appreciate the time and patience given to me.

Not forgetting Lisa, whom showed me back to the Lobby Lounge as much waiting was required during the whole process. The same genuine friendliness, smile and thoughtfulness of hers was also witnessed by me on the other day with her and an elderly guest in the Lobby Lounge.

The Lobby Lounge staff initiated a glass of water during my wait and keeping my personal items and order of tea intact while I was running through and fro the lounge, Concierge and back to my hotel room.

I was totally touched by the extra mile that happened within the 2 hours of happening!

I felt bad that they had to be put through the hassle in an issue of me whom stayed in other hotel in fact.

Lois ended off the whole encounter with a very impressively good note - "Regardless of if you are staying in Holiday Inn, you are still my guest living in Cotai Centre!"

As travellers, we could never put our service encounters words by words. By they will be remembered though.

How could I had not put a review in Trip Advisor for this heart-touching hospitality and extra mile given by these few staff during my alone trip in Macau after 20 odd years
which service was not even a Wow then!

Thank you for everything and thank you so much!

Regards,
Sophie

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Sophie W

Thank you for taking time to write us a review after your visit. We are very delighted to know you are happy with our service, especially at Concierge. I have shared your compliment with Freeman, Lois and Liza and they appreciated very much for your kind words that truely encourage them to bring the service to the next level. Thank you. We all look forward to welcoming you at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central in the near future.