“Most famous Pork Chop bun in Macau”
Review of Tai Lei Loi Kei

Tai Lei Loi Kei
Ranked #218 of 743 Restaurants in Macau
Cuisines: Chinese, Portuguese
Hong Kong, China
1,753 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 12,002 helpful votes
“Most famous Pork Chop bun in Macau”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Tai Lei Loi Kei is another wildly famous establishment in Macau, known for their Choapa Bao (Pork Chop Bun). The original Tai Lei Loi Kei is found in the old Taipa Village near the History of Taipa and Coloane Museum. Queues can often be very long, a testament to the popularity of this long standing eatery with locals. There is often tables setup for you to sit and enjoy your pork bun as well.

In recent years, Tai Lei Lok Kei has opened up a branch in the Venetian Canal Shoppes area. Also, recently, they opened a small branch on the street just off the bottom steps of the Ruins of St. Paul in the main Historic Center of Macau.

During our recent visit to Macau, we sampled the pork buns at the original location in Taipa and the branch near the Ruins of St. Paul to see if we could detect a difference. Unfortunately, in both cases, the pork buns we were served tasted very ordinary and not worthy of the accolades often given to Tai Lei Loi Kei for their delicious pork bun sandwiches. To be completely honest, neither were much different than the usual pork buns you can buy in other restaurants and on the streets of Macau.

We were left concerned that Tai Lei Loi Kei might be living off their historical reputation now and going cheap on the meals. Really hope this isn't the case and that we just happened to have two unlucky visits in a row. Not sure when we'll return considering the amount of very good food to try when in Macau. However, for those wanting to sample famous foods in Macau, this is another one to make time for.

• Visited February 2013
7 Thank BradJill

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
“Famous for Pork Chop Bun”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This restaurant use to be very famous with it "Pork Chop Bun" when I was residing in Macao. There is a shop in Taipa Village which has long queue of guests buying for it's bun.

I have been eating this bun from 2007-2009. When I revisit Macao in 2012, they opened a new shop in the Venetian. Honestly the bun is now sub standard. I prefer the bun those days. It is smaller and more expensive.

I would rate the pork chop bun now is average. Most of the coffee house in Taipa can compete with this famous store nowadays.

Visited October 2012
San Francisco, California
“Just go to Venetian!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I got off the ferry from HK to Macau with two missions: pork chop buns and po' tats. Macau, however, was not as easy to navigate as the other cities. We were initially lost, because we couldn't figure out the Chinese from Google maps and we ambitiously tried to take the bus. We ended up spontaneously getting off the bus, when we realized we had no clue where we were going. Walked in circles for a taxi, but to no avail. Finally, I found a guard. I pointed at my printed out destination and address. He pointed a direction, and we just walked. We ended up walking to a bustling alley (not sure where) with food vendors and settled for the nearest vendor that sold pork chop buns and po' tats. With some relief to our mission, we finally hailed a taxi and requested a ride to the Venetian, at least something more familiar to us Westerners.

Lo and behold, we find that not only Lord Stow's famous Portuguese egg tarts (via Anthony Bourdain) are sold here, but Tai Lei Loi Kei's famous pork chop buns (via Anthony Bourdain) also have a counter here! Navigating the Venetian hallways were a challenge--we looked at the floor map about 4 times, but nothing compared to the road we endured to get to our food.

Honestly, I didn't find as much just joy to the pork bun. It's literally a piece of pork smacked in the middle of a bun with no sauce, no veggies, no frills. Maybe I was too exhausted from getting around to this place that I didn't see the magic in this.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Halo345
USA
“overated”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've seen the restaurant and the pork chop burger on TV and magazines for many times before I went to Macau. I have to say i am disappointed. The burger is tasty but there is no wow factor.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank analymous
Toronto, Canada
“Best Pork Bun in Hong Kong”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Unable to try out the store in Macau however found their new store in Central Hong Kong ....the pork bun is very tasty, the pork is well seasoned and great value for your money.

• Visited December 2012