“Super fine cookies”

Ranked #5 of 12 Bakeries in Macau
Chennai (Madras), India
“Super fine cookies”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

People come in droves to taste their cookies, and they are simply awesome. Numerous varieties are on display and most of them offer free samples to taste, these boxes fly off the shelves in no time. They also have a live counter where they demonstrate how they are made. Their Egg tart was a revelation ! There were many other specials like cured meats. Macau is famous for its cookies and there is no better place to buy them than Koi Kei .

• Visited February 2014

• Thai first
Manila, Philippines
“love their delicacies”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Whenever you go to Macau do not forget to bring back home some Macanese delicacies from this bakery. You'll have tons of options and I think they're all good.

Visited January 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Agree, this is the best bakery in the world”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I can't wait for them to open a store in Australia as you can't get egg rolls, almond cakes, banana rice rolls, portugese tarts, sesame lollies like these in Australia. Even other Macau branded ones that are sold in Australia are no where as nices. They have a few stores in Hong Kong fortunately, as I visit HK a lot including a few weeks ago and usually get some almond cakes and sesame candies whilst I am in HK. I have only been to Macau twice and both times I visited their original store in Macau near the ruined St Paul cathedral and that is the best store as it has more options. I think that is the only store that also sells Portugese tarts that are freshly made and let me tell you the ones you get in Portugal are no where as nice. I was in Portugal for 1 week 2 years ago and I tried Portugese tarts from all these different bakeries as I love Portugese tarts but none of them made anything close to the divine ones they make at Koi Kei.

Another big bonus is they give you very generous samples of their foods so you can pretty much stuff yourself without having to pay anything.

• Visited December 2013
Hong Kong, China
“Not as Good as Before”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I remembered visiting one of the many Koi Kei bakeries in Macau years ago and being wowed by the Macanese/Cantonese-style snacks sold here. Needless to say I walked away with bags of peanut candies and boxes of egg rolls.

Visiting Koi Kee several years later, I'm sorely disappointed to find that its standards have slipped greatly. Don't get me wrong, the snacks are still delicious but the peanuts don't taste as fresh, the ginger candies seemed a little too sweet and the egg rolls less fragrant. Judging by the crowds in the bakery's locations and the number of tourists touting Koi Kee's paper bags of goodies though, business seems to be doing very well.

Still, I bought my stash of snacks from a couple of mom and pop bakeries I encountered along the streets. Koi Kee has become too overrated and pricey for me. Of course, if you're buying the baked goods as gifts, the Koi Kee name is likely to impress.

Visited January 2014
Singapore
“I can buy them in Singapore”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

They have a shop in Temple Street. I don't need to fly to HK or Macau fie the delicious almond biscuits.

• Visited December 2013

Been to Koi Kei Bakery? Share your experiences!