“Weekend Getaway”

Ranked #8 of 95 Hotels in Macau
manila
“Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Hands down to this hotel for clean lines and ultimate comfort. Wooden floors, comfortable pillow preferences, gorgeous bathroom, and not too crowded.

Room Tip: Checked in Deluxe and and it was far more than what we expected.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kersbabe
OkuraMacau, Guest Services Senior Manager at Hotel Okura Macau, responded to this review, February 18, 2016
Dear kersbabe,

Warmest greetings from Hotel Okura Macau. We miss you so much and it has been quite a while we have not heard from you. Thank you for your continued support and patronage to our hotel and we hope that you had enjoyed your last visit to Macau. We are very happy to share with you that our property has doubled the size by increasing the number of dining options to over 120 restaurants including Michelin star restaurants. Besides, we do have new shopping precinct featuring over 200 shops including first-to-Macau brands, luxury flagship stores, designer boutiques and high-street lifestyle favorites. Last but not the least; we do feature the world’s longest skytop aquatic adventure river ride at 575 meters - skytop adventure rapids which is just 5 minute access from our guest room at the Grand Resort Deck, together with world’s largest skytop wave pool and white sand beach, plus exhilarating waterslides, beach lagoons, white water rapids, geysers, waterfalls and kids zone.

It is our utmost pleasure to welcoming you back to the Japan’s legendary Okura Hotels & Resorts that provides one-stop services to you and your beloved family as we could not wait anymore to see you in the nearest future.

Hotel Okura Macau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Beautiful, new and clean. I quite like the slight Japanese feel of the room, just makes the room feel really open and big and clean. Service was good.

1 Thank crazy222frog
Dear crazy222frog,

Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here in October for a night in a deluxe room. The room itself was very well designed and equipped. I loved the Japanese style bathrobes but forgot to purchase one when we checked out.

The staff were friendly and spoke reasonable English. Far better than my limited Cantonese anyway but my girlfriend is from Hong Kong and was able to translate when required so no problem really. Service was good with no real problems or complaints.

The wave pool was interesting but absolutely freezing. Maybe we'll visit again when the weather is better.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nige S
Dear Nige S,

Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed for 1 night with my girlfriend in this hotel. The deluxe room was quite big with king size bed. The design implements the tradition of Okura hotels. Everything inside was considerate such as the dim light system and each utilities provided. They made you feel comfort and easy to manage.

It has shared some facilities with the neighborhood hotels, including the casino and the artificial wave "beach". The beach is signature of the whole resort complex that worth to spend some time to visit. Okura has it's own Okura health club where is exclusive to the Okura residents and my girlfriend loved it so much.

However, maybe it's still quite new, some of the staffs were shy and not confident enough. Further training is suggested.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank rolandlwh
OkuraMacau, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Okura Macau, responded to this review, February 16, 2016
Dear rolandlwh,

Toronto
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My in-laws very kindly took us to Macau overnight, and we stayed at the Okura. This is not a hotel I would have ever booked for myself -- my wife and I are clearly not their target audience -- so you might want to take my rating above with a grain of salt, especially since I have no idea what our rooms actually cost and whether they would have been good value. Nevertheless, it was a very pleasant place to stay for a night.

The Okura is one of three hotels that are part of the larger "Galaxy Hotel" hotel-casino complex. It's one of several large Las-Vegas style luxury casino hotels on or near the Cotai Strip, a Las-Vegas-style strip of hotels on a stretch of reclaimed land between the Macau islands of Coloane and Taipa. It's the closest thing there is to an East Asian Las Vegas, and is apparently now very popular with vacationing mainland Chinese. I think I was the only non-Asian person I saw in the hotel (my wife's family being Hong Kong Chinese). The other two hotels are the Galaxy and the Banyan Tree. The idea seems to be that the Galaxy is a straightforward casino hotel, whereas the Okura and Banyan tree have Japanese and East Asian spa/resort aesthetics respectively. The all occupy the same complex and I assume they are all run by the same organization under the same general principles.

The Okura is perhaps best described as a Las-Vegas-style Chinese imitation of a Japanese hotel. The decor has a definite Japanese look to it but the proportions seem all wrong -- and therefore very un-Japanese. The hotel itself and rooms are huge -- a sort of giganticism seems to rule over everything. Service is what you would expect from a very large but generally well-managed resort hotel, neither especially good nor especially bad. Level of English spoken by the staff is highly variable, but they try to be helpful.

The best thing about the complex is the large garden and pool complex located on the roof above the casino on the main floor -- best view if you can get it is the interior view from a balcony room over these gardens. The garden is very intelligently laid out and is a welcome respite (for us, anyway) from the intense casino and shopping atmosphere on the main floor. The huge wave pool with its sandy beach must be very popular with families on warm days -- we were there on an unusually cool day, even by Macau winter standards, and the garden area generally was deserted.

There's quite an assortment of restaurants on the main floors of the complex. We didn't try any of the fancy restaurants. The buffet is decent and not that expensive. There is also an Asian-themed food court with options that looked very interesting but very limited English menus (again, I am not their target audience...).

If I were booking a hotel in Macau, I would try to stay closer to old Macau, and I suspect I could probably find something very decent which would also be (much?) cheaper. I suspect one of the Galaxy complex hotels would be the perfect hotel for a family looking for a Macau casino vacation for some people and beach vacation for others.

Room Tip: Balcony room with view of pool and gardens.
Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ihbToronto
Dear ihbToronto,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Checked into the hotel with my family om boxing day. Check in was smooth and good as the front office could speak relatively decent English. Mind you there were any employees from Philipines,so that helped with the communication bit.

The room was small at 46sq metres. I had just come from the Venetian which was. Big 70 sq m, so felt a bit tight. The bathroom was nice. Japanesetoilet was interesting and good. TV at the bath area was most welcomed and soothing. Oveall in terms if awnities, I am happy with them.

My biggest issue with Okura is the service. Firstly, apart from front desk and a few odd ones, most of the people working there do not speak or understand English. This is where your mastery in simple basic sign anguage comes into play! But having said that, 90% of Macau do not speak or understad English.

There was also this one time when I called their service centre to fix my son's PS3 on the TV (which the front desk assured me it can be done), the person just said 'yes, we send someone'. After a good half hour and three further calls later, my wife told me no one came over to fix it and te service center conveniently said 'cannot do'. Believe it r not, my son and wife played around with the channels and managed to get it done! So much for great service!

I had also informed the front desk that I wanted a late check out which the person said ok. When I called the service center to confirm it, suddenly the service guy said no, cannot do! I actually had to go myself to the front desk and spoke to the staff in charge who said it was not a problem toextend. Again, horrible service center.

Thebell boy upon checking out was good. We wanted to take a shuttle to the airport. It was a good 15/20 minute walk to the main shuttle depot which he took us there and sorted our luggage out. Check out was also a breeze.

The wave pool was nice. My children loved it. Casino was like just outside the hotellobby which was nice. Not too crowded.

Overall Galaxy is quite ok. Just be prepared to do a bit of walking as one has to walk round the casino to get one end to the other unless you go through the casino.
Gb
The food at the food court Taste of Asia is ok. Worth trying it out.

Macau has got to sort out its communication problems ie.lack of English and communication/public relations qissues.

1 Thank Enjoystravelling
Dear Enjoystravelling,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 28, 2011

The check in was conducted in the lobby of the hotel and was smooth.

We stayed in a Superior Suite on the 18th floor, room 1858, there are two superior suites on most floors and they are generously situated at the end of the floor, which is an advantage as many of the other guests in the deluxe rooms, in the middle of the building, are not of the most quite kind and they may tend to smoke despite the fact that we were on a non smoking floor. The lifts in the lift lobby continuously make loud ''ding'' sounds which can be quite disturbing if you were to have a room near the lift lobby.

The Superior Suites are a spacious 100 sqm and comprise of a large living area with study/dining table with two chairs; a guest powder room, a large bedroom, bathroom with separate steam shower and overflow jacuzzi tub, fully-functioning Finnish style sauna and double sinks and the suite also features a double accessible walk in closet. However this closet is not very spacious if you are to put suitcase on a luggage stand, this will then make it impossible to access the room from the additional entrance, thus making it possible to only access it from the sliding door to the bedroom.

There was not turn down service and I was displeased to see that no complimentary fruit was provided in the accommodation. The air conditioning system was quite errorous. There is a very limited selection of room service items.The suite bathroom is absolutely beautiful as it boasts a steam shower and sauna as well as a Toto Neorest 600 Japanese toilet valued at US$4200 which is featured in all hotel rooms.

The Okura Executive Club lounge is well furbished but lacks service with the exception of the club manager who previously was employed by the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong. For breakfast there is a fair selection with nothing out of the ordinary, in the evening there are no small tarts of snacks that you can have.

The quality of food at the Terrace restaurant is absolutely exceptional, the soups are delicious and the fish is perfect, the Japanese beef is extraordinary, most dishes are served on a plate in a Japanese lacquer box that is opened in front of you. Dinner for two persons with two courses and half a bottle of wine costs approximately US$110.

The Yamazato restaurant wonderfully designed and serves Japanese Kaiseki cuisine, the food is of the highest quality and is priced accordingly, a Kaiseki dinner for two persons and two portions of sake costs approximately US$390.

The resort gardens that are accessible from the hotels at the Galaxy Macau are very well landscaped, they are always quite empty as many people choose not to stroll through them.

The Okura hotel is part of the Galaxy Macau shopping and gambling complex, it smells of smoke and cannot compete with the Grand Canal Shoppes at the Venetian Macau, the Galaxy complex is not that large and has a simple layout, other customers are mainland Chinese which are mostly not very civilised.

All in all it was a quite enjoyable stay, we paid US$480 per night which is quite affordable, however I would recommend the Four Seasons hotel in Macau, is is more elegant and luxurious than both the Venetian and Okura hotels and supposedly more so than the other hotels at the Galaxy Macau.

Dear 6starluxurytraveler,