“Lacking in the special touch”
Review of Banyan Tree Macau

Banyan Tree Macau
Ranked #4 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We arrived at 11:15 to check in. It was annoying to be greeted in mandarin. Eventhough we are chinese it does not mean that we are from the mainland. The staff seems to be only doing a routine job and were not friendly. We were pointed in a vague direction telling us that coffee and snacks are available. however, there was no sight of that anywhere in the lobby. i guess she meant that we have to pay for it. we went out for lunch and was pleased to be texted when the room was available at 2pm.Upon entering the room the sheer size of it was very exciting. The relaxation pool was steaming and inviting. we jumped into it immediately and spent half an hour in it. however, on closer inspection chips could be seen and the danger of cutting oneself is apparent. fortunately we did not sit at the end of the pool. however, the amenities were rather disappointing I expected better quality products instead of cheap paper wrapped toothbrush, shower cap. Shampoo, gel and body lotion are also sadly lacking In appearance and quantity. There wasn't a coffee machine nor free glass bottle evian in our room. What was really annoying was to return to our room after 3 and a half hours and find our room still not made up. Furthermore after 1 whole hour we still could not get the water hot enough in the relaxation pool for relaxing ! Another annoying thing was the shuttle bus service from the ferry which does drop one off at entrance of the hotel. The other shuttle buses to downtown was even worse. There was no priority line for hotel guest and one would have to join the long queues to downtown and another long queue when you return. This really spoils the otherwise good experience. the galaxy staff at the queues were not very nice or friendly. the bed was not firm enough for a good night's sleep. The wooden was fantastic for a soak but again the bath salts were only sufficient for one use. overall we were a little let down by the lack of these s

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Macau, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear WonHongKong

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I have taken note of all your feedback and do apologize for those aspects that have caused you disappointment. The arrival experience to the hotel is important to us, and the team do try to personalize the welcome greeting on entering the hotel, using both Chinese and English to reflect our location.

We shall certainly be paying more attention to the condition of the marble at the Relaxation Pool, in regards to the temperature of the water, it is set at 27C, which is in-line with other indoor swimming pools. Adding water from the faucet will only affect the temperature by 1-2C. For a high heat relaxing soak, we recommend the wooden bath tub, where the infill temperature is higher.
At Banyan Tree, we do try to avoid over usage on plastics, however, it is unavoidable. We use the biodegradable paper wrapping for the items in the amenity pouch as they are high usage items, hence, less plastic into the environment. Should any amenities run out, the team are always happy to replenish.

The complimentary Shuttle service is operated by Galaxy Macau and available to all guests staying or visiting the complex. It is extremely popular, and demand during peak holiday periods can be high. I have shared your comments concerning your experience with the Galaxy transportation team, so that they may look internally at improvements.

All your comments are well received, I can assure you the team are working diligently to bring the renowned Banyan Tree experience to Macau. I do hope these shortfalls do not mar your overall impression of the hotel, and that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back, in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Joseph

Joseph Beck
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I booked the Banyan Macau almost 2 months in advance, because I wanted to stay at their Cotai Deluxe Room, with the relaxation pool, during the Chinese New Year holidays.
When we arrived at the check in counter, we were greeted by a very friendly lady, who was happy to inform that we had our room upgraded to the Sky Villa. When we reached the room, at the end of the corridor, and opened the door, the one word that came to my mind was..."WOW!!" Super huge room, with dining table, sofas, and a relaxation pool right smack in the middle of the living room. Without a second thought my kids jumped in and had a blast! The room was so comfortable that we didn't want to leave it and tour around Macau. We could've spent the whole afternoon in there. On our last night, we decided to have room service; why waste a great dining table setting and gorgeous view of taipa; the food service was prompt and attentive. The thai food we ordered was authentic and tasty.
Overall, we sadly had to say goodbye. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming for a visit to Macau. Not crowded, no smell of smoke lingering in the air, generally very peaceful environment! Oh yes, I also really admire how and what the Banyan group is doing to build a sustainable environment. Different lighting in the room to save energy, as well as having glass bottled distilled water, instead of complimentary plastic bottled water! Keep up the great work!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The warmth of the indoor relaxation pool, the grandeur of the interior, the King sized soft but firm bed, fresh fruit delivered daily. Large LCD screens in both the living and bedroom. Proximity to the spa. Definitely calls for a return visit!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We are lucky to get upgrade to the suite, which got an additional jacuzzi. It was a big amazing room that kids enjoyed the indoor pool so much. It's a holiday that no need to leave the room at all... we went to Macau, but didn't do any sight seeing as most of the time we have spent in the room to enjoy the pool and the excellent room.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Describe the service you experienced : Everyone is very kind and good there !

Tell us how you liked the room : big and comfortable

Talk about the location & amenities : Although location is a little far from the main town, but
the shuttle bus is very convenient !
Say what you liked best & least : Both services and the room are my favorite~

My girlfriend and I felt very comfortable there,and we'll be there in the next vacation !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Hotel is very big and luxury. Concierge and reception staff are very helpful and friendly. They assisted me to arrange a very nice local portuguese restaurant in town to celebrate my boy friend's birthday which served very good food there. When we back to our room after dinner, we found a surprise birthday cake was set in room!!!! Me and my bf really enjoy our stay in banyan tree macau and for sure will come again on my birthday!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked the grand cotai suite thru Booking.com. Nothing was mentioned and no one at Banyan Tree inform me the charge is not made by them but by Galaxy Entertainment causing me to have confusion on whether my card was fraudulently used. Had to inform my bank to canceled it and give me a new card.

We took the ferry from Hong Kong and berth at Taipa Terminal. Hauling our bags we had to look out for the free Galaxy bus (we noticed staff from Venetian actually look out for their guest and even approached us.) The bus journey took 10 minutes and it dropped us off at the main entrance of Galaxy Resort.
We were lost as to where Banyan Tree is? There is no one from Banyan Tree at the main entrance except staff from Galaxy Hotel. I approached 1 of the Galaxy Hotel staff about Banyan Tree and was told it is located at a side entrance of 1 of the buildings. The Galaxy staff told me I could wait for a bus or walk if I do not mind the distance. I asked the Galaxy staff whether he could help us with our bags. He said it not his job but he is willing to assist us... a nice young guy with good command of English. He handover our bags upon arriving at lobby of Banyan Tree.

Our 1st impression of Banyan Tree was not good as we were kept waiting at front counter to check in when there are clearly some staff at counter not looking busy at all.

Our room 2817 is big and also VERY dirty. I can even scribble a word on the marbled floor using my finger. The carpet in living room should have been thrown away long ago... a stool was used to conveniently covered a dark stain (looked like blood). The indoor pool was mentioned set at 27C but it is very cold (used it 1 time only and for a few minutes). My wife tried turning on the light switch for dresser table and the knob came off! The fridge is not cold. The welcome fruit basket has only 3 fruits of same type.

We could not enjoy the wave pool as it is under renovation except for the indoor pool at top of hotel. The indoor pool and gym is clean and quiet.

As we stayed 3 nights, we were given 1 free spa session at their spa on 2nd floor. The service and standard is what Banyan Tree Spa is renowned for.... excellent.

Our room booking comes with free breakfast. The breakfast spread is adequate but the Saffron where the breakfast is located tends to be very crowded. The quality of food is so-so with many of the dishes either very salty or have no taste at all.

I did not complained about our room until the last night when 1 of the front manager asked me about it. He was shocked at my comment and asked me to change room. What's the point as it's our last night! Later he sends us an apology with a fruit basket (the fruits are too cold to be eaten).

Upon checkout, the front staff is confused on our billings as I have paid for the rooms 2 months ago! I approached the concierge about taking the free shuttle bus to Taipa Terminal. The bell staff told me we had to carry our bags to the back of Galaxy Resort (a long walk). He even told us they couldn’t assist us with our bags. The bell staff even had the thick skinned to inform us to take a taxi! Now why would I want to take a taxi for a 10 minutes journey when there is free shuttle bus? I had a frustrating time communicating in simple English with them that I had to used Mandarin. Yet they replied in terrible English that I had hard time listening or understanding. Later the front manager noted my frustration and offered us a limo ride to the ferry terminal.

We bought our ferry tickets to Hong Kong airport from Galaxy Travel and we were told to collect our tickets upon clearing immigration. After waiting like 10-15 minutes for our turn at immigration, the officer told us we need to get our tickets from the counter before clearing. There are 4 counters and we went round asking until the 4th counter. And there is another Q for us to wait. I saw staff from The Venetian helped their guests to cleared all the formality. And we paid for room that cost more than similar room at The Venetian and we do not have this service at all!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple