“excellent hotel, spacious room and lovely facilities”
Review of Banyan Tree Macau

Banyan Tree Macau
Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Macau
A TripAdvisor Member
“excellent hotel, spacious room and lovely facilities”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Very nice spacious room with in room pool and spa/ bath facilities. we were happy with our stay except the bed & pillow was too soft and not very supportive, wished we have slept on the sofa instead (which was big enough!)
otherwise it's a highly recommend resort hotel in Macau for a little escape.

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My uncle is a friend of the GM, but I didn't bother the GM during our stay. Hoped to be treated as a normal guest, and could write up a non biased review. Here it is:

My husband and I are fans of the Banyan Tree group. Our favorite one is the Phuket one. I even purchase their products online for years now. Massage oils sent to my doorstep every three months. So when the Banyan Tree Macau opened, I was very happy to know soon I will be able to go to a Banyan Tree much more convenient than flying for hours to the nearest one from Hong Kong.

However, I chose to wait until all the possible "kinks" have smoothed out after grand opening. So we took our family to stay for 3 days this october over the kid's term break. Booked FOUR rooms and and spa treatment.

I requested early check in by email as well, like a previous reviewer had mentioned. But unlike him, I never expect it as a guarantee. No hotel should be penalized for NOT giving you an early check in, that would be unreasonable. Unless, you paid for a previous night, you shouldn't expect one. Even though they emailed me that it is subject to availability, it is a standard reply. Whether the hotel is full, they cannot tell really until the night before you arrive as things constantly changing in hotel management. So, I requested early check in, but asking as a simple courtesy.

Upon arrival by the Galaxy free Shuttle Bus at the Taipa Ferry Terminal. 11 of us were dropped off at the Crystal Lobby of Galaxy hotel. We had to walk quite a bit to get to the Banyan Tree Entrance. It is on the OTHER side of the free shuttle bus lobby, and with children, you may not walk through the casino. The luggage were taken from us at the entrance of this lobby, and they brought it for us to Banyan Tree without having us to dragged all the way to the hotel. That was good.

Early check in was given to ONE of our rooms, this was very nice of the hotel. We got to drop off all our bags, and got the baby settled with change of clothes and a bottle of milk. Kids got to use the washroom, and we headed out for lunch while we waited for the rest of the rooms to check in at 3 pm.

We went to lunch at Festiva, a nice buffet restaurant near the Galaxy hotel. Very good variety and good quality of foods. Good price for adults, $ 188 for lunch and half price for children. With such a big group, and mixture of ages, and also no reservations, (many were full) we were glad we went here for lunch.

At 230pm, we headed back to the hotel and hoped we can get our rooms and the kids wanted to go to the wave pool and swim before the sun started setting. So we wanted to change into swim wear and get settled in our rooms.

Unfortunately, my rooms are requested as connecting, because three of my kids and my mother in law were staying in one room, while my husband and I planned for the other. Connecting rooms were assigned to us, and we were told soon, we will have our room. My brother got his room, and my parents got their room at early check in.

So we all hung out in my parents' room, changed into swim wear, but we really wanted to get out rooms so we didn't have to repack our luggage. After three kids, and two adults get into swim wear, and a baby..... the things would be all over my parents' room. So I asked at 3pm, WHEN will our rooms be ready. The front desk kept telling me , they will call my parents' room when the rooms are ready. So we all sat there watching TV.... my parents couldn't go out because we didn't know our room numbers yet, and my parents were going separate ways, so my mom needed her key, and my Dad needed his key. So we had to stay in the room. My parents also needed to know our room numbers before they went out. But the annoying thing was, the front desk told me the rooms area ready, just need inspecting.

Finally, after more than an hour, and at least 5 calls down to the guest services, they say the keys will be brought up to my parents' room so we can go to our rooms.

Finally, we got to our rooms connecting door in the middle, at almost 4pm. The sun was going down, and the by the time we got to the beach, it was quite cold and the kids didn't really have a chance to play. VERY disappointed.

Upon entering our room, there was a smell that was really weird, like bad water smell ? They told us there was something wrong with our room before, that's why it took so long to "fix" and not ready ?! I am wondering what it was... was it the pool in the room that needed "cleaning?" the water was still halfway only when we walked in. The front desk duty manager Sherry Lei apologized to us for the delay and told us the water is emptied after each guest checks out and it's cleaned and refilled. Hence it is a delay for our rooms because it still wasn't filled up.

Other than this, Sherry offered us a few coupons for food and beverage at the Saffron for the delay in getting our rooms. This was a nice gesture, and I told her it's a good thing we are not staying just one night like alot of people do. Thank goodness my kids can go to the pool next day because we are staying 2 nights. But still, this is one area Banyan Tree Macau must work on, nothing annoys a guest more than delay in getting their rooms upon check in. After 3 pm, there is NO excuse. My husband was very upset because they kept telling us because OUR rooms are "connecting" hence, they are NOT ready. My husband says this is ridiculous excuse, connecting or not connecting, housekeeping should clean the rooms anyways.

Anyways, the rest of our stay was nice, buffet breakfast was great, lots of variety, and you can your own selection of eggs from the menu, scramble, omlette, egg white only, sunny side up...etc. Fresh fruit juices, Asian and Western varieties..... pastries, congee, noodle station...etc.

The rooms are huge. So big, with two rooms connecting, I found it TOO big !!! I walked so much from one room to the other to take care of my kids. The design of the room really is suitable for couples only. The toilet and washroom design is very inconvenient if you are staying with others ... other than your partner. Each time you use the washroom for shower, bath or toilet... you have to close the TWO huge doors and the two huge curtains first. Then you have to walk over to the other side to close the closet door, otherwise, people can see you peeing, and showering.

The beds are comfortable, and pillows need to be better. Not comfortable pillows as I expected it should. The air conditioning in our room was very noisy, I had to shut it off in order to sleep. Luckily the other air con in the living room can be on and we didn't feel hot.

The shower was nice, but the turning handle of the temperature control were loose, it wouldn't hold in the spot I wanted, so I had to use the OTHER shower in the stall. There are TWO. So it's ok. But still, needs to be fixed.

Amenities, not as good quality as I expected. The first day, the toothbrushes kit and comb .... amenitied in a cloth bag, I didn't realize had so many missing items, until the NEXT day. So the Housekeeping forgot to replenish our toiletries bag on the first day.

Cleanliness- I was quite happy overall. Dust free in most areas. The rooms are huge, I feel sorry for the housekeeping if they are at Peak season. So many cushions, the pool is already a crazy idea... and hard to clean. Aromatherapy oil, and incense, and fruits changed daily. Free bottles of water provided to guests.

The Spa was fabulous, had good massage with husband on second night. Very busy spa, must book in advance. I bought some massage oils and shower cream from their gallery.

I would stay again at this hotel, lots to do, not crowded, and not bombarded by mainland china tour groups, relaxing stay.

But wish it will reach the standards of what a true Banyan Tree hotel should be..... getting there, but a little disappointed in certain areas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Katetam
Indonesia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed in pool villa to celebrate our vow exchange. The villa was beautiful, enhanced with a very high technolgy appliances and completed with an imporessive personal touch from the service team. Our stay was really memorable. We couldn't thank the service team enough for bringing the hospitality standard to the next level.
*special thank you to Mr.Sandro and Ms.Julia for all your help and hospitality.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

First of all,
I would like to say when I reached at the lobby the greet and the hospitality of the bellman was so excellent. Smiles and greet were every where to welcome me and assistance was automatically offered.

Second,
The privacy was so good, room was nice with the relaxation pool and cleanliness was no doubt. I enjoyed very much our stay and hoping to come back end of this November 2012

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I always find it useful to read other peoples reviews and impressions before I launch into mine, I find this sometimes tempers my views or perhaps gives me an insight I hadn't spotted. It is interesting that Michael H used a phrase I had planned to use so I must defer to Michael he is absolutely right that the software simply does not match the hardware.
Our check in procedure was not quite as bad as his but we also had experience of the detached supervisor until I insisted that he in this case got involved, we finally got one room but our friends did not get their rooms until late afternoon.
For those of us who live in Asia Banyan Tree is an iconic brand that conjures up visions of dreamy Thai temples, soft silk furnishings, amazing wooden structures and lots and lots of water.
The Macau property scores on most of these points even though the room is a long way from the ground.
The rooms are exceptional and very Banyan Tree, the bed was without question the most comfortable I have ever slept in, the spa area usually referred to as the bathroom would put some clubs to shame. The area consists of a Japanese wooden tub for two a double shower cubicle with four shower heads and a rather sinister toilet which always seemed to be doing things just as you approach or depart.
There is also a small pool in the room for which I cannot see any sensible reason especially as it is not possible to heat the water, the cleaning aspect is also a concern.
Plenty of places to lounge around but nowhere to sit in an upright position to watch TV, great for entertaining though and I am sure to the liking of most guests.
In the morning we dressed for the beach and went to what we thought was the hotel pool hoping to do some serious lounging over breakfast. What a disappointment! The area was filled with families and Christmas music was blaring from speakers placed at ten feet intervals. No food or drink was available until 11.00am so I returned to the hotel where I was refused entrance to the breakfast room because I was wearing a beach robe.
I do not object to the fact that I was refused entrance what I did object to was that nobody cared that this old man needed breakfast and I was just left to fend for myself. I finally got breakfast on the terrace of the adjacent Okura hotel.
The hotel was kind enough to extend our check out time for one room only until 3.00pm which was very helpful, on check out we asked if we might inspect one of the hotel villas, this was arranged and we were very impressed with the size and the quality but the price was quite breathtaking.
On our way back from the villa our guide asked if we had enjoyed the pool pointing in a very different direction from where we had been in the morning, we asked to be taken there and found this idyllic haven of tranquility with palm trees huge loungers and wicker sunshades we could also have rented a cabana for the day, interestingly none of this had been explained to us on check in more interesting was there was not a single person there not surprising really.
Later we bumped into the hotel manager Mr Joseph Beck who listened to our comments and admitted that there was still a way to go in the training and development of the staff.
It is clear that with all the high end hotels opening in Macau the competition for qualified staff is intense and this will be reflected in the level of service to the customer so it is worth remembering that all that glisters is not gold.

I will stay at this hotel again because overall it was a good experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is my first time staying in Banyan Tree's hotel and I have had great experience. The service is excellent and the room is big and furnishing in Thai style which creates a relaxing environment. I have tried the spa which is excellent, except it's a bit expensive. One thing needs to be improved is the in-room pool. It would be great if we can adjust the temperature of the water ourselves as its too cold to stay there.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I like to travel to Macau for the food and the games for around 3-4 time a year. We usually stay in hotels on the peninsular but made an exception this time and booked the Banyan Tree for one night (27 Sept 12). We did this because we have not been to the Cotai area for more than a couple of years (previous stay with Venetian sucked), and we heard the new Galaxy resort is very nice. And of cause, the Banyan Tree name also helped. We stayed in other Banyan Tree resorts in SE Asia and thought the standards are the same … wrong!

Since I know that I will be arriving at the hotel early that day (around 12:30pm), I wrote to the hotel 2 days in advance to ask for a special arrangement to allow me to check-in early. I though this would help them to sort-out their room arrangement. Other hotels in Macau and SE Asia told me that they welcome the heads-up, so I saw not reason for an exception here. I then received a reply email from a Ms Kyseniya Wong the day before saying that early check-in and late check-out are subject to the availability, and they will try their best to accommodate the best for me.

Well, tell me something I don’t know! This is the reason why I wrote 2 days in advance to let them know that I would like to check-in early. I did this because I wanted to avoid the awkwardness of having to stand and wait for a room in the hotel lobby, and it was unfortunate that the new addition of a famous hotel chain such as the Banyan Tree could not understand (or may be don’t want to understand) why this client took the time to write in advance (as if I don’t have better things to do). Remember, I did not just walk-in and demand for early check-in. I tried to give them time to organize themselves.

We arrived at the hotel at 12:30pm as expected. Make no mistake about it, the property itself is well designed and beautifully decorated (hence the extra, extra disappointment with the staff). We proceeded to check-in at the counter, and the girl there actually could see my requests on her computer (so hats-off to Ms Wong who replied my email and made an effort on my requests). However, room was still not available. Then I asked the girl a few simple questions related to the rooms’ availability, and for each question she had to walk over to her supervisor (a Ms Emily I think) for an answer, and the answers were more or less repeating along the lines of too early, no rooms, it is our policy to check-in at 3pm, etc... The funny thing was, this Ms Emily could not have been more than 30 feet away from where we were standing, and she did not make to an effort to come over to greet us despite my wife asked the girl to invite Ms Emily to do so after the third question. And I don’t think we looked like we would bite on that day either...

Also, I think I was asking very reasonable questions (and with manners as well) – “If the rooms are not available, why not write back to me yesterday evening telling me that you are fully booked and can’t offer me a room early. Then I won’t have to come early and be stranded in the hotel lobby.”, and “With close to 300 rooms in your hotel, and on a weekday morning, it is pretty hard to believe you don’t have one single room for me especially I have written to you in advance and you have my request. Are you really that full?” Eventually, not only that we were presented with a $100 discount coupon when we make $600 purchases at the spa (which we did not use because we were NOT looking for coupons), a room was available after 15 minutes of struggling. Then the girl showed us to our room. So here are my points to this prestige establishment that needs to refine the management:

1. If you could think from my prospective (why did the client take the trouble to write in advance), then you would know that I just want things to be efficient. If you can't offer what I asked for, please let me know as early as possible (a couple of sentences included in Ms Wong’s reply email would have done the work).

2. If you tell me you don’t have a room, please stick with it. You looked really stupid and deceiving to give me a room (and a $100 coupon) after I tried to seek the truth for only 15 minutes. The incident taught me that if I come to your counter and make a scene (which I did not but some others could), I would have gotten what I want anyway (or even more).

3. Accommodation competition in Macau (especially in Cotai) is furious, and you practically need to get a good review from every single customer to keep your business going. A lobby manager like Ms Emily is not going to do your business any good. Your business is about people, and your customers are people.

4. You really need to train your staff (including your managers) on how to handle tough customers. I was not being tough already – can you imagine what your staff could or would have done when someone make a scene at your lobby?

Conclusion – If looking nice is important to you, the current Banyan Tree Macau is new and nice, with generous room space. But if sensible servicing is also important to you (or more important to me), Banyan Tree Macau has a long, long way to go.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael H
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Banyan Tree Macau, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Michael H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

First and foremost, my sincere apologies for this below par performance, this is certainly not to the standards we expect from our associates at Banyan Tree Macau. You have my assurance that immediate remedial training will be implemented in order to refresh the teams on the service delivery we set out to deliver.

I have written to you personally, I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and show you a true Banyan Tree experience.

Yours sincerely