“Nice rooms, bar and pool”

Mandarin Oriental Macau
Ranked #2 of 95 Hotels in Macau
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice rooms, bar and pool”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

A few things annoyed me about this hotel which will mean that I probably won't return. Booked this as part of a package so paid way less for the room and breakfast than the exorbitant rates they quote on their website. So value for money was good from that respect. Check in was good. Rooom was lovely - corner view with view of the Macau tower and all the way round to the Lisboa. We went straight to the bar for a drink and the service there was excellent and the bar is very comfortable. Could have stayed there for the rest of the evening. My husband went for a massage and I tagged along with him as I wanted to use the sauna and steam room in the girls changing rooms as it was raining outside and I didnt fancy the pool much. The spa receptionist basically made a big fuss saying that I could only use the changing room facilities if I had a treatment booked. What a load of rubbish. This has never ever happened to me any where else. She was starting to relent as I was walking towards the lifts but I just told her to forget it. Why take that attitude with me and then say the opposite. The whole hotel was empty and I guarantee I would have been the only peron in the changing room so what difference would it have made to them. I went to the pool instead and sat in the hot whirlpool in the rain which was just fine as I had the whole area to myself and the view is nice. After my husband had finished his massage he fancied a dip in the pool too so dragged me back down with him. It was 5 past 7 and we were told by staff that the pool was shut. Why???? So that was the second annoyance. After that we went out to Antonios restaurant in Taipa old village. Thoroughly recommended. I am taking a friend back there next weekend as it was soooo good. They opened our champagne with a sword!!
Sleep quality in the room was excellent. Pillows so comfortable and the linen is top quality. I would like my room to have been turned down but it wasnt which I found disappointing. Because we had been swimming the day before, we obviously needed showers before going out to dinner and there were only 3 bath towels in the room. That meant one of us had to use a damp bath towel the next morning. In a hotel of this class I would expect evening turn down.
Breakfast was good in the morning. This is when we realised the hotel was empty. We had a long leisurely breakfast right up until it shut at 10.30 (why so early on a Sunday?!?) and we were virtually the only table. Due to this reason we did get very very good service. The breakfast room is really luxurious and comfortable.
Check out was a breeze and a free transfer took us immediately to the ferry terminal which was great. I live in HK and am a frequent visitor to Macau. I LOVE the mandarin brand which is why I wanted to stay here so badly but I cannot say I was overly impressed. Of the 2 Mandarins in Macau (the other being the Grand Lapa) I think I prefer the older one to be honest. Its a better location for the ferry terminal and is right beside the Sands which is my favourite casino. The pool area is far better and they let you use the facilities in the changing rooms EVEN if you do not have a treatment booked. Sure, the rooms there are a bit dated but the bed is comfortable and you are only sleeping there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Muiriel77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Kudos to the staff of Mandarin Oriental. You have made our stay a most enjoyable one. We were travelling with 2 young children (under 5 years) and the staff treated us with utmost patience. Even my young ones felt so pampered. The deluxe room we had was great! Very spacious, very nice bathroom & tub - even had an expresso machine in our room!! I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Macau. You will not regret it!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lim_sookhim
Mumbai, India
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Just two months old and they act so professional that they have been in service for over 5 years. I have never experienced such 7-star service in such a long time.

The rooms are just fabulous. They have all that you can desire of. The flat panel TV's to Ipod stations to Bay view room and bay view bathroom to a fantastic swimming pool and fitness centre to an amazing spa! The coffee maker is just awesome and since we were with an infant, we were given additional attention with infant food and snacks at regular hours and also a fantastic baby crib and baby tub for bath. My daughter just had a fantastic time out there.

The location is right next to MGM and you can access their casino as MO doesnt have a casino. they are also next to a high end shopping mall and easily walkable distance to Wynn, MGM and L'Arc hotels. They also have personalized nice shuttles to and from the ferry terminals.

But, above all they stand out for their impeccable service. We were constantly asked about any inconveniences and if we needed anything to making our stay more pleasurable from the front desk to housekeeping..everyone is just too polite and friendly.

I am in love with their bathrooms and spent most of my time there :)

Anyways, I would highly recommend this hotel is you are looking for some nice romantic, quite leisure time without any casino crowds and disturbances.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank IndiaTravelfreak
Taipei
Reviewed September 29, 2010

My partner and I stayed in this wonderful hotel from 22 September-24 September 2010.
This was our 9th visit to Macau and have stayed in many hotels in Macau before.
The MO is now top on our list.It was phenomenal.From the moment you check in until the moment you leave and believe me,we didn't want to leave!
The location was great.Right next to a new shopping mall with all the famous brands.The mall was quiet,so we enjoyed shopping there.No queues like in Hong Kong.The hotel is also connected to the MGM Grand and the Wynn/Encore.Very convenient location!

We stayed in a Deluxe Bay View room.It was excellent.The room was quite spacious.The bathroom was a gem even the bathtub had an excellent view of the ocean.Pure bliss!
We loved the coffee machine.An extra bonus to an excellent room.
The entertainment system is wonderful.It was nice listening to some classical music while taking a bath or a shower.We also loved the bathroom amenities.

What we didn't like though was the bed and the pillows maybe because it was quite new.We chose the MO because of their good quality beds,but unfortunately the bed wasn't comfortable enough. Sorry MO Macau,but the beds didn't quite live up to our expectations!

A very very big plus point was the staff! Excellent! 6 star service! We were checked in by a wonderful lady called Isabella.She was excellent! Really made us feel really at home! The turn-down service was excellent! Applause to MO for that extra special touch! The concierge was excellent and very helpful.I really have to thank the staff of this wonderful hotel for a wonderful stay.

All in all a great hotel.I will recommend this hotel for it's wonderful room and excellent service!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnofTaipei
toronto
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Wonderful hotel, one of the best decorations around, rooms are as new as it could get, although there are a few malfunction here and there but not a big deal because the hotel is brand new, some a little operational issues (blinds, fire alarm etc.)

the only thing i dont recommend in this hotel is their breakfast buffet, simply the biggest fail in the history of breakfast buffet., (food selection wise) service was excellent, but the food selections and choices are terrible. other than a few simple chinese dishes, the rest you can find at a holiday inn express.

great hotel, but if you can afford this place, might as well take the next step to four seasons where you wont regret the spendings.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I have stayed at Altria,Venetian,Hard Rock,Wynn,MGM Grand and Four Seasons in recent years and last week I deliberatly stopped at the new Mandarin Oriental.Its significantly the best so far.The fact that it offers no gambling is a huge plus for me and if you have to gamble MGM Grand is attached.Its F+B offering is excellant,the rooms are fantastic and the staff are faultless.I love good new hotels and this is one I wont forget.The pool area is featureless,poorly created and disapointing.The Spa is over promoted.The hotel's location is very good - right in the thick of everything in Macau central.I enjoyed the restaurant + bar offering so much it was difficult to go elsewhere to places I know well and love. Macau is still developing and finding its identity post its decision to become China and the worlds biggest gambling destination.For quality minded travellers you wont beat the MO - except perhaps Altria on Cotai but this is a gambling property.I would return to the MO tomorrow - its a faultless five star property and a great addition to the Macau offering.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Christopher R
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Spent two nights in Macau and took advantage of their opening rates. I can't think of a better location unless you just want to stay directly in the casinos -- and in any case, MGM and Wynn are walking distance. I was upgraded to a midlevel room with a panoramic view over the waterfront.

Rooms have excellent beds and bathrooms. The choice of a 42" TV with such a big room isn't ideal, but you're likely to be out anyway, and they do have a dizzying array of entertainment on it. (Need a Catalan channel? Here's your place.) Good coffee pod machines, and the housekeeping was done well.

If pool facilities are your absolute top priority you may need to shop elsewhere; there is an adequate pool in a neat rooftop location, but that isn't the main draw for this hotel.

I went to the restaurant twice. So far, they seem not to be very busy. The breakfast buffet is done really well, similar to Landmark HK's [although they should put the dim sum baskets out where you can grab all you want like Landmark does :]

Being impressed with the wide menu range, I tried the dinner and found it was done beautifully. I stuck to the Western side. Service was attentive but leisurely. If you expect a quick meal, best to inform them up front. I had the lamb done 2 ways and lobster bisque. There was also a stunning amuse based on foie gras that is worth mentioning.

Also, to relieve one piece of anxiety, I had no trouble with cab drivers knowing where the place was. There is an older property managed by MO but it has changed name.

All the lobby staff are up to the superb Mandarin standard of service and speak solid English. Checkout was done extremely efficiently at a very early hour and I was instantly shown a cab with no problems. I'd definitely come back in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo