“Great Service and Spacious Room”

Mandarin Oriental Macau
Ranked #2 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Non-casino hotel but just beside MGM and Macau being small, very easy to get around by foot or taxi.

The rooms are really spacious with large bathroom and views overlooking city, bay or lake. Stayed in the Deluxe Bay View Room, travelling with family. We got two rooms interconnecting and the overall feel of the rooms are very homely, cosy and welcoming.

Service was great, particularly from the porters and doormen. Room did not include breakfast but did tried for one morning and loving it. Good spread and still reasonable pricing for a 5 stars luxury hotel, like the noodle soup station very much. Most importantly, the restaurant service was top-notch, very friendly, warm and genuine to every guest. Highly recommended.

Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JevJev

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights - I in a corner room and my friend in a Deluxe room - the view from our respective rooms were good, even though my room was on a lower floor. There was no lack of privacy. Room facilities were very good, with an extensive mini-bar and a good quality coffee machine.

Staff service was very good in general. The Concierge was helpful, approaching us when we appear in the lobby to offer their services whenever low guests volume in the foyer allows it - it is an impressive style not seen in too many places.

The Spa is "standard Mandarin Oriental", which means good service is guaranteed and guest comfort is of paramount importance to the staff. They are quick thinkers - the Receptionist, who did not speak very good English, immediately asked for help from a colleague. We hardly had to wait. The herbal tea they served was the best of the 3 Mandarin Hotels in Hong Kong and Macau.

Breakfast was surprisingly good. We had expected crowds and a lot of noise - which did not happen. I think we chose the right hotel in Macau - one without a casino. However, there is a casino in the same complex, barely 3 minutes walk away, so this is convenient for guests who wish to stay in a quieter environment but who may wish to use gaming facilities.

As an upmarket shopping complex is accessible from within the hotel, entertainment is handy and the quality of the shops is excellent. I shall certainly return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms - these rooms are big; with the bathtub right next to the window for good views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Being the only non-casino hotel in Macau, this hotel has its own appeal. This hotel is quite new, so everything has that fresh feel to it. The decor, the rooms ,the views.....all pleasant to the senses. While the breakfast spread is not top notch, it is definitely sumptuous. Otherwise, would like to point out that the service levels are immense. As soon as you check in , you are made to feel at home. With the lobby staff always making it a point to offer assistance or information, you feel at ease.Overall an experience to make you feel special. Would I recommend it .....YES , absolutely!
From the tourism point of view... Old Macau is a 10-15 minute stroll away with some really interesting sights.( Senado Square, etc). The ferry pier is not too far away.

1  Thank LITTLEINTERNATIONAL
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The hotel is just great as it is, the rooms are spacious and well maintained and the bed exceptionally comfortable. The bar and restaurant have an interesting interior design and the breakfast is a great mix of continental and local food.
What really makes difference at this hotel is the staff. They provide outstanding customer service which really made our stay wonderful. I would particularly like to mention Mr. Severin & Ms. Sneha who were extremely helpful and over exceeded all our expectations with their client oriented attitude.
I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Wonderful experience – first class staff, location and rooms

Had a wonderful anniversary at Mandarin Oriental Macau. Location was perfect for its purpose (far away enough from the rest of the clutters of casinos, close to MGM with an upper scale casino and also quiet enough to have some peaceful romantic strolls on their walk pathways). Linked to a shopping mall which was good to do shopping at.

Stunning rooms with modern facilities, although it is not a brand new hotel it has been very well maintained. I had the Panaroma Suite which had a fantastic sea view and the bridge, day view and night view were simply spectacular. Noise proof was VERY good and also the bed, had some really good sleep.

Pool and gym were first class – pool is temperature control (with a nice view!) so open 365 days a year. Gym was decent and not often occupied so the few times I visited I had it all to myself!

Service/staff was one of the biggest highlights for this property, each staff was friendly and attentive and provided me with ‘intelligent’ services, bearing in mind what I needed without being over the top. I had a transfer from the pier and the limo staff advised me wifi was available in car as well so during the trip I could check my emails and surf all I wanted. And one evening I was organizing a taxi with concierge to a restaurant, they organized it quickly and asked me

All in all an excellent choice of accommodation for visiting Macau on the main island (not Cotai).

Room Tip: Panaroma Suite for anniversaries / romantic stays
1  Thank kizzcat
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I review hotels based on the way they make me feel during and after my stay. I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in July and lately I have been receiving a number of emails from Mandarin with hotel offers and each time I see an email from them I get a bad feeling inside and think to myself that I really would not like to stay at a Mandarin Oriental again.

I spent 3 nights in a Deluxe Lake view room, twin sharing with my mother. I stayed at this hotel a year ago and I remembered how nice the room is and the beautiful view which has not changed and is still very beautiful.

We spent 17 hours travelling to Macau from the Seychelles, arrived very tired and on arrival escorted to our room for check in, well greeted and also remembered by the chief concierge who is a really nice guy. After signing the forms and listening to the hotel information from the guy checking us in I handed over cash to cover the stay and incidentals and was told that a receipt would be delivered to our room right away, all good except when after 20 minutes no receipt I got worried that the guy has taken off with our cash, I called reception and the guy answered telling me he will be up to the room soon, 10 minutes later he arrived and said he got caught up with another guest which is fare enough but he should have completed the job he started with us rather than taking on another job.

Breakfast in the main restaurant is good but the service in the restaurant is exceptional, real dedication and hard work goes into serving with such professionalism.

The health club and pool is very nice, on arrival the pool attendant makes up a sun lounge with towels, cold bottled water and a menu for refreshments, the spa and sauna is brilliant too.

On two occasions we asked concierge for help with various things, the first was information on touring Macau and we received a map and was told no sightseeing tours exist in Macau and you can make you way around with the map. The second was one night when I asked for a popular disco, mum now in bed I thought I would experience the Macau nightlife other than casino's, again I was told Macau has no discos. I then proceeded to investigate online and had to ask the concierge to open the business center so I could use the internet which they did. After 10 minutes I found 2 discos and asked the concierge to help me with a taxi which again they did, the taxi arrived and I pulled out HK$20 and handed it to the guy helping me. At first he did not want it, he then did accept the tip and starting waiving it in the air trying to pass it onto the second concierge guy who was opening the door for me, that guy was doing his best to refuse the tip and by this stage I started to feel very embarrassed so I turn to both guys and said if you don't want my money I will gladly take it back.

I choose deluxe five star hotels so I get treated nicely and for the security, I'm not rich and I am a simple working class man, I always dress well, take care of my appearance and have been complimented for being polite and well mannered which is why I don't understand why some staff members at Mandarin Oriental choose to make fun of their guest.

Mandarin Oriental is not for me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CaptainCarlPerth
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night. This is one of the few luxury hotels without a casino in Macau. This was the reason I chose this hotel for its quietness. It was the best hotel experience I ever had.

All staff was sincere. The room was clean and well equipped for a comfortable and luxurious stay. The water view from my room was unbeatable. The spa and pool facilities were well maintained and well equipped. The spa service and massage was top notch. The service at the bar was also excellent. It’ll be better if there was live music. A very comfortable 7-seater was provided for the transfer service to/from ferry terminal.

Just a few minor flaws, such as one of the drawer in my room was dusty but that drawer really wasn’t designed for customer to put anything in it. The shampoo pump in the shower room at the pool fell off easily. Again, these were minor flaws that did not affect the quality of my stay. Just because it’s Mandarin Oriental, hence, my expectation on every detail was even higher.