“Wonderful experience - first class staff, location and rooms”

Mandarin Oriental Macau
Ranked #2 of 95 Hotels in Macau
Hong Kong
“Wonderful experience – first class staff, location and rooms”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Wonderful experience – first class staff, location and rooms

Had a wonderful anniversary at Mandarin Oriental Macau. Location was perfect for its purpose (far away enough from the rest of the clutters of casinos, close to MGM with an upper scale casino and also quiet enough to have some peaceful romantic strolls on their walk pathways). Linked to a shopping mall which was good to do shopping at.

Stunning rooms with modern facilities, although it is not a brand new hotel it has been very well maintained. I had the Panaroma Suite which had a fantastic sea view and the bridge, day view and night view were simply spectacular. Noise proof was VERY good and also the bed, had some really good sleep.

Pool and gym were first class – pool is temperature control (with a nice view!) so open 365 days a year. Gym was decent and not often occupied so the few times I visited I had it all to myself!

Service/staff was one of the biggest highlights for this property, each staff was friendly and attentive and provided me with ‘intelligent’ services, bearing in mind what I needed without being over the top. I had a transfer from the pier and the limo staff advised me wifi was available in car as well so during the trip I could check my emails and surf all I wanted. And one evening I was organizing a taxi with concierge to a restaurant, they organized it quickly and asked me

All in all an excellent choice of accommodation for visiting Macau on the main island (not Cotai).

Room Tip: Panaroma Suite for anniversaries / romantic stays
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kizzcat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I review hotels based on the way they make me feel during and after my stay. I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in July and lately I have been receiving a number of emails from Mandarin with hotel offers and each time I see an email from them I get a bad feeling inside and think to myself that I really would not like to stay at a Mandarin Oriental again.

I spent 3 nights in a Deluxe Lake view room, twin sharing with my mother. I stayed at this hotel a year ago and I remembered how nice the room is and the beautiful view which has not changed and is still very beautiful.

We spent 17 hours travelling to Macau from the Seychelles, arrived very tired and on arrival escorted to our room for check in, well greeted and also remembered by the chief concierge who is a really nice guy. After signing the forms and listening to the hotel information from the guy checking us in I handed over cash to cover the stay and incidentals and was told that a receipt would be delivered to our room right away, all good except when after 20 minutes no receipt I got worried that the guy has taken off with our cash, I called reception and the guy answered telling me he will be up to the room soon, 10 minutes later he arrived and said he got caught up with another guest which is fare enough but he should have completed the job he started with us rather than taking on another job.

Breakfast in the main restaurant is good but the service in the restaurant is exceptional, real dedication and hard work goes into serving with such professionalism.

The health club and pool is very nice, on arrival the pool attendant makes up a sun lounge with towels, cold bottled water and a menu for refreshments, the spa and sauna is brilliant too.

On two occasions we asked concierge for help with various things, the first was information on touring Macau and we received a map and was told no sightseeing tours exist in Macau and you can make you way around with the map. The second was one night when I asked for a popular disco, mum now in bed I thought I would experience the Macau nightlife other than casino's, again I was told Macau has no discos. I then proceeded to investigate online and had to ask the concierge to open the business center so I could use the internet which they did. After 10 minutes I found 2 discos and asked the concierge to help me with a taxi which again they did, the taxi arrived and I pulled out HK$20 and handed it to the guy helping me. At first he did not want it, he then did accept the tip and starting waiving it in the air trying to pass it onto the second concierge guy who was opening the door for me, that guy was doing his best to refuse the tip and by this stage I started to feel very embarrassed so I turn to both guys and said if you don't want my money I will gladly take it back.

I choose deluxe five star hotels so I get treated nicely and for the security, I'm not rich and I am a simple working class man, I always dress well, take care of my appearance and have been complimented for being polite and well mannered which is why I don't understand why some staff members at Mandarin Oriental choose to make fun of their guest.

Mandarin Oriental is not for me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CaptainCarlPerth
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night. This is one of the few luxury hotels without a casino in Macau. This was the reason I chose this hotel for its quietness. It was the best hotel experience I ever had.

All staff was sincere. The room was clean and well equipped for a comfortable and luxurious stay. The water view from my room was unbeatable. The spa and pool facilities were well maintained and well equipped. The spa service and massage was top notch. The service at the bar was also excellent. It’ll be better if there was live music. A very comfortable 7-seater was provided for the transfer service to/from ferry terminal.

Just a few minor flaws, such as one of the drawer in my room was dusty but that drawer really wasn’t designed for customer to put anything in it. The shampoo pump in the shower room at the pool fell off easily. Again, these were minor flaws that did not affect the quality of my stay. Just because it’s Mandarin Oriental, hence, my expectation on every detail was even higher.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed this hotel for several times and always feel good. The concierge and bellman are always attentive. The housekeeping staff always wear a big smile. All the rooms with a water view is a plus.The audio system and the Nespresso machine are wonderful.
Love the complimentary ferry transfer pick up services from Macau Ferry Terminal, it is a 7 seater and a staff will wait at the exit of the immigration to pick us up.
No casino inside the hotel but the MGM and the branded shopping are attached to the hotel.
Breakfast from In Room Dining menu is always yummy.
Eat at Vida Rica restaurant in the hotel, they served very nice dim sum during lunch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rye, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

We had a very enjoyable stay despite the mix up with the dates. Room was very spacious with a large bath and shower. With a spectacular view of the lake. Hotel staff friendly and concierge very helpful. Good central location. Would recommend.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank G B
Brisbane
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Perfect hotel in an excellent location - one issue with a lost reservation but they certainly made up for it. - Everything at your fingertips, water views, easy walking distance to World Heritage listed sites, helpful staff, great rooms and facilities.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous hotel,staff very helpful and friendly they could not do enough for us. Upgraded without even asking at check in.would not hesitate recommending this superior establishment. The only downside is no free wi fi something maybe the management could look into.?

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple