“Doesn't need a casino”

Ranked #3 of 95 Hotels in Macau
San Francisco, California, USA
“Doesn't need a casino”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed here for a night during off-peak season.

Beautiful hotel, tastefully decorated. Appreciated the high ceilings, wood paneling, and contemporary artwork in the lobby after staying at one too many hotels that look like a sleezy nightclub (weird lights, high-backed white leather armchairs, you know what I'm talking about).

Spacious room, great view of the city. Service is, as expected, top-notch all-around.

Had dinner/breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Felt like they were trying really hard to be fancy (e.g. three kinds of butter, melted cheese served in a weird kiln-baked rock salt bowl, and so on), but none of the dishes really tasted incredibly amazing. Breakfast was awesome. Solid restaurant, but probably wouldn't eat dinner there unless you have a property credit.

First time seeing the Mandarin Oriental welcome video. Pretty hilarious.

I was glad there was no casino inside. Smoke-filled rooms with obnoxious lights and sounds wouldn't mix well with the hotel's sophisticated vibe.

Stay here if you're not a big gambler and want a relaxing stay at a classy establishment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ykim917

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed 3 nights and had a perfect stay. We had flown to Hong Kong and then got the ferry over - ferry was running quite late so it was after 9 when we arrived, but our car was waiting. Within a short while we had been checked in in the room and were heading for bed - absolutely seamless.

staff were friendly and eager to help and obviously proud of the fact that they didn't have a casino.

We had a panorama suite and worth it for the view. Had a champagne breakfast in the room and ate at Vida Rica - superb food and service.

we wanted to explore the old city and the hotel is well positioned - we even walked to the Giulia lighthouse and fortress.

On the last night we walked through to MGM - wanted to go to Rossio, but no tables so took their advice and tried another MGM restaurant - Imperial Court. The area around the fish tank is just beautiful. Didn't think the food at Imperial Court as good as Vida Rica but still a nice meal. Service was incredible - they made you feel you had been there a 100 times and was a valued customer.

Tried the egg tarts as well - went to Catherine's and hers were a little nicer, but they are all great.

So all in all a great stay - we weren't planning to return to Macau, but now I want to, just to stay at the Mandarin again.

Room Tip: As high as possible for the view - if you an afford it Panaroma suite was amazing.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I have been staying here for a few years (once-or-twice a year), and we have made it a habit to lunch at hotel’s restaurant Vida Rica before leaving Macau. Unfortunately, a problem this time.

After we checked-out, we sat-down, ordered, and the food came. Then, one of the supervisory staff walked over and tried to take a dish off my table. When we stopped her and asked why, she explained that she wanted to show my dish to another guest because he’s English wasn’t that well, and it might be easier to show him my dish. We obviously stopped her right there, and she got a pretty good service lesson from us too. But here’s what I don’t understand.

1. This request is simply unacceptable, and no one (especially a supervisor) should entertain this. I question what she was thinking.

2. If she was to go ahead and do this, I wonder what her staff would think and do going-forward. As a supervisor, she needs to understand her role and set good examples. I question MO’s servicing and training standards.

I thought I could only run into this kind of standards in a third-world country or a no-star hotel. Until today, I am still in-shock on this case. Otherwise, no problem.

1 Thank Michael H
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Staff are excellent, rooms have a great and well thought out layout and most importantly for me - quiet. Casinos everywhere and some nice ones connected to the hotel and easy walking distance.

Spa was very nice and professional. We chose the couples massage with steam room (over the spa bath), but they are located in the same section and either would have been nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for just one night between a visit to Hong Kong and Seoul. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Mandarin Oriental, and would recommend it to other Trip Advisor readers as a genuine 5 star hotel. I seldom rate a hotel 5 out of 5, but have no hesitation in putting the Mandarin Oriental into this category.

It is always the quality of service which defines how good a hotel really is and the service we received at the Mandarin Oriental was amongst the best – comparable to the Shangri La in Tokyo and the Peninsula in Bangkok – just enough without being intrusive, and always there when you need it; friendly without being familiar and very attentive to detail.

We opted for a Premier view room, which was large, very comfortable and had a wonderful view across the bay to the bridge and the new developments across the water. Furnishing, and attention to detail in the room were luxurious and pampering. The bed gave a great night’s sleep. The bathroom was large, had a walk in rain shower and a bath tub next to the full length windows, which allowed you to wallow and soak up the view.

We used the pool, bar and room service – all were top quality. The pool was great for swimming lengths and the cabanas were good for relaxing afterwards. Cocktails in the bar were generous and well made. The buffet breakfast was wide ranging and very tasty. The chef was very happy to make an omelette to order.

The only problem we experienced was a musty smell in our room. We were assured it was linked to the damp weather outside and the staff did try to mask it with a diffuser – but it lingered through our stay.

I thoroughly recommend the Mandarin Oriental. We would certainly stay there again on our next visit. We paid just over US $500 for the night, which is expensive by Macau standards, but we felt was value for money for the view, the overall experience and quality of service in comparison to other 5 star Asian hotels.

Room Tip: Go for the Premier view rooms at the front of the building, they really are worth the extra.
1 Thank Peter_R_Smith
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We decided to stay at the Mandarin Oriental during our two night Macao stopover. After a short drive from Macau ferry terminal we arrived at the hotel where we were greeted at the entrance and escorted to our room where we had the check in. Our room was modern, spacious and had an nice view over the Macao Bay. The bathroom was also spacious and had the same great view of the bay. Especially the bathtub in front of the window was really awesome. We really liked the room.
The location of the hotel is great as well. It is in one of the calmer places of Macao. Through a nice shopping mall it is connected to the MGM and after a few minutes walk you can reach the Wynn Macao.
The whole staff is really attentive, helpful and friendly. One afternoon we tried the lunch buffet at the hotel bar which was pretty good and has also a great value if you are hungry. Because of the large selection of restaurants in the area we had not the change to try the main restaurant. The outdoor pool is a good spot to relax.

The hotel is perfect for a weekend getaway, we would stay here again.

1 Thank Oli-on-trip
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

During a quick stop in Macau, I decided to book an one-night stay at Mandarin Oriental Macau. The hotel location is great, just minutes away from all the city center entertainment. Hotel's facade is beautiful and it seemed to have everything necessary for a great 5-star hotel.

My arrival was already by the evening and the check-in was quite messy. Actually the staff, although friendly, seemed disorganized and not so professional as the reception was barely empty.

Another thing that didn’t quite match my expectations was the room. We booked a Deluxe Corner View room, but we got nothing similar to a corner view. The room was indeed facing the Macau bay, but I felt somewhat disappointed when compared to what I've had seen on their website. Obviously I could have contacted the reception and things could have been sorted out quickly, but after a long trip I was too tired to do so.

Breakfast served was diverse and had quality. Once again staff seemed to lack some training, which is kind of odd for a world-class hotel brand. This disorganization reached its climax during check-out, as we noticed that the dinner we had the previous evening was not even included on the check-out bill. I decided to be honest and alert them for this kind of situations.

Nevertheless, by the end of my stay at Mandarin Oriental Macau, my disappointment was slightly reduced when we were offered a free shuttle ride to the pier. Unfortunately I don't recall his name, but the young employee that accompanied us to the pier was amazingly friendly and helpful even tough he seemed not so comfortable dealing with customers.

Resuming my experience, I find Mandarin Oriental Macau to be an average good hotel with some major flaws on the service provided by its staff but made me think it's not currently the best choice when staying in Macau.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family