“very good clean hotel”

Mandarin Oriental Macau
Ranked #2 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Hotel is very good, but please check prices as they do not include taxes. They offer spa voucher for american express cards. hotel offers free shuttle to and from ferry terminal.
Unfortunately they charge too much for wifi.
Rooms are very modern and all equipment is really good. we had a room with ocean view.
check-in was made in the room and all the staff was very friendly. for gamblers this hotel does not have a casino.

Room Tip: sea view is very good.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 5, 2011

We arrived at the ferry terminal and made ourselves known to the Mandarin Oriental service desk and within minutes we were being taken to the hotel by one of the hotel cars. We were met at the entrance of the hotel and whisked up to our rooms for a very smooth and efficient check in.

Our room over looked the lake/bay area and was absolutely stunning. Very large room that easily accomodated a King size bed plus rollaway for our son. BIG bathroom with tub right up against the window overlooking the view. Well laid out with seperate toilet, shower and double sinks - oh and a plasma tv that our son took great delight in watching as he sat in the bath ! Big dressing area for cases etc as well.

Pool area and the service there was amazing, infinity pool overlooking the waterfront - just stunning.

We loved Macau, hated the whole casino scene so were so glad we chose to stay at the Mandarin Oriental. We wished we had at least 1 more night there and would love to go back.

Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ToddlerTales
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Stayed here for a family get away.

We splurged, got a suite on a very high floor. View was magnificent.

Rooms are new and opulent. Service was outstanding. Everything we experienced from the pickup at the ferry terminal, welcome when we arrived (gift for 6th yr old niece was prepared), personalized the room for our needs. They know how to make you feel welcome.

Breakfast was very good, expect to be crowded by plenty of mainlanders with little etiquette.

spa was exceptional, pool was small but plenty of fun with the kids.

Try the free rain shower in the change rooms.

Hotel is interconnected to the MGM for the big kids.

I would recommend this hotel for those who want to experience service.

One problem was the time it took to get cabs during peak periods.

Room Tip: Let them know who's coming and your requirements before hand. They will then tailor your stay as...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I spent one night at the Mandarin Oriental Macau during October 2011 and came away impressed but not blown away by the hotel. I checked in at around 8.30pm and had booked using the AmEx platinum Fine Hotels programme. Despite the fact that there was plenty of availability in every class of room at the hotel they did not offer me an upgrade, despite the fact that I was entitled to one under the programme. After a brief conversation with the receptionist, they did end up giving me a one level room upgrade.
The room was spacious, well decorated with a gorgeous marble bathroom with large tub and separate large shower, it was the best Mandarin Oriental bathroom I saw on a trip during which I stayed at M.O.s in Tokyo and Hong Kong as well as Macau.
The bed was very comfortable with high thread count cotton sheets and the noise level was low. My room had a view over the bay including the Macau Tower and bridge.
I got a massage at the spa, which was absolutely gorgeous,: the quality of the massage was very good and the massage room was one of the nicest I have ever seen.
I had the buffet breakfast, which was very good with a wide selection of offerings and extremely solicitous service. I also ordered a room service meal, which was of high quality and arrived reasonably promptly.
I used the gym, which was very attractive indeed, with a view to the pool, and an excellent selection of machines and weights - highly recommended.
Just a couple of quibbles :
1. I had booked a non-smoking room and was given a room on a smoking floor (8th) although my room smelled fine so i did not bother to complain.
2. As well as charging around $500 including tax for a room, they charge $20-25 per day for wireless internet.
Other than the slight snafu at reception, service was excellent throughout my stay.
It is certainly a welcome addition to the top hotels in Macau and I would rank it slightly below the new Banyan Tree, although the One Central location of the Mandarin is clearly a superior location to the Galaxy in Cotai.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Dopanijoso
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Having just stayed at the Landmark Mandarin Oriental HK (See separate review) - We went by Premier Foil from HK to Macau.

Arrival - Meet and Greet Service was conducted by Francies Sienthe head concierge himself, he met us at the ferry terminal and came with us to the hotel. The GM and other key staff were waiting outside the hotel to personally welcome us.

Room - We were upgraded to the Waterfront Suite which consisted of a lounge with a bedroom and one bathroom and one guest toilet. Views were very good, on one side seeing the Lisboa hotel and the other the Cotai strip hotels, at night the light-show from the room was impressive. Amenities included a nespresso machine and a very impressive telephone system.

Service - Staying only for two days at Macau we really did not test the concierge or other services, however restaurant recommendations, show tickets and local info were good. Francies actually goes one step beyond duty and ensures precise information is given.

Dining - Breakfast was great in the very impressive restaurant. Great selection of food items with very efficient service found this better than the Landmark Mandarin breakfast. Other places we dined at was the Golden Flower at the Wynn. This is an exceptional restaurant offering Tan cuisine (Chinese food designed for the emperors) a must in Macau (think top 100 restaurants in the world). A tea sommelier is also on hand and worth consulting. If your lucky you might even get a custom made souvenir. Mortons is also good at the Venetian as well as the food court their.

Shows - Saw the house of dancing water which was on par with the Cirque du Soleil shows.

Overall - Great hotel and does not have that weird smell of the Wynn to mask the Cigarette smell, however dont expect the razzmatazz of Las Vegas Macau is smaller and is a different compared to Las Vegas, gambling is conducted seriously here!

Also have a look at the MGM, part of the hotel is modelled on the MGM Mansions in Las Vegas (which is quite difficult to stay in).

Room Tip: High floor rooms
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Agni
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Best view for me from room 1012, its on the corner so that you have macau tower, bridge and Lisboa view....
On ferry terminal, mandarin hotel offer free shuttle and the person name benjamin was very friendly and willing to give me a map from the tourist information.
You can book and pay the ferry ticket back to HKIA from the frond desk.
Room with 42" lcd tv and sound sysem with ipod docking, also it has a coffee machine for esspresso.
Everything was excellence.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank antipedes
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We were on a boys trip to Macau and had to change hotels midway as Wynn (which I reviewed earlier) did not have rooms for Friday or Saturday night. I am an Amex Platinum member and so through Amex got a decent deal at Man O Macau. The rate was about 2600 HKD per night which included breakfast and upgrade to a jr suite.

The hotel is actually very close to Wynn. From the back casino exit of Wynn you can walk across to the One shopping center (which is linked to MGM) and the shopping center is connected to Mandarin. But we had some luggage and so had to take a taxi. The cab driver must be wanting to increase the meter charge so it took us 10 minutes to get to Man O which is a 5 minute walk from Wynn :).

We got in at about 1 PM. We enquired about the upgrade and they upgraded us to a bay facing room which was the next category as they claim they did not have a junior suite. But another reviewer has mentioned they he was upgraded to a jr suite so not sure if the hotel was trying to not give us the Amex guaranteed rate.

The room itself was pretty small as compared to Wynn. This cant be a Mandarin Oriental room. I can understand if they give a small room at HKG due to real estate cost. But not at Macau. I was disappointed with the room size. The floor has wood paneling and as always with wood after some time you get that wood smell. I am not a big fan of wood on hotel floors. The door etc did look a bit dated. the edges were chipped. I am surprised how as the hotel is less than 2 years old. Seems that they are not continuously maintaining and upgrading the small things. Expect more from Mandarin.

The hotel has 1 main restaurant and a 1 lobby cafe. The restaurant food was quite nice and is worth trying. It is multi cuisine and the dim sums were really good. Did not try the spa so cant comment on that.

There is a free drop off to the ferry termina (as with all hotels). The concierge went out and bought our tickets in advance for a small 10% service fee. Well worth it. They charge for internet. Quite expensive. It was 190 HKD for a day. Wynn charged 110 per day.

Overall good hotel but a REAL Mandarin. When I stay at Man O I have high expectations. Unfortunately this one could not meet it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends