“Oasis in the insanity that is Macau”
Review of Grand Hyatt Macau

Grand Hyatt Macau
Ranked #6 of 95 Hotels in Macau
Hong Kong, China
“Oasis in the insanity that is Macau”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

While I enjoy going to both Macau and Las Vegas, I am typically one that like to stay at a hotel in the heart of things, but slightly removed from the madness (asin, no casino but close to it). This typically means the Four Seasons in both Vegas and Macau. This time, my wife and I tried the Grand Hyatt and thoroughly enjoyed it. Its a 5 min walk to the casino at the City of Dreams, and a 10 min walk to the Venetian. It close, but just enough removed. If given the option, even if you have to pay more, make sure you get Grand Club. It is brand new, on the top floor, and the service was impeccable. The Club includes breakfast, as well as a happy hour which was so good, it basically became dinner. The gym, spa and pool were also nice. The food, especially Beijing Kitchen, was outstanding. We will absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Grand Club a must and worth the upgrade upon booking.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I and our 2 kids stayed overnight in the Grand Hyatt and watched the House of Dancing Waters show. This is a truly 5 star hotel, or more. The staff - check in, check out and restaurants were always extra attentive to our requests. We stayed in the 30th floor in a suite, with a superb view. The room had Nespresso coffee maker & pods (my favorite), a huge bathroom with "rain shower" head and beds ultra comfortable. Also, staying in the hotel was really convenient for the show, since it's 2 min walks from the loby inside the hotel. The show is similar to a Cirque de Soleil and entertaining, but I would say that the highlight was the hotel.

Room Tip: The twin beds in the suite here can accommodated 2 adults and with kids and there is a very nice cou...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hvoldman
Shanghai, China
Reviewed June 25, 2013

we got a package for a suite with the water show. room was fantastic, big and well decorated. don't miss the huge salted water swimming pool, with in-water seats. will come back for sure. we had ocean view but the ocean is not that nice in that place so don't bother paying the extra.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Booked 2 rooms for family. Staff tried to keep us as close as possible so ended up on the same floor. Grand club lounge provided impeccable service and showed concern for my elderly parents. Breakfast spread was wide and of good quality.
Dora and Randy(Grand Club Lounge) stood out in terms of service, friendliness and concern.
The Peking restaurant was also of very high quality, food wise.

Room Tip: Stay at this hotel and catch "House of Dancing Water"
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

First impressions were not good. We arrive from Bangkok and wait for the shuttle bus...and wait...and wait. The Venetian, Holiday Inn, Cotai Strip buses coming and going but none for Grand Hyatt!!! Thirty minutes later I return to the terminal, somewhat hot and flustered and ask at Information. The bus, I was told, leaves from departures, not arrivals! Well of course, it does...why not!!! No signs, no apologies.

Having vented that from my system, my friends and I arrive, and the blood pressure immediately comes down. We have booked rooms on the club floor - floor 37, and the extra dollars are well worth it. The club itself is well appointed, the evening cocktails and drinks are of good quality and a broad range. There are 3 chefs on duty so the "snacks" well and truly substitute for dinner. And the morning breakfast is just as good with an excellent range in a private atmosphere.

There was a building site next door, but the noise was not bothersome. The corner room I had was very well appointed and the bed linen was of superior quality...and on a most comfortable bed. The bathroom was huge with good quality toiletries and a wonderful free standing bath. My only criticism was that some of the bath towels were getting to the end of their lives and need replacing.

Our main reason for staying here was to attend the City of Dreams House of Dancing Water...and what a fantastic show it is. Go there. It took us 10 minutes from downing the last cocktail in the Grand Club to sitting in our seats in the theatre.

Room Tip: get a club room....you will not regret the extra charge.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Visited this hotel from 25-28 May 2013.

First impression:
Not that good as even though there was a porter or staff at the entrance of the hotel, when the shuttle bus came to a halt and I got off to retrieve my luggage, no one came to welcome and pick up my luggage even though I was the only passenger/customer. This happen only after I enter the hotel ground that someone ask me if I am checking in and led me to the counter - after I went to the wrong counter though, haha.

Good:
1. Hotel lobby is grand and nice with very high ceilings and a nice "water ball" display.

2. Check-in was smooth and the check in counter personnel, a young chap, was friendly and tried his best to communicate in English.

3. A porter helped me with my luggage to my room and explained the various features of the room - more on the switches. He received a nice tip from me for his efforts.

4. Simple amenities were found in the room.

5. The room is very space efficient. Has adjacent sliding doors that can be drawn to shield one from the view of the w.c./bathroom area.

6. Had a room with pool view including view of venetian and galaxy from afar. Quite nice.

7. On my check out day, a porter within the hotel came and wanted to help me with my luggage. I instead asked him about the ferry timing to HK to which he was kind enough to bring me to the concierge counter and showed me the timings via a chart. He also informed me where to catch a shuttle although it was not very clear. Again, as he was sincere in his approach, I gave him a small token of appreciation.

Not so good:
1. After using a good 3/4 of the shower gel etc, when housekeeping was done, they simply did not refill these amenities on my first day when I returned to my room in the night. On my second day, I threw away the used bottles and new ones were refilled.

2. Coffee - being a coffee drinker, I finished the instant coffee and it was also not refilled. I tried and place the box holding the instant coffee on the table. Viola, it was refilled.

Do I have to do these things in a 5 star hotel?

3. After using the bath robe for the first day, I placed it on the bed as I went out. When I came back, the bath robe was gone!!! Kind of return only on the 3rd day...hmmmm I wonder.

4. Second day, after finishing the cotton buds, again it was not refilled!!! Not even till my last day there. Good thing I brought my own.

5. Air-con was inconsistent. At times it is a bit warm and at times, just nice, even when the switches were adjusted. This happens even in the night when I was already on bed.

6. Room size is a tad small and feels "tired" and bland. Does not feel comfortable somehow. Furniture like a coffee table which is about 1m in diameter, was like chucked into the room...feels odd. The room size is good for those who likes to sleep with security feel as it is small but still it will feel somewhat not cosy or comfy.

7. Window shade that's full height does not cover out the sun totally so in the morning can somehow see a line of ray from the side of the shield. Or, maybe I did not draw it down well. Not very sure about this part.

As this hotel is deem to be 5 star, I would have expected less shortfalls and some of which are supposed to be fluid without a glitch like housekeeping issues. While I could have called the housekeeping, I find it too laborious to be calling at odd hours when I return and there were quite a few miss outs.

Except for those people I met, the general feel of the hotel personnel was not as friendly especially the "security guards"(I think they are security guards) - they stare hard at you as you walk to the lift even though in a day I could see them a few times as I go up and down.....
In another 5 star hotel nearby, you get people of the hotel saying "hi" to you as you walk past them and they smile very warmly too - it makes a holiday even better knowing you are welcomed. Not here at Grand Hyatt though...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank StevenTHKoh
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed there last month, for an extended family week-end. This hotel has managed to keep a human size, despite the gigantism of Macau and the herds of mainland tourists. Room are clean, large and bright, well equipped. Staff is attentive, but need to keep it up. Check-in was really slow, even though our situation was very simple ... Restaurants are good, especially Mezza9, and its manager, Mr. Carlos Netto. He was a charming host during the entire night, extremely attentive to our every needs before we could even express them. Magician? Beijing Kitchen good, not as perfect as the one in Beijing. We also pampered ourselves at the spa, much to our satisfaction. In summary: a great stay, with good staff (not easy to find in Macau these days...), slightly out of the crowded way. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family