WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Grand Hyatt Macau

Grand Hyatt Macau
Ranked #5 of 92 Hotels in Macau
Hong Kong, China
“Great hotel and design, but smokey on the non smoking floors.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in this Grand Hyatt three times and I like the hotel overall. Nice rooms and Design and services. The only issue is their non smoking floors have mainland Chinese customers smoking everywhere. I mentioned this to the management and they went to check on it, but be aware 80 percent of the hotels in Macau are occupied by Chinese and many feel they don't have to follow the rules. A big problem I came across many times. Like Chinese screaming on their mobile phones in the theater. Beware Macau is fun but you have to deal with other issues. To the management of the Hyatt, be forceful and tell these customers off, don't allow this to go on.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at this property in March 2011. We were very impressed with the club lounge on the bottom floor with wonderful service and food stations. The gym was also a highlight of this hotel in 2011. However, they no longer exist. They have decided to remodel this relatively new hotel and if you have visited prior to the beginning of this year you will be very disappointed with the Club Lounge and Gym. The gym has been relocated to a back section of the Spa. And the club lounge has been moved to where the old gym used to be, overlooking the pool area.

This is not noted anywhere on their site and when we booked our room earlier this year with Award Points it was not noted. We also wrote directly to the hotel in July of this year to express how happy we were to be coming back to enjoy their Club Lounge and Gym for a weekend stay celebrating our Anniversary and their response neglected to notify of these two facilities no longer existing as we experienced it during our previous stay. Also, our 1 week confirm from the hotel said nothing of the remodel.

When we checked in we were greeted by the Rooms director. My wife inquired what happened to the old check-in area for Club members she informed of us of the remodeling.

We checked-in went to see the new gym and club lounge. What is amazing is they didn't ruin one facility, they ruined two! Taking out the gym and club lounge. Both were below average. The club lounge is not worth any extra money. The old gym room is not set up for being a club lounge. The beer was warm, food was walked in from the restaurant next door and the Lay potato chips were a nice touch. This club lounge is not 10% of what its old club lounge was in 2011.

The gym is now jammed in the corner of the Spa. I informed the Rooms director that they should remove the pictures of the old gym from their website. This has been done.

We made a special trip to Macau to stay here at the Grand Hyatt. And to disclose; it was on Awards Points for the Platinum member. I asked to speak to the GM or Assistant GM. The highest person available to talk to was the Rooms director since it was a Saturday.

If this was our first stay we would have not known any better and I think that is what management is betting on in this case. However to us it was deception. We could have spent our Anniversary anywhere or used our points at any Hyatt.

After 2 hours we negotiated a solution. They would let us stay that evening in our booked room, no upgrade as orignally offered. They would refund our points for both nights and they were kind enough to call Hong Kong and book us an extra night at our next place of stay (Four Seasons) for $1000US at our expense.

Our special day that we planned at this Grand Hyatt Macau was a big disappointment. I don't like having to negotiate to get a refund on our points for what the Grand Hyatt Macau misrepresented.

We did get to experience the Club Lounge and I can report that it is well below average in food quality and drinks relative to Club Lounges found in Asia. Actually, when we were there, two employees of the hotel used the Club Lounge as a Employee lounge, one actually was still in his work outfit (a chef). Enjoying coffee and cold beverage during Cocktail time while the room was almost full and guests were using the lounge. (See Pic) I confirmed with the Host and Hostess that they were indeed employees. They went to the employees and told them of my inquiry and in turn the employees responded, "Who Asked?". They soon thereafter got up and marched out the front door of the lounge.

Other Practical info:

Room was not very clean this visit. Black hairs on the couch.

They are building the Wynn hotel next door on the side facing the Macau Airport. So currently you hear them "Pile" driving supports into the ground.

In the middle of the night for a couple of hours there was a woman roaming the hallways drunk and screaming like she was dying. Security never came, so I am not sure what the hallway cameras are for at this hotel.

I did receive a voicemail from the Hotel Manager later that evening, however it was too late. I had already explained my disappointment to several people and he should have been there when I asked for him.

This Hyatt was a huge disappointment. It was not about the Points or Money, but the time and expectation of what we knew this hotel used to be during our previous stay.

From my experience this trip and what I witnessed, I feel there is a management problem. They need to be more proactive and more hands on perhaps.

May I again recommend posting on your website's front Page(as Grand Hyatt San Francisco currently does during a Lobby renovation) that you have relocated the Gym/Club Lounge while you build a better club lounge projected to be finished June 2013. Therefore you won't be deceiving a previous guest out of money/points and their valuable time.

We did have a wonderful breakfast before we left the Hyatt as we happily went to a proper 5 star hotel in Hong Kong.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tkids
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights,.... Well I love this among all in Macau... Spacious, Modern, clean, new, spacious, comfy....unique design especially the toilet, rectangle from wc, powder, tub, shower looking thru window the Macau airport.. The sofa is modern comfy.... Enjoying stunning view of the airport with varieties of tea...(Chinese tea, English tea, coffee, biscuit)... Hope to come back...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed 1 night in club king room, spacious room with view..especially like the bathtub which you can enjoy the stunning view...the sofa is large and comfortable
can enjoy the club lounge at 3/F anytime you want..however, some downsides1) bed is not long enough 2) the air-temp in room starts at 25degree, try to lower the temp..but keep 23.5 whole night..i sweat and sweat and couldn't sleep well 3) late check in (5:30pm) for my room..though provide a late checkout at 1pm for compensation...but paying over HK$3000 would like to enjoy the hotel as much as possible..
still recommend this hotel but if you go in summertime, rem to lower the air-con temp once you get into room, besides, dun go to macau on saturday..unless you will only stay in hotel =P (but hv to make sure hotel give u room on time)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Minna1228
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Not up to my expectation, here's why:
1. Checked in on Thurs, which is not even their weekend rush yet, but they couldn't get the room to us by 3pm, but only by 4:15pm
2. They gave us a non-smoking room which was filled with smoking smell. The floor clearly labelled "Non-smoking floor", but the front desk said they don't have a non-smoking floor, but non-smoking room only. I can understand how hotels with business mainly from Mainland Chinese could have difficulties in enforcing non-smoking policy, but if their signs of non-smoking says "fine of $1,000 if evidence of smoking is found", then no guests are going to take this seriously. This is terrible. I have visited many 5-star hotels including the Kempinskyi in Chengdu that was able to have the non-smoking floor policy enforced. There's no excuse1
3. They have got an nespresso machine, but with no coffee mugs! They had two chinese tea cups which the reception said were the coffee cups. But chinese tea cups have no 'holding hoop' - how are we suppose to hold the hot coffee chinese tea cup and drink the hot coffee??!!
4. When checked in, we were told they would deliver newspaper to us in the morning. We asked three times the next morning (one of those was when the service person came to help us with our room amenities and he called front desk to ask for it), and still no newspaper was delivered.
Points 3 and 4 above were minor points, but points 1 and 2 were the killer for a supposedly 5-star hotel. We stayed at Sofitel Pointe 16, and it was a much much better value for money!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank weonny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful, clean, modern decor. Lovely pool but I didn't get to use it during my stay. Free breakfast was awesome-large variety. Arranged free brownie cake for birthday. Fresh fruits and flowers in room-very nice touch. Shuttle services to other casinos. Dancing Water show was nice but boring in some parts.

Cons-Sad view of construction from room. Light Snacks Hour had very limited selection and cookies were stale. The Cocktail Hour needs to replenish food more often.

• Stayed August 2012
Macau
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was there and held two different types of events for biz, both of time I encountered exactly the same problems, actually I had immediately feedback to the hotel, unfortunately, nothing had changed. The valet parking staffs were so arrogant and not willing to provide assistance, they even asked me to park in the public car park by myself. Maybe they were only work for the people who driving a super luxury limousine/super-roadster, futhermore they were just so slow to return my and my colleagues CHEAP JAPANESE cars.

The receptionists were rude and impolite, two of my vvip guests were so unhappy because of their innocent behavior and untrained conversation, finally, my vvip guests went to Conrad hotel and paid by themselves, I was embarrassed to them.

I complained to my account executive immediately when I got that information, although she tried so hard, but I could see every department of Macau Grand Hyatt, they were not cooperated, every time when one department ask for the other department's help (especially the ad-hoc works), it always took a long time and merely provided lower grade services that I was requesting for.

The coffee break they offering (included in the package) were stingy, yes all menus had been provided, but I doubt that the quantity. For the banquet dinner, I seriously unsatisfied to most of the waiter and waitress, they were so rude, impolite and unsophisticated serving skills, my guests were so surprised they were served by such low standard in Grand Hyatt, I would those servants are around 40 - 50 something, looks like a part-time and totally untrained by Grand Hyatt.

Last but not the least, the hotel's room and the public facilities were quite good, one of the restaurant called "Beijing kitchen" was worthwhile to take a try. Still, I could see the contractor whom took this project, their handmade and the workers' skills had a big room to improve, many positions of the decoration being turned old and appearing problem already, suggests the hotel it is the time to do a detail check.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business