“Nice hotel close to all the action”

Crown Towers at City of Dreams
Ranked #37 of 95 Hotels in Macau
“Nice hotel close to all the action”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Overall, staying in the Crown Towers is a very good experience. Even though you are right on top of the action in the City of Dreams and over the road from the Venetian, the inside of the hotel is quite sedate and you are given all the personal service you need.

The hotel is new, so every thing is modern and finished to a high standard. The rooms are large and have good views over the Cotai Strip. They are finished well with personal coffee machines, entertainment systems, etc. including the bathroom. They have a nice pool which was nice a quiet when I stayed there, as opposed to the crowded Hard Rock pool next door.

Location is right on top of the casino so there's no escaping gambling, shops and people but thats why lots of people come here. Overall, a good modern hotel right in the middle of the action.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sydney
Reviewed March 3, 2011

A frequent visitor to Macau and we would normally at the Mandarin Oriental.

Tried the Crown for a change. Great rooms, large and really nicely designed but badly let down by the service. English spoken by concierge and front desk staff was generally relatively poor. Concierge in particular was very poor. Ask a question about Chinese food and get shown brochures on Brazilian food, enormous issues with booking ferry tickets and it just went on from there, newspaper deliveries to the room happened once out of 4 days that sort of stuff. In themselves small issues but not acceptable at this level of hotel. Even more strange was a phone call at 9.30 at night to extend the holding charge over my credit card. Normally hotels just do this but no, the Crown wanted to do the right thing and check first. The reason for the call was never explained etc leaving me feeling most unwelcome and as if my credit was in doubt. It wasn't was adequately explained the next day but what 5 star hotel calls its guests with this stuff at 9.30 at night? A very amateurish experience. Business Centre is dreadful by the way but its a hotel on top of a casino even then should have been accessible to guests.

Staff really made an effort to try but just lacked the training and the skills to do the job to a 5 star hotel standard. Don't get me wrong, never rude or unwilling just entirely unable due to skills levels to provide the required and really not very complex service.

Breakfast was again very average but the room lovely. Really, unless you must stay at the City of Dreams for conference or other reasons do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else if you want real 5 star e.g. the Mandarin Oriental. Very disappointing experience.

Please note that I raised these issues with management who acknowledged them all and provided an unasked for complimentary transfer to the ferry terminal when leaving.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SydneyAlan
Dubai
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Very new and plush hotel. Couldn't ask for more in Macau. Wonderful room. Casino at city of dreams is HUGE with a lot of options. If any of you travellers need tips to this place please contact me and would love to give you any info you are looking for. If you want a quiet and comfy place in Macau you can't go wrong with this one, it's a great hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wildmandxb
kent
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Fantastic views of Macau, very good room with fantastic facilities! My son's really liked this hotel and although I enjoyed it and thought it really good in every way, I still prefer to stay at the Wynn because the breakfast is to die for!!! especially when sitting in the garden part so relaxing.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank yeemun
Guangzhou
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I have stayed in a lot of 5* hotels and this was by far my best experience overall. The service was amazing. We were picked up by a limo upon arrival in Macau and whisked to the hotel in a brand new 7 series BMW....then we were met by another member of staff upon arrival at the hotel and taken straight to the room. They did the check in at this point in the room and a room orientation. During our stay every member of staff said hello to us and went out of their way to help us. Upon check out the manager had a chat with me to ask me about my stay. I have stayed in another well known hotel in macau that imitates some famous itialian landmarks and all i can say is this is way above the service level i got there. The only point i would make is that the breakfast is more asian and doesnt include some western food that i would have liked such as baked beans, but this is just nit picking really. They did have sausage and bacon though, with an omellete station. We also used the pool and really loved it. The nearby Hard Rock hotel has a pool that is always full of kids and seems to attract lots of families. The Crown towers doesnt seem to attract that so much and we found the pool area very tranquile and relaxing. This hotel is not the cheapest hotel but i would say it is really worth it. They have thought of all of the small details. They even have a nespresso coffee maker in the room, for example. Way better than the usual coffee you find in most 5* hotels.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2010

We arrived late at The Macau airport and our personal chauffeur was there waiting for my wife and I. Needless to say they even went as far as having us clear customs on the fast track. And as we arrive outside and saw the hotel courtesy car we felt like royalty. As we stepped in to the lobby a staff member was quick to offer us refreshments. from a cocktail to a glass of champagne. Our check-in took a total of three minutes and a bellman waited with our luggage. When we entered our suite my wife was speechless, the room, the view, the furniture, the bathrooms....WOW
We decided to call the concierge for dinner suggestions and he was quick to suggest the fabulous Horizons and made our reservation. We just loved the steak, it just melted in your mouth. As for the resort I have to highlight the pool as the place to spend those hot afternoons. And there's a BBQ for those that get a little hungry. The casino is huge but well designed. It doesn't make you feel like you are in such a big place because I assure you its huge. All in all The Crown at City of Dreams is an unbelievable hotel resort that will truly amaze you with all its restaurants, bars and lounges. If you are looking for a place to choose in Macau you wont be making a mistake at The Crown.
I would like to personally thank all the staff for making our trip a spectacular stay right from the get go.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Tucker’s Point, Bermuda
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I recently decided to whisk my wife away to Macau for a major birthday and chose the Crown as I usually do while in Macau or Melbourne. All I can say is that although I have high expectations, the Crown always exceeds them.

The welcome when we arrived at the hotel was very warm, friendly and not at all stuffy or snobby (as you might expect from a 5 star hotel). We were offered a glass of champagne on arrival and a very helpful porter showed us around the room and its features. We stayed in a deluxe suite which overlooked the City of Dreams pool area. The room was enormous and very comfortable. The room was extremely clean, modern and the bed one of the most comfortable I’ve slept in Macau. The bathroom is unequaled. I’ve stayed at the Venetian and there’s no comparison whatsoever.

I have stayed at most of the better hotels in Macau and the Crown consistently stands out as the best. There is nothing that the staff will not do to accommodate your personal needs and preferences. At the same time, they are in no way intrusive or unctuous. They are trained to treat each guest as an individual and size them up accordingly. Having visited the hotel perhaps a half dozen times in the last 3 years (including The Crown now the Altira), they not only recognize me by name on arrival but clearly have a profile in the computer that reminds them of certain idiosyncrasies and preferences (e.g. probably needs a shoeshine, takes the WSJ and USA TODAY as morning newspapers etc).

As for restaurants I assure you The City of Dreams as one to satisfy your palate. Lung Hin is my favorite, try the Boston Lobster Tail. I spoke to the Chef and they fly in fresh meats and fish on a daily basis. Mezza9 Macau has the most awesome sushi and sashimi you will ever have the pleasure of eating. I’ve tried sushi in many restaurants around the world and never has any place come close to satisfying me as they do.

Needless to say I love to gamble and the casino is unprecedented and although it is huge it still feels like the Grand Casino of Monaco. If you enjoy baccarat then you will enjoy this one since the have many tables in different sections (away from the crowds) to choose from.

Overall The City of Dreams is a resort with all the amenities that you will ever need. The pool area is as my wife describes, splendid and not overcrowded since its bigger then any other resort in Macau. Take my advice when it’s hot in Macau you’ll appreciate a little dip to cool you off.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple