“Nice food but service can be more professional”
Review of Robuchon au Dome

Robuchon au Dome
Ranked #12 of 776 Restaurants in Macau
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Food is excellent. Service is good but the staff are not professional enough. They aren't able to introduce the dish even in Cantonese. Most of them just "read" the line on the menu. I don't expect they can do it better in English. I do expect them to say a little more and tell me the uniqueness of the dish or how to cook it.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Visited Robuchon Au Dome again and finally able to treat my wife to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in Asia. Having grown familiar with the staff here over the years I enjoy patronizing the restaurants in the Grand Lisboa. The food was impeccable and this time I took some tasting notes + pictures and might edit this post in future should I do a full review of the meal.

Food aside I would like to address two things I was unhappy about. After all during this meal, it was to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of my marriage. I spent approximately $7,300HKD ($950USD) for the two of us.

- In the past requesting for changes to a menu was met with an immediate “yes” or “more than glad” especially when interacting with Lucas the past manager here. This time when I requested to have my meat changed to the Kagoshima I felt the manager (Leila) addressing me was quite impatient in her tone. My feelings were confirmed this time when I requested for a change in desserts 2 courses before the dessert was served. I was always polite and asked “Is it alright if I changed the crepe to another dessert instead? I am sorry if it is too much trouble”. I was met with a very irritated tone where she said the chef is probably preparing the dessert and she would have to stop him NOW. I was asked for her recommendations but she was very kurt and unhelpful with her responses. Excuse me ma’am I am not in a $50 eatery (where I am sure the waitresses provide better services).

- I also mentioned to the manager who took my reservation twice that I was celebrating my wedding anniversary. I was assured they would prepare something special for me. Throughout the night I was waiting for this something special until I asked for the bill. I was told that this was overlooked and was given a cake to take away. Excuse me, I am not here to get a free cake, but for perhaps a special moment or recognition from you or your staff on this special day of ours. Good job overlooking a once a year event we decided to celebrate (and pay for with good money) in your restaurant.

The food here is 5-star. The service from the other staff were excellent and we could find no fault in their service. The new Sommelier was also knowledgeable and provided an excellent wine. I just hope something can be done about the service from this restaurants manager. Our special day was ruined not to mention my wife’s first time to a restaurant I have been praising for months and years.

Left happy with the food (you get the quality you pay for here) but utterly disappointed with the service.

6  Thank BryanHuangPFS
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Three stars for what?

This place is a joke and while I am not a Michelin guru I can't imagine how such a place can get one star , let alone three.

I went for lunch and gave a credit card guarantee to hold my place, guess they worry that after potential clients find out how bad the place is, they might not show up !

Anyway, the meal started badly. Seat with the view that is supposed to be grand and showing you all of Macau...whoops, I was seated facing the billowing steam vent from the building, all I saw was a fog all lunch long. So looking inside one gets to view the 'kitsch' decor which is pretty sickening unless you like Liberace's jackets.

The service was a joke, they tried hard, but they are clearly not well trained and so green that there is no way the staff belong in an an any star restaurant , let alone a three star operation. My food and that of my dining partner arrived at different times (and I had to remind them to bring mine !). The wine had to be asked for and was then poured without showing me the bottle etc.

The wine selection was grossly overpriced and meticulously poured to match the very fine print on the menu that warns you a glass is only xx ml. The food was nothing special, it might pass for ordinary hotel fare.

Then when I expected a latte might be OK to have to finish the meal I was told the milk foaming machine was broken that day ! NO LATTE !

This place is a waste of money. Go somewhere else. Michelin should get in action and remove its stars from here to keep its reputation intact.

6  Thank HKJR
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We went to Robuchon au Dome for lunch because of its 3 Michelin stars status but it definitely let us down with it's very average food. There were so many restaurants I have been to without any Michelin star served up much better food than robouchon au dome. Over the main dishes were a bit too oily and the presentation were under expectation for a 3 Michelin star restaurant. However, the breads were quite outstanding and the choices of desserts were acceptable.

2  Thank dominatam
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were fully expecting our lunch in Robuchon au Dome to be a highlight of our visit to Macau and we weren’t disappointed. The restaurant is situated, as the name suggested, at the very top of the Grand Lisboa hotel in the glass dome. We were seated looking out over the Macau tower; what a fabulous view, shame about the cloudy weather!

We went for the 6 course option which was bread, amuse bouche, starter, soup, fish, meat, dessert, coffee and petit fours. A big lunch by anyone’s standards! The amuse bouche was sweetcorn veloute with popcorn which was quite unlike anything I have ever tasted in both texture and flavour. The breads, needless to say, were extraordinary and plentiful – I almost wished they would take them away as I couldn’t stop eating them. Even the butter has its own trolley here. The wine list is something like 4000 pages long but never fear, it’s presented on an iPad so it’s easy to navigate.

There’s not much point explaining the food in great detail as I have added pictures. Just to say it was all as good as it looks! Having read the menu online I’d already decided I was going to have the wagu and foie gras burger – who can resist trying a 3 Michelin-starred burger? My partner ordered the signature dish of quail with foie gras and Joel’s famous mashed potato (50% butter) which the waiter kindly gave me a scoop of too even though it wasn’t on my dish. It was quite the richest and tastiest mash I’ve ever had by some distance. Unfortunately for my partner, he was still jet-lagged and a bit queasy and couldn’t manage the large slab of seared foie gras on his main. All the better for me though as I scoffed it without a second thought for my waistline.

After the main I was becoming a little anxious as I had seen the dessert trolley and had no idea how I was going to choose between all the options which looked fantastic. The mille feuille is famous here but I have always wanted to try floating islands. I need not have feared because you can have as many things as you like! So obviously I ordered both and they were delicious. The chefs here really are at the pinnacle of their trade.

As you would expect, the service was exceptional. The only slight issue was that we would have preferred slightly longer between courses but then it was lunch-time when a lot of people would be in for business and in more of a hurry. So on balance, it’s understandable. The staff were courteous, knowledgeable and genuinely friendly without ever being overbearing.

The bill came in at around £240 for the 2 of us which is way less than you would expect for a restaurant of this standing. If I didn’t live thousands of miles away I would be there for every special occasion.