“There are other better places!”
Review of Platao - CLOSED

Platao
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Nice restaurant located in the center of the city with delicious food and beers. Decently priced and generous portions. Caters to large groups as well.
UK
“There are other better places!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Went there for evening dinner and was quite disappointed by the menu choice, despite it being a Portuguese restaurant, they didn't have some of the basics.

Atmosphere was good but we left after 5 minutes due to lack of proper Portuguese food (mostly fusion).

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Lisbon
“Portuguese cuisine with good taste and excellent service”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This restaurant was very nice. The indoor area was nicely presented and the staff were friendly and fast serving. The food was very tasty and I could taste the Portuguese flavours. Surprisingly run by non-Portuguese people. The outdoor area was very pleasant as well. Lovely to visit and cosy. Those that like the famous pastel de bacalhau (cod cake) would love the ones they serve. Same flavour and double size. Brilliant.

• Visited December 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good Portugease restaurant at the old town”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This restaurant was highly recommended by a friend, as it is located in the center of the old town, unlike Fernando's where you have to take a taxi. It is perfect lunch venue, therefore, while exploring the old town. It is not easy to find, but once you find it, it is actually easy to look for. Once you reach the yellow-colored church at the center of the old town, it is in the back alley beside McDonald's. Then you will see the Platao restaurant sign, which brings you to a cemented courtyard? Would have better if they kept the garden. The line was long when we arrived during lunch time, and the waiters told us to return after 1 hour. The Filipino waiters were friendly, and tried to accomodate us, so we got a table inside, which was good as the courtyard was freezing, although the "ambiance" would have been better (perhaps for summer). The duck rice was good, the baccalao, and the grilled lamb. But nothing to die for, or for me to crave to come back, or maybe, I am just partial to Portuguese food. So it is good, but not great.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Alex O
Hong Kong
“Far better dining options in Macau for the money: avoid”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

It is New Year's Day 2013 and I really struggled to get back to HK because of the terrible food poisoning Platao left me with. We went there for lunch as my elderly mother was cold and tired. My instinct told me to give the place a miss, but we dined there anyway.

The first sign that something was amiss was the staff forcing us to dine al fresco on the coldest day of the year: I'm guessing this was to make the place look busy. The staff were relatively helpful, but the food was mediocre at best. It looks like the owner is trying to maximize profits at the expense of customer satisfaction. The tea bags used weren't even a known brand: what is My Cup?

I had the bacalhau rolls and lamb curry. Later that night I found I had a surprising lack of appetite when eating room service at the Westin.

Today was an absolute disaster. I had to go back to HK early because I was violently ill and my plans for the day were ruined. Now, on New Year's Day, I'm posting from my iPhone. My joints ache and I haven't eaten all day :(

1 Thank JayinHK
Geneva, Switzerland
“Good food”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Excellent traditional macau dishes...
No service but the food was really hot and tasty.
Location is central in a courtyard...
Nice portuguese wine.
Dessert was really good and coffee too.
Go there, it is really good for the price in the city centre of Macau.

Visited November 2012