“A pleasant meal”

Dining options: Reservations
Hong Kong, China
“A pleasant meal”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

A Portuguese friend recommended this place to me. I respected his opinion and went along despite some of the hysteric reviews on Tripadvisor. The house white wine was excellent and good value. The Waitress was very friendly and efficient. The owner was also pleasant. Didn't see the metal bar that other reviewers have mentioned. We took the sausages as a shared starter. Tasty. Then I had the cod in olive oil and my pal had the veal. Both hearty portions and very tasty. We then shared a cheese course. My god. It was great. Sharp and salty. The owner then kindly recommended a spot for a post prandial beverage. All in all it was a good lunch and I would certainly go back.

4 Thank PatrickSH

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Delicious”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I had been going to Afonso for over a year, at least once a week, before moving away from
Macau. Upon my return today it was the first place I wanted to go, and it did not dissapoint. The food is excellent and a very reasonable price. I've lived in Rome, New York and New Orleans and often places with 'crusty' service and interiors are the hidden gems. The best way to eat here is with a group so you can all share. Get the sardines, Macanese shrimp, pork liver and the grilled chicken with simple lettuce salad. If it's winter, the rabbit stew is amazing. I have brought many groups of people here from NYC and they all loved it. Just don't make any special request! Eat what is on the menu, or go somewhere else.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Archblonde
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Do not go, ignore Lonely Planet...”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We chose this restaurant as my Brazilian girlfriend wanted to try authentic Portuguese food. The restaurant itself is dark but feels not too bad. The food was average, the clams were good but the Bacalhau was poor. But everything was oevrshadowed by the service. The waitress is extremely rude, and the owner is worse, a real grumpy old bast**d who insulted my girlfriend when she enquired about the menu. No interest in making the occasion enjoyable, we will obviously never return and encourage everyone else to steer clear.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank JamesSinclair79
Macau
“Nothing has chenged”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I went to Afonso III after a long absence. Nothing has changed, for the better or for the worse. The food is still good, the portions are still big, the place is still shabby, the female Filipino waiter still has no manners at all and business is still good - nevertheless.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank Goncalo2008
Hong Kong, China
“Best Family Restaurant in Asia”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I often make a trip to Macau just to eat at this restaurant. My mother-in-law is a tough customer and loves it to. All my colleagues who have been there over the years are so impressed by the food and the value. Wine list is limited by great quality. I found the staff to be ok but am not there to make friends I am there to have a lovely meal.

• Visited October 2012