“Real Portuguese food”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2012

This is definitely the best Portuguese restaurant I have been to Macau so far.
I am Brazilian and I am living in HK and from time to time me and my girlfriend go to Macau to eat. The location is just fine. It is located in the center of the city. The place was accessible but the interior needs more lighting. It was a bit too dark inside. The owner treated us very well and he talked to us for several minutes too. He looked so happy to see that we speak Portuguese as well. The food was just amazing. The waitress was not very polite but well, nobody is perfect... I will definitely come again to this amazing place and I am planning to bring my other Brazilian friends too. The cod fish tasted so yummy and it reminded me of the one I had at Portuguese restaurants in Sao Paulo. The menu was written in Portuguese and English and it was easy to read. They don't have a wine list but you can just go and grab the one you want. We paid MOP 300 and we couldn't finish all the dishes since the portions are big.

3  Thank Robson H

Reviewed March 5, 2012

It looked closed from the outside with very dark interior. My 3 coworker & I, who are all in ther hospitality/service industry, experienced such unwelcoming and insulting behavior from the waitress that we had to walk out of the restaurant after placing our orders. On our way out, we mentioned to the owner that we were leaving because the waitress was rude. His response was, "That's my daughter, maybe you were taking too long to place your orders and didn't want to order enough dishes. We are here to make money, not be nice to you." After that comment, we were glad to leave. Maybe the food is good, but the service was terrible.

4  Thank 365dragon
Reviewed November 28, 2011

had one of the purtugues specials, didn't really know what I was ordering, got a veryt salty cod potato and olive oil dish I couldn't finish, even though I normally eat a lot. Jokingly was asked why I couldn't finish, not I realize that synchronizes with the other reviews on the list. Maybe this is macau's "soup Nazi"? Worth a try once because of the interesting location and authentic old school Macau character but be careful and don't go to impress a date...

1  Thank MaxmacauHKG
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Afonso III is a good choice to enjoy authentic Portuguese food and seems to be very popular among the Portuguese community in Macau. Price is very reasonable (portions are big, so they are easily sharable). It is a small and a little old-fashioned restaurant, where the food is the real star.

2  Thank FernandaMaria
Reviewed October 9, 2011

The food is very good and the portions large (and I would like to stress that this is Portuguese food, not Macanese one) but the premises are poor and dark, the waitresses have no manners and the landlord insults whoever dares to make any complaint: I saw him rudely scolding two ladies who complained about the steak. This is not a place for me, thank you very much!

5  Thank Goncalo2008