I don't really understand all those "fantastic" reviews. This hotel is just average. There isn't really anything special. "Everything is focused on your holiday?" I don't think so.
But to get to the point:
- free wireless internet (although only outside, not in rooms but still good and reliable)
- wonderful and well kept gardens and pools
- warm water in pools and nice jacuzzis
- impressive reception hall
- rooms (very basic)
- service (staff is generally ok with few exceptions)
- size of the pools (they are NOT huge as somebody mentioned - sometimes very crowded and you can't really swim)
- view from the rooms (nothing really special - there is ugly supermarket next to the hotel, few buildings and some empty dirt field)
- you have to walk 10min to the beach and town centre
- you have to pay for the safe (tiny safe anyway)
- you have to pay for almost everything (tennis court, bowling, pool table (1 broken and another one was failing also))
- food (apart from few things like fresh fried eggs or fish the food is terrible and very basic)
Few examples: 5min eggs turned out to be burnt and solid inside, melted ice creams always the same 4 flavours, cold fries, out dated bread etc… The food was almost always the same, tasteless and cold, drinks are not included for lunch and dinner. The choice of the food is not really great, very limited to few things.
- you have to choose sitting for a dinner which is strange
- you are assigned to a table for a dinner but not for a breakfast (funny rules) - new people coming in had to stand and wait for assigned table (while there were always plenty of free tables anyway)
- there are strict rules about dressing for a dinner! It is not a restaurant! It is a buffet with rubbish food. Honestly, chicken nuggets are better in macdonalds. Yes! Chicken nuggets, this is the food they are serving.
- drink prices - you will pay 2.20 euro for a small water or cola (in a supermarket 20m away from the hotel the same water 0.50euro). I can see now why they are not offering any drink for a dinner for free (half board/full board).
- rooms walls are very thin and if you have noisy visitors next door you won't sleep
- smell of the sewage on the balcony every morning and evening
- rubbish old TV which will hurt your eyes after few minutes watching
- patches of gravel in some places around the pool. I don't know who was such an idiot to do that. It hurts when you walk on it and it messes the pool area and the pool itself.
It seems that they want to get extra money on everything. We had to check out from our room because our flight was scheduled at 2am at night (this is how we booked through First Choice, it is not what we planned, this is FC schedule). They did offer our room for 'longer' but for extra 30 euro! I wouldn't mind if the room was booked for somebody else but just for extra 6 hours 30euro? We wouldn't even sit in the room.
The hotel is still nice but totally overpriced and overrated on tripadvisor! 94% ?! Joke.
This is a good place for german pensioners because 80% of the visitors are from Germany. If you come here for 2 weeks and don't want to sit everyday at the pool you better rent a car and go for a ride around the island because in this town there isn't much to do.
Overall the hotel is not that bad but not as good as all those reviews here.
If you really want to go there, don't go with full board. It is a waste of money!
VERY BIG MINUS for FIRST CHOICE here. Our transfer from the hotel to the airport took 3 hours! They had to pick up all those people on the way to the airport.
and BTW the beach is not 300m away but 600m.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This impressive resort represents a Canarian Village and consists of 9 different buildings. There are 487 rooms, distributed in 399 double rooms, 33 single rooms, 5 double suites and 50 junior suites. There isn't a feeling of being in a large resort - the original architecture which includes a chapel speaks for itself. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV with integrated DVD-player, mini bar (for supplement), safe (on charge), bathroom with hairdryer, furnished terrace or balcony and more. The total surface of 48.000 M2, includes about 10.300 M2 of subtropical garden area with two splendid swimming pools (heated in winter) and whirlpools, kid's pool, kid's playground, solarium with sun beds, mattresses, umbrellas, and pool restaurant with terrace. This luxury resort offers a buffet restaurant, a-la-carte restaurant "Los Guayres," 3 bars, Discobar, Kiosque, a meeting room, a TV room, an internet and reading room (Internet on charge), Wellness and Spa Center "Spa Inagua" (for supplement, entrance up to 18 years old) and a large variety of sport activities (bowling alley, multi-sport field, gym, ping pong, darts, boccia, garden chess, aerobics, aqua gym...). Some activities may be on charge. The Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa is a unique combination of a luxury vacational resort with an authentic Spanish atmosphere in a peaceful and beautiful surrounding. The wonderful subtropical climate allows the visitor to enjoy water sport activities and to play golf all year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Cordial Mogan Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cordial Mogan Playa Hotel Puerto De Mogan
- Mogan Playa
- Hotel Mogan Playa
- Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa
- Cordial Mogan Playa Puerto De Mogan, Gran Canaria