“A good hotel for solo travellers”

Cordial Mogan Playa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Puerto de Mogan
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I booked this hotel for a week at the end of February having been recommended it by a friend. I was not disappointed. I had emailed ahead and asked for a sunny and quiet room and got a lovely single room overlooking the pool nearest the reception area. The sun shone in all afternoon and, even though there were guests on either side of me, I didn't hear them and slept well every night.

Unlike a lot of reviews, I thought the food was good, plentiful and varied - breakfasts were especially good. Breakfast is served from 7.30 to 10.30 which is great for choice, as I went for a swim or to the gym (very nice gym) first, I would go to breakfast around 9.45, loads of space and I could take my time - they weren't hurrying you out.

The hotel seems very good for older people and people with a disability - this is just my impression as I didn't get anyone's opinion on that.

The spa was lovely but very expensive, I had the most expensive pedicure of my life there, but they did a good job!

The only disappointment I had was not with the hotel but with Puerto Mogan itself. I felt that there really was nothing there except the hotel. The beach is nice, but small, and the surrounding harbour was pretty but underwhelming. There are signs everywhere of the Spanish boom and bust - especially just outside the hotel entrance where a large shopping centre was built but very few of the shops occupied - and a lot of concrete.

This was a break that I wanted to just totally relax, have no responsibilities and soak up some Vit D - I got it all from the hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Nicks_travel
There are newer reviews for Cordial Mogan Playa

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Thanks to our neighbour's advice we headed for this hotel in Puerto Mogan & found it perfect! The layout is lovely with beautiful gardens & swimming pools & standards throughout are very high. The food was very good too - we had half board & sadly we were usually too full to try out the seafront cafes & bars! Puerto Mogan is very attractive with a lovely little beach with imported golden sand & a 'lagoon' area for swimming.The marina & port area make for a nice after dinner stroll! We would definitely return - for a longer stay & do some exploring further afield - provided the resort doesn't become 'over developed' this is the Canary Islands at their best!

Room Tip: If you need to be in your room or on your terrace or balcony for longer periods (eg babysitting) the...
1  Thank Blackbird1946
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of very good hotels but this is probably the very best ever. I was there for one week in Feb/March as a solo traveller. Very comfortable, well equipped room with balcony. The gardens, pools and outdoor areas are truly beautiful ,well tended, and of interest to gardeners the plants were labelled. The pools are attended by lifeguards and access was suitable for wheelchairs and the less mobile.
I was on a half board basis and the food was served by buffet. At first this can be daunting as particularly breakfast can be a bit frenetic but the staff are so helpful that it soon seems familiar.
The choice and quality of food at both breakfast and dinner was truly awesome, even the most picky amongst us could not fail to find something to their liking. Some dishes were outside my experience but the dining staff seemed delighted to tell you what the ingredients were and their country of origin.
The in house entertainment was good and there were quality 'sporty' opportunities available - a seemingly endless list, including diving. The holiday is suitable as an active experience but also provides for a quiet rest and relaxation in beautiful surroundings.
The hotels' over riding asset is the quality of their staff - they are helpful, kind and obviously trained. The common areas and rooms were very clean, and towels and bed linen changed without request.
I have rated the whole holiday as excellent, so good in fact that the first thing I did on return was to book a further three weeks later this year.

Room Tip: I would say get an individual taxi not the shuttle service as the transfers by shuttle can be a bit...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank mary c
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Myself and 2 friends stayed for a week in the hotel on a half board basis. We had booked it all through a travel agent in Ireland, Falcon Travel. The agent was great in passing on our request for a south facing room, and 2 rooms interconnecting, all of which we got! I have stayed in many good hotels both in Europe and the Far East and the Cordial Mogan is way up there. The staff are SO efficient, friendly and helpful and there seems to be a very high morale amongst them all. The rooms are very well appointed, and my only real moan would be about the dining room, it is a real nightmare at breakfast....I would suggest trying to go for an early one before 9am, because if you leave it till later, some things will have run out!
On the half board, we were able to get a voucher for lunch instead in the little dining room beside the pool, again, I would recommend this as a nice alternative to always having supper in the dining room. I would definitely go back, and very much hope to do so!

Room Tip: We asked for a South facing room, which is lovely for evening sunshine, and I would also ask for a h...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Veronica S
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Chose this hotel after extensive research into Gran Canaria, it just felt right. Prior to arrival I had e-mailed to ask for a high room overlooking the pool. Arrived at 7.20 pm after a longer than average trip from the airport, dropping off at about 15 hotels on the way. First tip invest in a private transfer which takes about 45 minutes.
We were greeted at reception by a happy, smiling lady who welcomed us with a glass of champagne. A good start got even better when she had our e-mail request in front of her and allocated just the room we asked for.
We asked for 2nd sitting at dinner, 1st is from 6 to 7.30 and second from 8.30 onwards. We were allocated a table but asked to change after the first night because of a draft from a nearby door. No problem at all.
The food at the hotel is excellent with plenty of variety, empty dishes were soon replenished and the variety is very good. One minor niggle, sometimes the food was a little on the cool side. However, there is a microwave and a short blast soon heats it up.
Breakfast can be a bit manic as no tables are allocated so you have to sort one out for yourself, however, empty tables become available all the time and are re-set quickly. We were not kept waiting at all.
There are two pool bars and one that serves a buffet lunch if required. Snacks are available at both bars.
Rooms are quite large and comfortably furnished, the bathroom needed a little tlc as some grouting needed replacing, minor problem. They are clean with change of linnen as needed.
The grounds of the hotel are extensive, beautiful, well maintained and contain two very large pools. Unfortunately the usual morons get up at 7am to get towels on chairs despite being asked in the room info not to do it. I do wish hotels would remove all towels on chairs before a certain time. Some were reserved at 7.30 and not occupied until the afternoon, completely selfish. There are plenty of beds so you can usually find one at one or other pool.
Staff at the hotel are brilliant, nothing is too much trouble and they are always smiling, suggesting a very happy team. Friday evening there is a Managers reception when all managers are present to talk to guests whilst enjoying a complimentary drink. In my experience few senior managers put their heads above the parrapit and expose themselves to the every day complaints of customers, these did and this showed how confident they are in the product they have.
The walk into the port/beach area takes about 5/7 minutes. It is a beautiful area with narrow streets, all pedestrianised, containing bars, shops and restaurants. Relax with a drink overlooking the sea. The whole sea front has the same mix of facilities. The beach is golden sand with both chairs/umbrellas and a large area if you want to sit on the sand.
Friday there is a huge market which takes over the whole of the village and is great for wandering through.
Having spoken to other visitors from other parts of the island who visited the village all agreed it was the most attractive village they visited, this was borne out for us whilst dropping off people at different hotels an our arrival.
All in all a great hotel with terrific service and good food. Relaxing and most enjoyable. Would we return? Most definately, Would we reccommend it to others? Most definately

Room Tip: Some rooms have no sun, so ask for a high sunny room if that is what you want, and they really try t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank bubbenhall_traveller
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is our second holiday at this hotel and we had a wonderful two weeks in February. Everything is just perfect - the rooms are comfortable and clean and the grounds and gardens are so quiet and beautifully maintained.The staff are all so very welcoming and helpful and nothing is too much trouble from senior management to junior waiters. Breakfasts can be a little overwhelming when everyone arrives at the same time and is trying to find a table, however a member of staff will soon help you out. We spent most of our days at the beach which is only 10 minutes walk along a very pleasant pedestrian area and were blessed with wall to wall sunshine every day which can't be bad!
We plan to return again next year.

2  Thank Paulinus_13
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We've just returned from another great week at the hotel during Feb half term . Can't really add anything new , would just wholeheartedly recommend !! Planning to return at new year - third visit in 22 months should say it all !!

Room Tip: We have an interconnecting suite( in the main blocks - only a handful I believe ) for 2 adults &...
4  Thank MrsOWestMids
Cala Blanca
#11 of 16 in Mogan
Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa
Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia

Been to Cordial Mogan Playa? Share your experiences!