“Outstanding Hotel”

Cordial Mogan Playa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Puerto de Mogan
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This four star plus hotel was one of the best hotels we've stayed in, on any of the Canary Islands over the last nine visits. Set in magnificent tropical gardens, it is surrounded by exotic trees, shrubs and flowers. There are three swimming pools - a little one for toddlers, and two spacious, heated pools. All are spotlessly clean and well maintained. There are lots of sun beds, and fresh towels are available whenever needed. The public areas of the hotel were very well maintained and had lots of seating.
The desk staff were very helpful and extremely friendly and even presented us with a glass of champagne on arrival.
We will definitely return this hotel.

3  Thank dunmanwayw0man

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I spent 3 nights in this hotel for a conference. The hotel itself is gorgeous, and it is a 5 minute walk to the beach.
It's more of a resort, with several beautiful pools and bars. The buffet is really very good, with almost any dish you can think of, so it's worth going half board.
The rooms are very clean, and we had a lovely terrace as well which wasn't overlooked.
The only drawback I can think of is a slightly unpleasant eggy (factory?) smell outside every once in a while.
Compared to other hotel locations on this part of the island, Puerto de Mogan is less built-up and much prettier than other ports or bay areas in the vicinity which tend to have massive sea-side hotels. The staff here are also very very helpful.
I would definitely return - well worth a visit!

Room Tip: 5317 has a big (and not overlooked) terrace compared to other rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank SeverineDavidson
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have just spent a week at this hotel and, can honestly say, that it was one of my more pleasant hotel experiences. The location is brilliant, the staff are genuinely friendly and helpful, the rooms spacious and the hotel has some spectacular features. Having 2 excellent outside swimming pools is a real bonus.The food was some of the best I have enjoyed in a hotel buffet context and nobody could possibly complain about the choice and quantity. Just 2 small things that marred the stay....Having travelled some 9 hours in total, and arrived at the check-in, exhausted, I wasn't best pleased to be given a 10 minute lecture on the dreaded swimming towel procedures, before I could go to my room! We were given a ticket and told in great detail, with diagrams for added emphasis, where and when we would be allowed to get our 2 (somewhat threadbare,thin) towels. We were waned, on pain of something - expulsion? - that these towels could only be exchanged once each morning and must be returned when we checked out. I really could have done without this lecture at check-in, when I felt least able to take it all in. You would have thought these towels had gold woven into them. Heads up guys - they aint all that! However, in reality, this towel OCD means firstly, that guests have to put up with damp towels for most of the day, if they wish to swim at all, and secondly, guests are expected to schlep said wet/damp towels BACK to their rooms at the end of the day because they can't be exchanged until certain very limited times and places. It's like a game of 'Hunt the Towels" - one minute they are there - under guard, of course - and gone the next. Very bizarre! I have never stayed in a hotel where one is unable to exchange pool towels and been expected to carry them to and from the room - wet. There are better methods - believe me. The other small, but irritating thing, was the hotel's policy of charging guests a few euros per day to use the room safe. Why? the safes are already in the rooms, they are a facility, not a luxury, surely? It's petty and totally unnecessary. Not good form for a 4*plus hotel. The towels and the safe are small niggles within the context of a lovely stay and I would love to see these policies changed! Maybe the next time I go back....please!

Room Tip: Although the ground floor rooms are handy for getting to and from the hotel facilities, the terraces...
5  Thank Wildhat
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Staff very responsive and changed our first room instantly, which we found dark, for one with sun. Facilities excellent and in a great location, walking distance to the harbour and restaurants. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis, having booked independently and my only criticism is that we found the breakfast buffet quite manic as so many people. However, the variety and quality of the food was good, apart from lukewarm water for the tea! The hotel grounds were pretty and well looked after and the central atrium area was lovely, particularly at night. Staff were all friendly. Internet connection was slow on their computers though. Very clean all over the hotel - staff constantly cleaning.

Room Tip: Ask for south facing for more sun.
2  Thank bevmu
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here twice now, first in 2011 and returned end of 2012. It's a large hotel complex, but in a great location (Puerto Mogan is a beautiful small harbour resort, with a lot of character, and is worlds apart from some of the frankly rather 'chavy' parts of Gran Can, if you catch my drift?). It's a multi European clientele generally, popular with French and Germans as well as Brits, which is a plus point for me personally. Rooms are pleasant and cleanliness is very high, staff are very friendly and helpful, and the food, which is buffet, is of a very good standard with a lot of choice. Some excellent restaurants in the harbour just a ten minute walk away too for a break from the hotel buffet should you fancy. A 'towels on all the good sun-loungers by 8am' culture is one of the only things that scores this otherwise cracking hotel down.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank markpogo
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We visited this hotel last April '12 and loved it. I worried a bit about going to Gran Canaria for Spring sun as I thought it may be um, how do I say this......overcrowded with English and loud. How wrong can I be. Puerto Mogan is a lovely little town, with lots of character. Hotel Mogan Playa is a well run hotel, with beautiful grounds. The best I have seen anywhere. We did have a room that was high up and facing the top pool near reception that received the evening sun. Lovely to come back and have a glass of wine sitting on the balcony before getting ready for the evening!
The reason for the late review is that we have booked again for this May '13 so I have been keeping an eye on the reviews. This is the first time ever in my travelling life that I have returned to the same hotel/place. So that says a lot about how much we enjoyed our visit.
The food......For the size of hotel, we were truly amazed at the fantastic standard and variety. For a buffet we thought it exceptional. In the best of restaurants, there will be something not liked. So if you want roast beef/turkey etc abroad, stay in England!
To sum up: Lovely hotel with good size, clean rooms. Smiley, helpful staff. Good food. Entertainment every night if you wish. An attractive resort a short walk away with good restaurants if you fancy a change of scenery. Local bus stop is not far for visiting other locations. (Is next to a little shop where you can buy the wine for the balcony!) After our visit in May I'll put another review on, from the comments I've seen I'm sure it will be just as good. No stars for the Spa, purely because we didn't go in there.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HappyandRelaxed62
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just spent a week at the Cordial Playa. The staff can't do enough for you, the restaurant and service were superb (although I do agree with a recent review regarding the luke warm coffee at breakfast) the entertainment was good, and the extensive gardens were beautifully kept. And as non-cat lovers, we were pleased to see that the two resident cats had their own feeding station and beds, so they didn't "pester" guests around the pool or bar area!
We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the sun in the late afternoon
4  Thank Graham E
Marina Suites
#2 of 67 in Puerto Rico
Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa
Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia

Been to Cordial Mogan Playa? Share your experiences!