“A talented chef”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
doncater
“A talented chef”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Decided to try the taster menu whilst staying in the hotel as it was an opportunity to be served a meal rather than queuing up for the buffet.
The chef claims to have worked with chefs from El Bulli so the meal was eagerly anticipated.
We found the wine list to be rather limited but not overly expensive. The wine waiter stated that there were additional wines not on the list but no further information was offered.
All the dishes served were cooked and presented very well although some of the taste combinations were a bit " off the wall" . Warm cheese with roasted red onion, tomatoes ,honey and banana is one that will take a while to forget . Scallops with creamed carrot and pineapple is another.
Overall the meal, ambience and service were very good and I would certainly recommend a visit if you are in the area.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank markY462

• Finnish first
Oslo
“Gourmet restaurant.”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Every year we have an evening at this nice restaurant with good friends.
The meal is superp and the service is first class.
We can recommend this place.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Superb food”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

When on holiday we don't normally go to same place twice to eat,( unless it's one of the rare 'all-inclusive' holidays), this restaurant changed the 'norm'. The food was excellent, the staff were first class, the second visit didn't disappoint - nuff said.

• Visited February 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Fine dining experience in a great hotel”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We've just returned from our second visit in as many years to this hotel located restaurant. The emphasis is on local sourced ingredients, freshly prepared to order and we were not disappointed.
Complimentary hot rolls with best quality oil and salt appeared with a glass of cava and a vegetable shot whilst we were waiting for our starter. This consisted of big scallops attractively garnished, the vegetables cooked to perfection. The roast lamb culotte main course was the most succulent I've had for a long time and the fresh fruit based puddings were also excellent. The waiter suggested a dry white wine from Fuerteventura which was just right. There is plenty of room between the tables, the service discreet yet attentive in attractive surroundings. Booking at least the day before is recommended (closed on sundays and mondays).
We'll go there next time!

Oslo, Norway
“Fresh and nice ingredients but lacks flavour, and fish was dry.”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

As guests at the wonderful Cordial Mogan Playa, we have been looking forward to eat at Los Guayres for several days. This is a fine dining restaurant and we dressed up and were excited. We got a table at the nice terrace, then recieved complementary cava, warm bread with oil, flake salt and olives, and a small shot of savory rasberry soup. All very tasty - a great start. The waiters were very friendly and attentive, and the atmosphere was cozy and elegant without getting too formal.

For starters I ordered pumpkin soup with scallops and my boyfriend ordered sherry marinated tuna carpaccio with dates. The dishes were nicely presented, and well crafted in terms of fresh ingredients with good textures. The scallops were tasty, the tuna had a good texture and the dates and sherry marinade was a nice touch. The soup lacked some taste, it was too subtly seasoned. I had three small flakes of salt left from my bread serving, which i put in my soup and stirred, and the flavours all came through much better. I am very careful with salt when I cook, and usually think people use way too much salt, so I think I can rightfully tell that this was very undersalted. My boyfriend also added his leftover salt flakes and told me that his dish also improved.

For mains my boyfriend had duck with orange sauce, and I had grilled cherne (a canarian white fish) with coriander sauce. My fish was unfortunately dry, which was very dissapointing. When I chewed, the fish stuck to my teeth and was difficult to swallow. (The fish I got at the buffet of Cordial Mogan Playa was a lot moister, flaking the way fish is supposed to.) Again the flavours were... underexaggerated. My sauce didn't taste coriander. It didn't taste much at all. But the duck was better than the fish, tender with nice texture with a sweet orange sauce, allthough it lacked some acidity and (again) salt. Overall my boyfriend got better dishes than I did, but he also thought they were a bit uninteresting and bland.

The dishes we had were quite filling, so since the food was a bit disappointing thus far, we dropped desserts, paid, and left, only one hour after arriving. We paid a total of 70 euros (we only had mineral water, no wine), which didn't feel like acceptable value. At the harbour of Puerto de Mogan we have had much better meals for less money, allthough not it an equally elegant environement. But the food is always most important. It is sad that a lack of seasoning, and a fish left too long at the grill should give us this impression of Los Guayres.