“Great family holiday”

Cordial Mogan Valle
Reviewed June 16, 2014

9 of us went for a family wedding. We had 1 double apartment and 2 singles nos 932, 933 and 935
The rooms were great, the hotel is very flexible. We went self catering and used the restaurant and pool bar. The choice was good and the food very good. The supermarket opposite stays open till 10pm and there's a spar grocer on the flat pedestrian walk down to the town. Some of the party ate in the town where there's loads of choice and a wide variety of prices. I must praise the staff. One of our party was in a wheelchair, nothing was too much for them. Hector on reception was fabulous to deal with.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor for the views of the sea
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Rob V

Reviewed June 15, 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel. The last stay was three years ago, and we were delighted to find that not much had changed. The apartment was spotless and really well equipped to self cater for a family. Everything you need is in very close proximity which makes for a stress free Holliday. I would highly recommend for a family holiday, we travelled with 2 small children and had a wonderful time. The only downside was a week went too quickly!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura S
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed at the apartments on a bed and breakfast basis for two weeks early May. We emailed beforehand to say we would like an apartment in block 6G (as recommended by a reviewer on Trip Advisor), as we like a quiet room. Thank you to 978christers for their recommendation because we were given room 601 and it was really quiet - the opposite end to the building work so we never noticed it. We also said we would prefer a soft bed so would appreciate mattress toppers and they were on the beds when we arrived. We had a huge balcony with sunloungers, table and chairs, an outdoor shower and a fantastic view of the volcanic mountains opposite. The apartment was spacious and clean with everything you could need for self catering with a pleasant living and dining area. There was ample wardrobe and drawer space too.

Breakfast was very good and catered for all tastes and nationalities. We liked the chill out bar and the infinity pool which was particularly warm when they were doing the building work for the last couple of days of our holiday.

There is an excellent supermarket opposite and a great Indian restaurant where we ate twice. I did find the walk down to the beach and harbour quite long. Some people say it's a 5 minute walk and others 20 minutes! I don't see how you can possibly do it in 5 minutes unless you run. It took me 15-20 minutes at an easy pace. We usually went there and back twice a day and my feet were hurting by the end of the holiday so we had to start getting taxis.

The hotel reception advertises dolphin and whale trips for a reasonable price. I can highly recommend going on one of these. Transport to Puerto Rico is extra but you are free to make your own way there. We were picked up at the apartments and driven to Puerto Rico harbour where we went on the El Trueque boat. There were only 8 passengers and 2 crew - the captain and a young man who did a fantastic job of looking after us all. We had a wonderful trip and saw lots of bottle nosed dolphins (including a baby one flying through the air) and some Brydes whales. These are huge but harmless to humans - a bit shy if anything. There are no refreshments included but you can buy snacks, soft drinks and ice cold beer on the boat for a reasonable price. After the trip the captain drove us back to the hotel.

Puerto Mogan is a very pretty place with a good beach and lots of lovely restaurants. The weather in early May is fantastic, although it is the quiet season for Gran Canaria so everyone seems to be tucked up in bed by 11.00 pm - including the owners of the restaurants. Go to the Cuba Libre bar for some late night drinks and music.

I think the apartments are probably more suited to families but if they make the infinity pool child free then it would certainly make the hotel more suitable for couples too.

Room Tip: Room 601 is in a very quiet position and is very spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MG_MH1
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I really want to give this hotel a good review but cant help to mention the small issue we had with rooms, when we arrived at 10pm we was greeted with a plate of cold salad and cobs as we had missed the buffet, we was put in a room on the ground floor and I straight away I asked to move to a room with a view, we was told we could move the following morning and should call down after breakfast. This we did and was told to go down to reception at 12 to collect our new room key, we collected our key and noticed our room was dirty and full of the previous guests rubbish so clearly hadn't been cleaned, when I called down to reception the lady I spoke to told me it had been cleaned and she we call me back, she called me back and again asked if I was sure it hadn't been cleaned which I found very patronising she said she was sorry and some cleaners would be at the room in 5 minutes to clean true to her word the cleaners arrived and cleaned the room for us. Other than the room issue we had a lovely holiday so relaxing the food was lovely lots of variety always found something I liked and I'm a fussy eater. 3 great pools we used the pool on the far left of the resort if your looking at the hotel, yes it was cold but once you was in you adjust to it and its fine, people use the pool to cool down and cant imagine it would be very nice warm. Rooms are very spacious good facilities in the room the only issue I had was the floor being dirty in the room could of done with a good mop and sweep. We had no issue with building noise as we at the other end of the resort. The town is lovely and the beach is a 5 minute walk away all very convenient. The hotel is great for families everything is done with kids in mind but as me and my partner don't have kids we would of benefited from a bar without kids as the evening bar was more of a place for all the kids to play and not really somewhere you can have a drink and relax, so we ended up buying alcohol from the supermarket and sitting on our balcony (lots of room). Very nice holiday once over the room issue will defiantly consider staying here again when I have a family.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank daniellelg1106
Reviewed June 12, 2014

we stayed at the Mogan Valle apts last June for 2 weeks and we enjoyed it so much we decided to return.
We stayed for 2 weeks from the 26th May and had a wonderful time, we were informed about the works being undertaken but as we were at the opposite side of the hotel, it was no problem for us.
Whilst at the hotel last year I injured my leg, a simple accident, and the manager and staff could not have been more helpful, so we e-mailed the manager direct about 6 weeks before we travelled, he replied immediately and and said if he could help us in any way he would. My son also told him that my husband was now just recovering from chemotherapy, and that both his dad and I would be celebrating birthdays whist we were in Gran Canaria, we asked if it was
possible for 2 rooms in the North side, in the 501 - 510's as we had friends travelling with us.
We arrived to a welcome from reception, who remembered us from the previous year, rooms as we requested with flowers, fruit, and wine.
We had birthday cakes with candles and singing and sparkling wine, the manager also took the time to help our son's arrange a birthday meal at La Bruschetta, overlooking the beach, it
was wonderful.
All the staff are special, Eugenio the Maitre de is a wonder, he remembers everyone and greets all his guests with handshakes hugs and kisses, and with high fives for the children, the chefs are all there with their ready smiles, to cook your eggs and omlettes to perfection xx to Maria, the waiters/waitresses,the room maids, the gardeners, reception, they all play their parts and greet you with a smile and a "hola".
Of course its not perfect, where is? we had 2 kettles that broke, it didn't spoil our holiday we just asked the room maid for a replacement, but the apartments are spacious, the linen is clean, the choice and quality of food is amazing, the gardens are beautiful, the pools are clean if a little chilly, so even though its classed as 3*** its certainly 6****** in heart..
So god willing if my husband is well enough to travel we will be back in September, for some more Cordial love, A BIG THANK YOU to all the Management and ALL the staff for helping to
make such a special holiday for us, and we promise there are no more birthdays or anniversaries in September lol.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank oscydosk
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This was our third stay at CMV and the first time we were disappointed. If we knew about the construction noise we would not have booked here (24 May-7 June). There was no information about this on their website at the time we booked. We felt like we payed for one thing, but received another. Our plan was to escape the construction noise outside our home in Norway!
One evening the pounding stopped at 19:20 and started up at 8:10 the next morning. We emailed a week before asking for a quiet room on a high floor, asking them to reply to confirm. They never responded. We called two days before leaving to ask again. The first room wasn't private (when sitting on the bed, I could make eye contact with people on two other balconies). We switched to another, but it was close to the bar and thus noisy at night and parts of the day from the children's play area. We gave up and accepted that some nights we just had to close the balcony doors or leave the hotel. We used to enjoy siting on the balcony with a glass of wine at night. Several nights were so loud from children in the neighboring rooms (slamming doors, throwing balls into our balcony, screeching and jumping on the sun chairs like trampolines). Thankfully everything calmed down after 23:15 when the balcony lights automatically turn off. We tried 2 of the 3 pools (cool temp). It would be nice if there was one pool that was 'adult only.' The infinity pool was often chock full of children.
The oddest thing happened the day before we left. We were out for most of the day and returned around 15:00, I was resting on the bed and my husband was changing clothes. My husband says there was a single door knock and a maid rushed in. My husband (dressed only in his underwear) said, "No, thank you" twice, but she ignored him and continued. With the commotion I woke up, put some clothes on and told her in Spanish that we were leaving in the morning and didn't want her to clean. She continued insisting we have fresh towels (for the last few hours of our stay). The maids must have seen everything since she was not bothered seeing two minimally dressed 40 year olds.
We still love Puerto Mogan: safe, quiet (away from CMV), great diving and good restaurants. We may return to Mogan in the autumn, but will probably stay at the apartments recommended by our diving guides. Can 100% recommend Gran Canaria Divers down by beach (Calle la Puntilla) they made our holiday.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will have a larger balcony and more sunshine, but possibly more stairs and lift transfe...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ontheroad5056
Cordial, Director General at Cordial Mogan Valle, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
We sincerely apologize, if in any way, we did not meet your expectations. We take all our guest comments very seriously as these help us to achieve the standards that we strive to please our treasured guests. Rest assured that actions will be taken.

Regarding the construction, we would like to inform you that the purpose to build the “Splashpark” is to be able to concentrate the fun zone for the kids in one area, so being able to convert the infinity pool in a “Quiet Area” for those guests like you that they prefer a more silent atmosphere.

We regret that those incidents had affected on the overall assessment of your holiday experience and we are looking forward to serve you again in the future.

Any other comments or suggestions you may have will be appreciated. We remain at all times at your service.

Sincerely yours,

The Management

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband and three year old son for the first week of June. We were located in the middle just above the infinity pool which was easy to find and the apartment fairly basic but very spacious and clean. The resort has a small soft play area at the main bar area which my little one loved. The bar was more of a central gathering point for families in the evening than a place to relax and unwind. Children's mini disco a hit but otherwise there was not a great deal going on. The mini club is away from the main pool areas on it's own. The north and south pools are freezing. The south pool has a bar the north one has nothing close by. Infinity pool the warmest by far. Food was excellent - we went half board and paid 20€ each for drinks with our evening meals for the week as an upgrade this included a bottle of wine of white AND red if you chose each and soft drinks for little one. Good value for money as a glass of wine each and a soft drink was 15€. I didn't use spa but it's advertised all round resort and I have still to see the entrance door to it.... Everything is tucked round corners on different floors at different ends of the resort. The management need to address the provision of a logical map of the resort. The laundrette was a nightmare to find - floor 2 at lift 11 for north laundry 4€ for a service wash and 3€ for dryer. The mogan resort at the marina is beautiful. It's a bit rough round the edges in places with a haphazard mix of high end shops and tat shops. Shopping centre opposite is only around 40% utilised with nearly the entire top floor empty. It's a bit sad and run down if you look closely. Supermarket opposite the apartments is ideally located and has most things. Spar further down is larger and stocks a bigger selection of fresh food. Lots of options for food and drinks at the marina. Market day Friday was a let down - lots of tat/ fakes with the odd decent stall. Not many genuine bargains to be had that I could see. I do think we got value for money by booking direct with the apartments but I think I'll pay the extra for more amenities elsewhere in future. They are building a new splash park where the tennis courts were at the moment so perhaps this will help to add interest. It is decent but not excellent....

Stayed: June 2014
Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel
Marina Suites
Marina Suites
#2 of 68 in Puerto Rico

Been to Cordial Mogan Valle? Share your experiences!