“basic accomadation”

Oasis Studios & Apartments
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Tigaki
Reviewed August 4, 2013

we stayed here for 8 nights on 27th july 2013. There was myself and my husband and our 15 year old daughter. We arrived at 1.30am and there was no one about for a good 5 mins then an older guy appeared and said we could park the car in the hotel grounds for now but it had to be parked outside the hotel. when we came down in the morning there was note on it about not parking there. We were showed to our room was was clean and tidy. in the morning we opened our balcony door to see the view which was amazing we were looking over the mountains and the fields with the local cows and cockerals, when we looked out the front door we had fantastic views over the salt lake and the sea and it was brill for watching the sunset. we had room 31 on the third floor.
the hotel has a lovely pool and they are very proud of it and there was an older guy sat by the gate telling every one to shower before entering the pool.
the hotel is out the way so very quiet and we never saw more than 6 people round the pool or in the bar . we just used it as a base but it is set at the end of a dirt track and there is no lights in places so we used a torch.but its only a 5min walk to the main street.
in the hotel room i agree with the review about the towels being a bit grubby and the sheets were not the best but we did have them changed twice and every day the room was cleaned but only the bear min.the shower is more like a wet room as the shower curtain does not reach the floor and the water is every where , could have done with a mop and bucket.we only used the spoons and bowls for cereal but gave them a wash before hand . most things in the cupboard were abit yellow and old and we also had 3 of everything, also you need to buy your own toilet roll.we rented the air con and a saftey dep box for 51 euros.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the top floors for a brill view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank YorkshireBadger
There are newer reviews for Oasis Studios & Apartments

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have just returned after spending a great week in Kos at the Oasis apartments. Firstly I have to comment on some previous reviews where its mentioned that the staff are very rude and unhelpful... this couldn't be further from what we found.... given that the staff only speak limited English, some confusion may be expected, but we found everyone there extremely friendly and more than helpful. Arriving in the early hours of them morning we were met by an older gentleman who was efficient in helping us to our room and sorting the air con out. Equally, Ellani (sorry if spelling is wrong) the lady on reception was bubbly and always greeted us with a "good morning" and a smile.... always remember..... you only get out of people what you put in.....

Besides all that, the room was basic but clean. We had a balcony that looked out towards the farming area, where there were goats, cows, chickens etc.... to the front of the room you could see the salt lake which was beautiful at sunset. Mosquitos enjoyed me, but not excessively about 10 bites, so not so bad.

The town of Tigaki is quite busy, has lots of restaurants and bars and quite a few small supermarkets. Short of nothing really. We ventured out over the island as we hired a car and managed to cover most of it in three days! Sunset from the village of Zia was fabulous and is a must if you can get there.

Kos town is the happening place, much busier than the other resorts and has a harbour where the boats go for the day trips to Turkey and Rhodes etc.... The Kous Kous cafe in the centre of the town was a great place. Spyros is such a character and we visited quite often for our iced green tea and country style sandwich!!

All in all a very relaxing holiday, not so sure we would return, but only because we have seen the island now and would prefer to venture to a new place.

I would note that the equipment in the rooms is minimum. You need to purchase washing liquid, cloths, t-towel etc... only 3 of everything i.e spoons, forks and knives, cups and glasses.

The pool was excellent, couldn't fault it at all, spotless.

Room Tip: Air con is extra, but definitely a must. Kitchen utensils are minimum so perhaps useful to bring you...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnneMed
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed here for 10 nights and was fully prepared for poor accommodation based on previous reviews, however I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel.

The rooms were quite grim, had to ask for clean bedding and towels but the beds were comfy and after I scrubbed the Kitchenette myself i was happy enough to cook my lunches in there. Be advised you need to buy your own washing up liquid and cloths etc...

Mozzies were a major problem for me. within the first 4 days I had counted over 100 bites, they must love my sweet blood?! Don't bother buying the expensive sprays from the shops, just use cheap old vinegar. One of my fellow guests told me it works a treat and for 40 cents I thought why not give it a try? It was great no more mozzie bites for me, it doesn't smell, trust me you'll need be dousing yourself in the stuff staying so close to the salt lake.

I did all of my socialising around the wonderful pool. I had the best times during my holiday just plotted up on one of the many available sunbeds talking to the other guests. By the end of the holiday we had all got to know each other and had eaten out together or met at mickeys bar for games of pool and bottles of cider :)

The hotel itself was basic, a bit grubby but nothing a little washing up liquid can't handle. The pool is beautiful - Second to none.

My holiday was made great by the people I met at the oasis, so I'd like to thank igor, hillsborough, Amanda, jess, Mildred and George, jonny bravo, the Cambride pool champion and his lovely wife oh and miss OCD... There's always one in every crowd though, so be wary of 'p.bob' haha!

Thanks to the oasis crew and all who stayed during early July!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Theo_saville
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Firstly I would like to say that we have stayed in Tigaki for 4 years in a row now and it is a beautiful place. Having stayed there so many times now, we naturally expect that all self catering accommodation is basic but have always found our accommodation to be clean. However, our room at the Oasis Studios and Apartments was filthy and I think that it is important that people are made aware of what they could be spending their hard earned money on. During our entire 2 week holiday, our bedding and towels were changed only twice!! The first change was after 7 days when I asked the lady on reception for a change. The second change was after 12 days when I had to ask again! And on both occasions the reception lady argued with me because I wanted clean sheets and towels. Personally, I think after 7 and 12 days I wasn't asking for very much. Upon receiving 'clean' bedding, we received sheets that had big yellow stains all over them and holes in them and the 'clean' towels had brown and black marks all over them (please see the photos we have attached). The little kitchenette area and all equipment was so filthy that we had to buy new glasses to drink out of and didn't dare attempt to cook anything. The tiles around the cooker and sink were so splashed with cooking fat that had been there so long it had turned yellow and gone hard (again, please see photos attached). Basic is fine, but dirty is unacceptable. Upon doing a room inspection, the holiday rep had to cover his mouth to prevent him gipping! Having not had any hot water for the first 2 days of our holiday, we even had to ask for hot water! The 3 older men that run the hotel were so rude and always claimed they did not understand what you were asking and tried to pass the buck to somebody else. In contrast, the pool area was clean and the hotel was ideally located. That wasn't enough to compensate for the filthy room though. Upon speaking to other guests there, lack of room cleanliness seemed common, but at least we didn't have problems with cockroaches in our room like the couple in the room directly below us. Love Tigaki and will be back again, but not to this place. Please please be aware of what you may be going to if you chose this accommodation.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just come back from a week here with my 10 year old daughter and had a great time, Friendly staff, spotlessly clean pool, free sunbeds, quiet location. Room was big but bathroom very small and basic but I believe that can be the norm for Greece. Good location for the town centre yet wonderfully quiet at night. Rooms overlooked the salt marshes which were a little smelly but not off putting. Maid service each day except sunday. Bedding was just a sheet but it was so damned hot, it was all that was required. Take a kettle if you like a morning cuppa, I took a £5 Asda smart price one. Cooking facilities were just a two ring hob and i didnt use it. Fridge was old but cold and clean. There was aircon available if you wanted t pay and likewise for safety deposit boxes which were 15 Euros a week. No problem with mosqitos, took a plug in anti mosi thing, sprayed Jungle formula spray on and took a vitamin B supplement. Three bites in a week, all on the last night! Given the chance, I would go back. Had a really lovely holiday.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank LCT2705
Reviewed June 27, 2013

just spent a great week at the oasis nice and quite , clean and nice apartments great balcony,always lots of sun beds fee ,great views and reasonable prices at the bar and good food
five minutes walk to town and lovely beach , would say again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank stackerman
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Myself and my partner spent two lovely and relaxing weeks at the Oasis apartments.Despite all the negative comments that were made in earlier reviews we found it was a very good hotel.The three brothers that run the place were very pleasant and helpful as was the lady in reception. The rooms were cleaned every day except Sunday and the sheets and towels were changed twice a week.

The views were fantastic,especially of the Sun setting over the salt lake and islands. The town is only five minutes walk (take something for the animals as you pass them, and don't forget Kipsos the donkey who likes digestive biscuits). Tim the Olympic Rep was excellent and very knowledgeable about the resort and island. The pool and garden are lovely and are well maintained.

The only down side is the lack of kitchen equipment. We took our own glasses, mugs and a travel electric kettle. (Take these in your hand luggage, as we saw how they handled the cases at the airport).The safe deposit boxes were expensive - 30 euro for the two weeks.

This holiday was very good value for money and we would definately recommend it for a relaxing time.

Room Tip: The views are even better from the top floors.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple