“2 weeks at a German hotel !”
Review of Hotel Corali

Hotel Corali
Ranked #2 of 6 Tigaki B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Holiday booked on the low cost holiday website, We arrived late on a thursday evening and checked in to our rooms which were clean and tidy, we were then told that the starlight bar had some salads for us and a drink which was a nice touch. The Following morning we had a explore around the grounds which are nicely kept and checked out the two pools both are clean and well kept the old story with the towels on the sun loungers still exists here even though it states you cannot reserve !  We then went for breakfast  0700 to 0930 there is a good range of food but quality not very high, the hot food is normally German frankfurters and scrambled eggs which vary daily in taste ,boiled eggs and some strange baked beans are also available 3 out of 10. Lunch is served 1230 to 1400 and is very average with salad and a few main dishes normally German or Greek no puddings though just melon. 3out of 10 , The all inclusive beer is Magnus magister and is ok brewed on Rhodes in a German filtration way ! . Evening meal is served 1900 to 2130 and it states no shorts to be worn at the front door in English but not in German as they all seem to wear shorts ! The salad bar started off ok but seems to get weirder everyday with different mixtures, the main courses are very central European with stews and lots of meat with some not so nice Greek attempts thrown in aswell overall i would give dinner 5 out of 10 ! Also coffee and tea not available after breakfast unless you pay !  For the rest of the hotel the shop is ok for basics and not a bad price , the reception has a post box and everything else is in German on the info boards  etc so not much use ,there is also a lack of leaflets for days out ! Evenings in the starlight bar r ok not much entertainment for children though, drinks for all inclusive are beer,ouzo, brandy, red and white wine and soft drinks. On our last day it was agreed we could have a room until 6pm instead of 1200 as we had a late flight and we never got there until late we asked how much and they said no probs as we arrived late but on departure they decided to charge 20 euros this seems to happen alot in Greece on various things not very honest !. Overall the hotel is very average  clean and tidy but caters solely for the German Holidaymaker !

• Stayed: August 2012
7  Thank Salisburydan

Reviewed September 8, 2011

Just got back from a great holiday.Yes we were the only English people there,so what.It is a German hotel,but its so lovely the acomodation is the best i have ever stayed in.Its spotlessly clean and the staff speak fine English.The grounds and settings are breathtaking.We would go back again without a doubt.It makes a change to get away from moaning Brits, lol.....and for the record not a single sun bed was taken by a towel !!!! Thanx for a lovely holiday and Tingaki ......stunning.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank loorrane
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Nice hotel with many flavours and palms. The staff spoke only german and poor english. But for my knowledge of english languge, enough good. Everyhing is written in german. Which is normal, because guests are mostly germans. The hotel is placed 2km from organized beach, where you can get bar, toilet or shop. Hotel is placed in the middle of fields, there is no lights by the road.

The room was clean, with view on pool. Every dan (exept sunday) they change towels and bedding. There is also fridge and a SAT TV with 8 canals, mostly germans. But they haven't "do not disturb" sign for the doors. So, one time the cleaner came into the room, when i was showering!

The food is very good. We had half board. This is enough, exept if you are planning to stay in hotel whole holiday. They serveral types of food, including greek food.

It is nice hotel, but too far from the beach. I wouldn't come back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank kalinda22
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We booked a week All Inclusive but were very disappointed by the Corali Hotel's version of "All Inclusive". The hotel itself, rooms, restaurant, pool areas were kept spotless and could not fault them for that.
On reflection, after reading other reviews, all written in German, should have realised that this was a German holiday hotel and when mixing with locals in Tingaki and surrounding areas, were most surprised that we were booked in there. The staff spoke little English, only Greek and German. The most friendliest member of staff was the gardener who was always smiling and chatty!
I have been on many holidays to many countries and I must say this holiday was the first time I felt unwelcome. I think the ultimate insult was the lack of a British Flag outside, quite pointedly, when the rest of the hotels locally proudly flew all the flags.
There was NO evening entertainment at all. Music from a stereo in the Starlight Bar and repeat German football matches on the wide screen TV. All inclusive drinks were, Ouzo, Beer, Wine or Brandy. Diet coke or coke were not available all inclusive and bottled water also was charged for.
The food in the restaurant...... mainly Greek and German. All labels describing food were in German. Not good for people without a varied palate! Again, Germans were allowed to reserve tables in advance and on many occasions, we were turned away from the restaurant until late when most food had gone and they were close to closing.
All in all, I feel I paid alot of money for an All Inclusive holiday which was very disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Shell_in_Kent
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Although we were the only English people in a hotel that was mostly German, we had a most enjoyable holiday.
The service was outstanding from the manager to the ladies on reception to the restuarant & bar staff and the room service. It was never too much trouble to do anything for you.
Our appartment was excellent and was always clean and tidy.
The location was about a 5 min walk to the beach.
An excellent idea is to hire a bicycle from the hotel and use this to get about, to different parts of the beach or Kos town about 30 mins away.
The cuisine was a more continental flavour with a leaning towards German and Greek, this was of good quality and there was always a good selection. I am sure that if more English people were to go to this hotel then the the management would change the menu accordingly.
All round this was a most enjoyable holiday destination which we would most certainly go again.
Tony & Judith Campton.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank campton1945
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We booked TIGAKI CORALI HOTEL **** for our stay in June 2009 (18th to 25th). We travelled in three adults accompanied by two children (2,5 years and 1 year old). We booked the stay through CEDOK travel agent based in the Czech republic.

Package as booked:
Flight to Kos and return to Prague
Transfer from the airport in Kos to Corali hotel and return
2 double rooms with two baby beds
All inclusive

OUR STORY:
We arrived to the hotel late around midnight. The gate and area in front of the hotel looked fantastic. Nice combination of lights, very well maintained garden. Huge area for bus to turn around and whole complex locked by a nice fence with a big gate. The first look was really a pleasent surprise.

We were helped by the rep from Cedok to check in as the guy at the reception did not speak English and we were too tired to recover our German knowledge. I did not realize by then how much I would miss knowing German better.

We were invited to the star light bar at the top of the building where we were given the cold dinner plate as we missed our dinner. As it was a welcome for us, I did expect a lot better. It was extremely distasteful and ugly. Mix of thick meet and half rotten, half frozen vegetables...

After we quickly finished the addible part of our meal, we moved to our rooms. We were provided rooms 105 and 106. The rooms were the worst I have ever seen. Honestly. Only worst place I could compare it to is hotel Koruna in Prague. Very simple wooden furniture, cheap white (almost grey) tiles over all room (from balcny to bathroom the same), one pink wall the rest in white, extremely small bathroom with very old and rusty taps, dirty floor and so on. The safe hung on the wall right behind the door and did not better impression of the room. Holes and scratches on the walls with one painting were also surprising in a four stars hotel. Aircondition remote control did not work so I had to go to change batteries. There was also a fridge in the room which was noisy and old. I am not mentioning it was meant to be a minibar, but was totally empty (apart from two glasses).

We paid extra 150 euro per person for all inclusive (including the little boy - 2.5years) and expected that we will have fresh watter on our room which is normally standard when you pay all inclusive (as far as I know). There is none and there is no way for the hotel to handle it. You have two options: buy water in market or go to starlight bar which is open from 18:00 to 23:00. The waiters after some comments are able to fill up your baby bottles with fresh water.

After terrible night in the studio located just by the road I started to regain what I booked. The Cedok representative was unable and unwilling to help therefor I sorted our everything myself. It cost me 160 euro extra though. We moved to better part of the hotel. The apartments. This is my most important tip: Do not dare to book in studios and make sure you will get the apartment. The studios are crap. The apartments are spacious, clean, nicely furbished and somehow reach the 3 - 4 stars standards.

We got apartments 809 and 810. Next to each other, ground floor (due to the kids). Both same. The apartment consists of bed room, livingroom, kitchenette and bathroom. Both rooms have an access to the terrace which is spacious and have a little table with four chairs.

ROOM SERVICE
Room service is provided daily except Sundays. The cleaning lady was the most sympathetic from all the staff. Clean towels are provided daily. There are no bath robes, which we did not need, but I realize that some people may be interested in knowing this.
Room service is excellent. They clean everything and never touched our personal stuff.

DINING:
As I mentioned earlier we paid the all inclusive. At this hotel it basically means breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack at the pool bar (16:00 - 17:00). Soft drinks, ouzo, beer, red and white wine and local cognac (not too bad) available all day at the pool bar or starlight bar (after 18:00). YOU DO NOT GET COFFEE OR TEA!!! It is only available at breakfast and snack break (16:00 - 17:00). The food is repetious and 7 days were far too long not to get fed up with it.

All is buffet type.

BREAKFAST:
7:00 - 9:30
Coffee, tea, milk, orange and apple juice (instant drink not fruit juice), hot water
Cereals - 6 - 8 different cereals and flakes - all very cheap ( I consider myself a cereal expert :-D)
Dried plums, peaches, bananas, white greek yoghurt, fruit salad (pears + some unidentified fruits - quite nice though), other fruits (ananas, pears). THERE IS NOT FRESH FRUITS, except of cut orange which was sometimes obviously not 100% fresh. It was edible, but it was not pleasure to eat it. One expects a lot bigger choice of fresh fruit in Greece.
From hot meals there were eggs, another eggs, bacon, sometimes sausages (few times very fat ones), beans with tomatoes.
Few breads (white and dark typical Greek), salami, cheese. Especially the salami was really poor one. Our son loves cheese and several times he was unable to eat the breakfast cheese as it had almost no fat and thus did not taste like cheese at all.

LUNCH
12:00 - 14:00 (I am not 100% sure, but guess so)
No soup!!!
Several main dishes usually very tasty. However one would expect more different meals.
No fresh fruits.

All inclusive guests get served just once during their lunch, so I ordered double drinks at first so we did not have to bother about chasing the waiter. Apart from waiter service lunches were tasteful and filling.

SNACK AT THE POOL:
16:00 - 17:00
You get three types of ice cream (selfserved so you can get as much as you like) vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. All nice. It is the only time when you can get free coffee or tea (in your all inclusive). The coffee is terrible, but with enough milk, one can enjoy it. There is also a nice cake served. Everyday different. Especially our children liked the snack at the pool.

DINNER
A big surprise was that they do not allow you to the restaurant in short trousers (applies only for men). As I went on summer holiday (temperatures over 25 degress in shades) I did not bring long trousers. I tried to walk in in shorts and fortunatelly did not have problems. Probably because of our complain on the first night.

Dinners are the top from the hotel offer. There is a variety of hot dishes, even some fresh fruits (usually the similiar orange as the morning and water melon or sugar lemon). One soup and 3 - 4 desserts. Ice cream was available every second evening.

Some of the evenings are special e.g. Greek, fish, meet etc.

Again the all inclusive guests get served drinks only once and it is better to order enough on the first order otherwise you will end up chasing the waiters around...

Sometimes at dinner the red wine was not drinkable. Beer could never be faulted and we enjoyed it.

STAR LIGHT BAR:
18:00 - 23:00
I do not ike animation programmes so I did my best not to attend it.

As all inclusive drinks are very limited and not very tasteful. The bar is self served when you are all inclusive. If you pay some of the non-standard drinks you get served. Welcome to the **** stars. I wonder what word the stars stay for :-D

The waiters at the star light bar are not kind and helpful. I found them very arrogant and ignorant. The music they played was however good and volume was just right.

We tried following coctails: Cuba Libre, Mojito, Bloody Mary (imageine the waiter did not know how to prepare it X-)) ). All were different than what we are used to, but were ok. The bloody mary missed the vodka though. Drinks at the bar are expensive. E.g. each coctail was 5.50 Euro. the size and quality did not correspond with the price.

POOL
8:00 - 20:00
There are two pools, one near the studios and one near the apartments. The one near studios offer the animation programme so I missed it. Also I found the baby pool dangerous there. The pool in general was clean a looked nice. We stayed by the apartments pool all the time and it was excellent for adults as well as for the small children.

BILLIARD (SNOOKER) - there is a small table available at the star light and pool bar, it is the usual side activity table. Do not expect any good one.
TABLE TENIS - very crap table and net, it was windy so we did not try
TENIS - unplayable due to the heat even in the evenings

CHILDREN
our small children enjoyed the stay very much. Spent most time in the pool and near it. I guess that coming with teenagers they would die of boredom... There is not much to do.

BEACH
Beach is about 10 minutes walk from the hotel. There are no side walks!!! The beach is poor and dirty. Access to the sea is nice, but the beach is next to the busy road so you do not enjoy it. Sunbeds cost around 3 euro.

LOCATION OF THE HOTEL CORALI
the hotel is located between side road and a few farms. One farm grows cattle so some of the hotel parts can be smelly when there is the bad wind.

There is one minimarket right next to the hotel where you can buy water, sun glasses and couple of other usual things. About ten minutes walk is a bigger supermarket which is about 20% cheaper. The best super market we found in Tigaki is about 25 minutes walk (once you discover the back route - turn right from the hotel, go to the first stop sign and take right again. Then continue without turning until you reach the Tigaki city. On your right side about 250 metres walk there is the Konstantidis supermarket). You can buy everything here for another 20% better rates. There are parfumes, clothes, souvenirs, food, drinks, everything. Locals come to shop here as well. CREDIT CARDS ARE ACCEPTED at this store.

INTERNET ACCESS:
There are two public computers at the hotel lobby. One hour costs 4 euro and it is possible to store your minutes for next time. Which means that you get an ID tag and until you deplete all 60 minutes you can login and use internet. Do remember to log out when you are finished otherwise you will through your minutes away.

One computer has LCD screen 16 inches, the other is CRT 14 inches (obsolete and painful work with it, your eyes hurt very much after 60 minutes working on it). The mice are ball ones, not optic and it is real pain to work with it. The computer with LCD screen has Greek keyboard and as long as you are not able to write without looking at the keyboard, do not even sit there... The CRT one has regular keyboard. If you plan to spend couple of hours working, be prepared for though job. Otherwise it is better than nothing. Hotel does not allow to connect your own PC. Wifi access unavailable. Czech vodafone GPRS signal not available. Tmobile and O2 worked fine.

STAFF:
Most staff speak German. With only English life is more difficult. I was not pleased by the waiters, and especially the attitude to the all inclusive guests. A few of the receptionists were totally arogant and laughed at me when I came up to complain about something (eg fresh water in the room). Receptionist Irene was helpful. Staff in general do not smile. I know it costs a lot of pain to give someone a smile... Fortuntalely we did not need to use the staff assistance much and therefor except of the waiters I do not complain. As I said the cleaing lady was great. Smiled everytime even on long distance :D

TIGAKI:
The town Tigaki is about 25 minutes walk from the hotel. There is no side walk, however there is this back route described above. A taxi cost 6 euro one way. There are no public lights on the way, so if you walk by dark, rather spend 6 euro and get a taxi. (It should cost 2 Euro as it is 2 kms, but you know taxi drivers ... X-D). We did not try other ways of transport. We only hired a car and drove on our own and hired a taxi twice to take as from the town back to the hotel. Village is very small and there are plenty of bars and restaurants. We tried the MENI Bar which was excellent.

RESUME
We had nice holiday after all, but we had better. Honestly I would not come back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
20  Thank smartin
Reviewed November 2, 2017 via mobile

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tigaki
2 mi away
#17 of 48 in Kos Town
Hotel Atlantis
Hotel Atlantis
#12 of 48 in Kos Town

Been to Hotel Corali? Share your experiences!