“Just what you want in a real local restaurant overlooking the water”
Review of Island View

Island View
Ranked #38 of 132 Restaurants in Cabo Rojo
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Joyuda Beach is a small community at the southwestern end of the island. And while it is a full day, it is still possible to drive around Puerto Rico in a day. Joyuda Beach makes for a great place to stop for a late lunch, and Island View is just the kind of restaurant you want to sit outside, under the covered patio, and stare at the waves lapping against the restaurant, and have seafood mofungo, served in the traditional wooden cup/bowl. Friendly staff complete the experience. Have a very laid back experience.

1  Thank Mike S

Reviewed February 25, 2012

My wife and I travel around the world and love to try new foods and restaurants. We have been to Puerto Rico several times and always dine at least once in Cabo Rojo. Generally at the Gatito. But we wanted to try something new. Bad move. Horrendous food, dirty restaurant and the worst drinks we have ever had. I had the Mofongo relleno, with shrimp, and my wife had a pechuga al ajillo. Both of us where sick to our stomachs and the other couple that was with us didn't enjoy their meal either. Nothing was fresh. One positive note if you sit outside beautiful view. But the view isn't worth the price and the bad food.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

Family owned restaurant, good food, good service, very good price. Recommended by local people. Keep the good work Carlos, Tony and Yara

Reviewed July 10, 2010

Island View is located next to the ocean in a "fisherman town". The town is famous for it's seafood. You will find many restaurants on the same road, but I always come here. Parking is not a problem and is free. Don't expect fine dining here. The place is run by friendly and attentive staff. There is indoor seating with air conditioning and a balcony/patio on the back overlooking "Isla de Ratones" a small island used many years ago for skeet shooting now a national "mini" park. When eating at the patio look at the ocean, you may see an occasional Tarpon swimming by in crystal clear water. Take your time reading the menu, plenty of choices. For appetizers I recommend "empanadillas de chapin" a fried turnover filled with delicious fish. I often order the seafood rice, with nice chunks of lobster, shrimp, octopus and such. Try the mofongo if it's available, a staple in Puertorrican cuisine. Overall, expect a delicious meal on a casual tropical environment at an affordable price. I went with a friend and didn't spend more than $45 with tip. This is a place I will recommend to Anthony Bourdain!

1  Thank Adventurous_Palate
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I was driving along the coast and there were so many options for restaurants - so I just figured I liked the name 'Island View'. Well, when I went inside I was greeted by a really nice gentleman and apparently, this was a family business with the brother, father and mother in tow - all very nice and welcoming. And, the name well it's because from the back dining deck (where I sat) you have the most perfect view of 'Isla De Ratones', the food was good, the family was warm and the sunset spectacular!!!! I'll definitely be back.