“Beautiful and romantic”

Grand Bahi-a Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Cabo Rojo
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

What a charming hotel!. Very tropical and romantic and its very close to a goregous blue pristine beach. Also the cliffs near by are stunning! Food is excellent bit pricey though but worth every penny.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank anapr1

Reviewed June 16, 2014

my family was in need of a get away just the 4 of us and ended up in this hotel. At first i wasnt happy with some details like the "beach", some tear up furniture, and the undered staff. every thing changed when Angel the owner informed us of the renovations! Angel make sure my dad (handycap) had a great time! breakfast and dinner is included and the food was amazing (i work in a hotel in condado so im very demanding) the staff like Osvaldo and Joel from the restaurant, Jose the handyman the girls in front desk and the housekippers where very friendly. i know the hotel need aome repairs in some details fot the better of them but overall im gonna go more often just cause its the perfect spot for a getaway!!

thanks for everything!!!
Carmelo, Sandra, Sandra, Karla from trujillo alto :)

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank SandyJan88
Reviewed May 17, 2014

The Bahia Salinas is set up all along the Caribbean shore, so it starts off with the fresh scent of the perfect blue Caribbean Sea as a backdrop. They are mangroves and it's a little icky to swim - in fact you sink up to your knees but the Bahia has gorgeous infinity pools scattered around with lounge chairs. The salt flats are near by as well as a nature preserve and a beach where you can take long walks to the lighthouse. The restaurant is wonderful, the service was excellent - the staff is professional - friendly, helpful and the servings generous fresh and beautiful. The morning buffet was great, hot, lots of coffee and fruits. Off season the place feels like it's yours. My only discomfort was the room. You had to have air conditioning on - the pests didn't allow for open windows and it was too warm for that anyway, and although I felt it was like sleeping in a cement bunker and didn't sleep, I would go back in a heartbeat and probably opt for a second story room with ceiling fan and blast the buggers out. This probably wouldn't bother most people and the place is very tranquil, beautiful and the staff top notch. Our meals were average restaurant price, a little on the high side but for the quality and variety well worth it. In spite of the feeling of being in a cement bunker at night, I love this place.

Room Tip: If you prefer open windows and don't like being hermetically sealed, the second story rooms have...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Marlene S
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Pros:
1. Dinner and Breakfast that were included in room cost were descent.
2. Kayaks were available to rent onsite (For $15/hr extra charge)
3. Rooms were clean, Bathrooms need major renovations.
4. Not too far of a drive to the lighthouse (only attraction around)
Cons:
1. Very High security which makes it very inconvenient if you want to enter your “Resort” after 8 PM. (No Guests ALLOWED at any time of the day)
2. Was not allowed to bring luggage cart out to my car to retrieve suitcases.
3. NO COOLERS… even though there was no refrigerator in room.
4. Staff does not maintain poolside furniture. (Tears and rips in lounging furniture)
5. Beach maximum of 2 ft. deep… Not swimmable.
6. $25 EXTRA charge if you do not turn off your room lights and AC when you leave the room.
7. Restaurant was open air which was hot and no fans, lots of small mosquitos that bite.
8. Bar was not open a lot of the times we went up to get drinks. (Place seems under staffed)
9. Very secluded from everything (nothing to do in the evening as the pool closes at 7PM!)

For the cost of the room I was expecting A LOT more. We were thoroughly disappointed with our stay. I would not recommend any travelers to stay here. Keep searching for another place to stay as this place is NO RESORT…

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank FLWorldTravelers
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We happened to find this hotel after a full day in Playa Sucia (one of the best beaches in the main land, if not the best). We just needed a place to crash for the night and leave next day so I had no expectations at all. I was delightfully surprised when we passed the check in area and found a hidden paradise in the middle of nowhere. Clean and warm infinity pool overlooking the Caribbean Sea, flowers and coconut palms in every corner, sun beds, canopy beds and lounge chairs everywhere. We witnessed a beautiful sunset from the pool and thought that this is a great place for couples to retreat from routine. Very romantic, especially at night when you can lay down on one of the lounge chairs right on the beach and watch the stars. Lots of mosquitos on the evening/night due to the nature of hotel's location. Bring Off! and problem solved.

We were 3 ppl and room was spacious for all of us. It was not fancy, luxurious or cozy, just sufficient for it's purpose. Here is where I think the hotel should make improvements. I don't think the rooms keep up with the beauty of the hotel grounds (at least our room). They can have better amenities, decor, illumination, overall make them more appealing. The price for one night was not exhorbitant but when you pay over $150 you expect good amenities and a room that invites you to stay in at least. Granted, the room, bathroom and towels were clean; bed was comfortable (Queen size) but I am not sure if I would pay 2+ nights for that room. Maybe they have better rooms, I like to give the benefit of the doubt!

Full breakfast buffet was included in the price (all you can eat). I am not picky with food so I enjoyed my breakfast very much. Scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, waffles, bread, cereal, fruits, coffee, tea and orange juice. They also make omelettes for an extra price ($5 I think). The view from the breakfast terrace is beautiful and is a nice add-on to the experience. Restaurant and bar close strictly at 8. Can't comment on food and beverage as I didn't try either of them but the Piña Colada my friend ordered was tasty. Reception will give you good recommendations of where to eat and what to do in town. Kayak and bike rentals are available for a very reasonable price. They have Spa services for a reasonable price as well but it will depend on therapist avaialbility.

I found the staff to be more prompt and diligent rather than nice. They don't exactly go out of their way to cater all your needs so if you're one of those people that require tons of attention and royalty treatment I recommend you to book somewhere else. Yes, they have school-like rules like returning the control remote at check out or not going to the parking lot with the pool towels but I understand businesses need to keep track of their inventory. Would you let people take stuff that belong to your house?

I wouldn't choose Bahia Beach Resort for a 2+ nights stay unless I make sure I have a very nice cozy room that invites me to stay and sleep in there. Grounds, breakfast and location are the best this hotel offers in my opinion. If you're laid back and don't mind about top notch service or how your room looks then go for it and book this little gem now.

Room Tip: Rooms have no fridge which can be a downer if you're staying for more than one night. We didn...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank LylyM_13
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Great location, awesome beach...
The management is short on staff, that leads them to be slow on service and also tend to be angry and not so friendly. Maintenance is not as good so there are a couple of broken things. Facilities are nice but they need remodeling. You also can't stay after you check out or you will be charged extra for using the facilities. The new administration turned the place unappealing, cause I visited a while and service used to be decent

Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Eljoch2
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I been going to Cabo Rojo for years 8 times, twice this year, new owner is a thief! he charged my credit card after leaving $25 for AC use! unheard of! also $26 for a check that was paid for in cash at the restaurant! some belonging went missing during my stay!
the bed had hair and brown stains all over the covers and sheets it was disgusting!
consider staying at Combate resort which is few miles away and right on the beach.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Villa Cofresi Hotel
#1 of 7 in Rincon
Parador Villa Parguera

Been to Grand Bahi-a Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!