“Quiet location - glorious sunset”

Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Taverham
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Highlight was a window seat in the restaurant with a view of the beautiful valley and an amazing sunset as a backdrop! The staff were friendly and the menu choice extensive. We enjoyed our meal and the relaxing atmosphere. We had a swim and the facilities were clean. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Breakfast was good but coffee a disappointment.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked a courtyard. If you want a view you'll have to pay more.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club

Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have been organising a Golf society event here at the beginning of October for the last 8 years and Wensum Valley G&CC in my opinion cannot be beaten for value anywhere.
Accomodation is always clean and comfortble, the food is always very good and plenty of it if you have carvery. The bar is is comfortable and with a very friendly atmosphere. Spa always very relaxing
If you are into your golf the two courses on site are excellent.
The Valley course being great, if like myself, you are not a regular golfer.The Wensum course is a great test for the competent golfer but still has something to offer for the high handicapper.
Both courses are a pleasure to play as the scenery and setting on both is lovely added to the fact they are always both in great condition.
All the staff including those on the golf side are extremely pleasant helpful and accommodating, cannot wait for our trip again this year.
Well worth a visit for golf or pleasure

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This hotel is a bit of a little gem. Staff are friendly and helpful. Beds were comfortable and the room was huge for a standard double! The food at the bar was fantastic! We ate breakfast and dinner for two days and had trouble deciding what to have as the choice was so good. We made good use of the pool and gym both of which were clean and pleasant to use. Yes the rooms are dated in their decor as is most of the hotel however this was not something that bothered us. If you are worried about appearance then this is not the hotel for you however if you want some RR in a clean comfortable well facilitated hotel with great food then this will suit you down to the ground as it did us.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed here as a little treat to myself. Having read the blurb, the idea was that I went for a lovely country walk then used the leisure facilities, followed by a meal in the 'friendly' bar. Well two out of three ain't bad.

Despite their boasting of walks along the river, there is no information on how to get there across the golf course in any of the literature in the room. So I went to reception, and was told to ask in the golf shop. So I did. I was told "I wish reception would stop making out this is a nice little country retreat. This is a working golf course. You need to follow that track by the sheds, at the bottom of the hill you turn right, and then walk along a bit and then I think you turn right again. When you come out of the trees you need to treat it like a main road, and look both ways. If you hear someone shout 'fore' you need to crouch down and cover your head with your arms. And it's up to you to look out for your own safety".

Scared the, well you know what, out of me. So I did walk down to the bottom of the hill. But to be honest I was so busy worrying about golf balls I walked back to the hotel. Where I used the pool and hot tub, which were both fantastic.

Later I had a, very nice and reasonably priced, meal in the bar and I saw the chap from the golf shop in there. He asked "did you get to the river"? I said no. You scared the life out of me. "Just telling you the truth" he told me. So I told him, I will come back. And will do the walk. But next time I'll bring a tin hat with me!

But moving on. The room was lovely, and I had a fantastic view of the valley. Though I could see a lot of the rooms don't. The receptionist was friendly and professional, and the bar staff were great. I was a lone lady, and not bothered by that, but the bar staff really made an effort to make sure I was ok and enjoying my, very tasty, meal.

I'd quite happily go back. My only gripe is that the website 'sells' you country walks. But in truth they don't really want you to do it. It's really aimed at golfers and people who like looking at the countryside through a window.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Debs M
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed here for just one night with friends for a silver wedding function and enjoyed it very much. Room was very large, clean and comfy. Bathroom was quite adequate, maybe needs brighter lighting and another shelf for wash bags. The evening function food was excellent, and the breakfast very pleasant - plenty of choice. Staff were pleasant enough on Reception, and very helpful elsewhere. The pool was great, can't comment on the gym as we didn't use it, but these facilities are shared with the Leisure Centre facilities so can be quite busy. Would stay here again if we wanted to stay over when in this area.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed for one night with our 4 year old and the hotel staff were amazing! EVERY single person we met was friendly, welcome and particularly accommodating with our little girl. She was allowed to dance to the band who were warming up for a party that night (we were the only ones in the restaurant but still!). She never received a glare or second glance as she bopped away. She was given colouring in and a lovely meal and drink.

The room was HUGE! She had a single bed while we had the biggest double bed I've ever seen! There was a little TV area with a sofa and a massive walk in shower. The room was a little dated decor wise but absolutely immaculate and comfortable.

The pool was lovely but the changing area was freezing even before we'd got changed or wet and the jacuzzi area was a little mouldy but this would be the only fault I could find if really pushed.

Breakfast was perfect and good portions with fast service.

Would stay here again at the drop of a hat.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel, food very good and bar and restaurant staff were very attentive. Room was huge, and well appointed, although the shower head was broken which was reported on the first night but still not fixed by our departure. I think the reception staff could learn a lot from their colleagues in the bar and restaurant. All in all a good weekend. My rating would have been excellent for service if it were not for the lack of attention paid by the reception staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taverham
Dunston Hall
#2 of 7 in Cromer
Beechwood Hotel
Beechwood Hotel
#1 of 2 in North Walsham

Been to Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!