“Ramblers Waterhole”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Prestwick, United Kingdom
“Ramblers Waterhole”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

After our Rambling Group walk we had lunch in the Hungry Monk. The restaurant is lovely inside, very warm and welcoming. The group (5) on the whole thought the carvery meal was very good, the other two myself and wife thought it was OK, but quite expensive for what we had. As a walking group we will possibly return again but personally I don't think I would go back.

• Visited January 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Used to be great but standards have dropped”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

For many years now my family and I have enjoyed visits to The Hungry Monk (and all Cawley restaurants). The food has been consistently good and kept us coming back time and again. It has been the restaurant of choice for many family celebrations despite being more expensive than other similar establishments.

I am sad to say that this is no longer the case and over our past two or three visits I have been disapppointed in the drop in quality of the food on offer. I appreciate that there is a recession and restaurants are having to make savings but to charge top dollar for poor quality food is not the way forward.

We will be going elsewhere in future .....

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Ian538
scotland
“The Hungry Monk, Lochwinnoch”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have passed this restaurant many, many times over the years when driving from Irvine to Glasgow, but never stopped to eat. We did so tonight on our way home tonight with my elderly mother and my sister's mother-in-law, we ALL thoroughly enjoyed the meal, the decor of the restaurant and the staff were very helpful. I had the chicken burger, which was huge, served on ciabatti roll, with onion rings, pot of coleslaw and home made chips served in a basked. My partner had the steak pie with chips and veg, he enjoyed the steak pie, plenty of meat and very tender. My mother and my sister's mother-in-law both had the small plate from the carvery, each had a slice of pork, slice of ham and a slice of turkey, and helped themselves to the potatoes and veg, plenty to choose from and both surprised us by eating everything on their plates. The entrance to the restaurant is clean and tidy, and the decor fresh and clean inside. we didn't know what to expect as we hadn't visited before, but would most definitely visit again soon - well done to the Hungry Monk.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank robertandanne60
paisley
“Nice Place with Some Considerate Staff”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I asked for a non alcoholic drink called Peartise. (Which is just like Appletise only made with pears instead of apples.) This seemed to confuse the barman who offered a selection of ciders and then beers explaining that all cider is alcoholic, which I knew. After a few minutes I conceded defeat and asked for a diet coke which I got. When my friend arrived carrying a huge bouquet of flowers for my birthday our server offered to put them in a bucket of water which was very much appreciated because it was a beautifully sunny day. (Thank you.) We ordered our meals and they did not disappoint both were tasty and good value. We were allowed to take our time which was nice.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank nonny192
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good - could be better”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Food was quite good, and the service was friendly. Only downside; expensive drinks and unclean toilets.

Visited October 2012