“A beautiful place”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halfmoon Bay
San Francisco
“A beautiful place”
Reviewed January 15, 2007

We stayed in the tents here over the summer and were just enchanted. They are beautifully appointed and have awesome rain-showerheads and an incredible spa tub. You could spend days just sitting on the deck looking out over the strait. I definitely didn't want to leave.

Our only complaint was that one of the women who works at the front desk (*not* the owner's wife, who was very gracious) was so rude--to us personally and, we observed, to other guests. Our dealings with her were slim, fortunately, so it didn't color our whole stay, and the rest of the staff were just great--especially the restaurant servers!

If we lived a bit closer, we would definitely get away to this place often, it's just so beautiful.

• Stayed July 2006
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Roadsie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
tennessee
Reviewed August 29, 2006

We stayed in one of the new "tents" at Rockwater. This is the place to stay in Halfmoon Bay! The tents are located on the rocks overlooking the bay. Needless to say, the view is fantastic, especially at sunset. This is the only way to go when staying in a tent. We had a king size bed with feather comforter, a shower, bathroom and an unbelievable jacuzzi soaker tub, fireplace and a large deck with wicker furniture. The floors were stone and we also had a ceiling fan. Almost everything, including the soaker jacuzzi, is remote controlled. The staff were friendly and the restaurant was excellent. We rented a kayak, located right at the resort. You'll need a car so you can drive along the coastline, see the scenery and the small towns. This is a place to relax - hike, kayak, fish.
I've read the other reviewers concerning the rooms at this resort. Hopefully, they will be updating them soon so that they match those fantastic tents!
NOTE: The wood walkway to the tents is very long. It wanders through the beautiful trees and is very romantic at night. However, dragging luggage over that long walkway is a chore. Pack light or if you have a lot of luggage, let staff take it to your tent.

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank tutravelers
Vancouver
Reviewed July 18, 2006

The newly opened tent style cottages are wondrous. Remotes control imaginative lighting, a fireplace, and a super jacuzzi tub. There is a private furnished deck overlooking the ocean. The plumbing and all other details have been well thought out. The bed was the best I have ever had in a hotel. The floor is even heated which will indicate to you the care that has gone into designing these buildings. The walk through the forest is also beautiful. The scenery is unsurpassed. I would love to be there in a rain or windstorm. I did not want to check out in the morning!

• Stayed July 2006
6 Thank Marydele
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2006

This was a great place... I stayed there for a confrence and it was lovely. It has recently changed owners and they are doing a fabluas job. They are building Zen Tents, which are amazing with soaker tub, fireplace, and slate floors. I stayed at one of the cabins which was nice. Each room comes with a mini fridge, kettle, coffee machine, tv, some rooms have DVDs.
My recomondation is to take some of the teas from the Food area because the teas offered in the room are Red Rose and English Breakfast. We went swimming, and some swam in the ocean. I had a "bliss massage" which you go to a gazebo and have a massage on the shore.

There is a Kayak rental and lesson shack next door which you can rent from. There is a vollyball court, and horse shoes. The new owner is making the place great and it is on a beautiful private cove.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank travel_BC_gal
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed June 19, 2006

Recently stayed 2 nights at the Rockwater Secret Cove Resort near Halfmoon Bay on the Sunshine Coast (a 40 min. ferry ride + 45 min. drive from Vancouver B.C.). The stylish, contemporary website and brochure attracted me to try out the resort, but left me a little cautious, as there were no clear descriptions of the rooms and hotel amenities.

The front desk service was friendly but not very professional. I was not clearly advised of all of the facilities available at the hotel, check out time etc.

Upon arriving to my Ocean View Room, I was overcome by the musty smell of old carpet and curtains. The room decor and smell were definitely not in tune with the contemporary look/feel of the marketing done by the resort (formerly the Lord Jim's Resort). After leaving the windows open for a full day, the smell was more bearable, or I had just gotten used to it. The balcony outside the room (facing the ocean) is actually a long balcony, accessible by all of the rooms on the same floor, which made me nervous about the security and the fact that anybody could just walk right past my room and look in (so I had to keep the curtains closed for most of the time, when I had wanted to enjoy the ocean view...). There was also no information about the resort services, inside the room, so I didn't know if the restaurant was open for lunch, or what kind of services were available to guests, when check out time was, etc. Also no phones in the rooms, so I couldn't call the Front Desk to ask for details either!

Continental breakfast (croissants, muffins, cereals, yogurt, fruit salad), included in the room rate, is served from 8-11, and dinner seems to be very popular with locals and visitors staying in nearby B&Bs (reservations are a must!). Enjoyed a dinner at the restaurant -- service was sketchy and the menu was limited, but the food was good, leaving me to hope that the resort would catch up to this standard!

There is an outdoor heated pool, which is located right underneath the restaurant window! Unnerving to both sunbather and diner, I'm sure!

The location overlooking a cove, is the best thing about the resort. The view of the islands across the water is beautiful, and tranquil, and there are chairs (albeit plastic) available to enjoy the scenery on the resort grounds.

If this resort updates the guest rooms with new carpet, curtains and bedcovers, and improves their service I will return, because the location is beautiful, and it is a very close convenient getaway for someone based out of Vancouver. The price is also reasonable, for what you get, and it includes Continental Breakfast.

Upon checkout, nobody asked me about my stay nor was I given the opportunity to make any suggestions for improvement... Next time I feel like visiting the area again, I will definitely call back and ask if any renovations have been made, and if they have, I'll be back.

12 Thank yvrmimi
Backeddy Resort & Marina
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
#1 of 1 in Halfmoon Bay

Been to Rockwater Secret Cove Resort? Share your experiences!