“Beautiful area, just beware of mosquitos”

Rockwater Secret Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halfmoon Bay
Vancouver Island
“Beautiful area, just beware of mosquitos”
Reviewed September 20, 2009

When we arrived we were not given the best service by the staff. We had to ask for help to bring all of our wedding gear up to our tenthouse. Although, our bell boy was very helpful. The tent houses are amazing, just be sure to close your doors before all the mosquitos get in. I was covered in bug bites the next day for my wedding ceremony! Our friends stayed in the resort and the rooms were very basic and in my opinion overpriced.
We really enjoyed the view for our balcony, the tub for two and the heated floors. We wouldn't ming coming back to relax for a week during the winter in one of the tenthouses. Nice place to just sit back and read a good book.
We ate at the restaurant both nights. Make sure you have reservations as the staff doesn't seem to appreciate unexpected guests. The dinner was good, but again overpriced. Also, there is not a lot to choose from. Our morning and evening staff were much more delightful than the first night!
One last word of advise, if you plan on doing a massage, make sure you have time to shower afterwards. I had to go straight from getting a massage to getting my hair done for my wedding. No time to shower and I felt oily all day. I never really thought about it when they recommended I have my massage the day of the wedding because it would relax me...not so much!
Overall, beautiful location! We couldn't have asked for a pretty spot, but it is a little overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Vancouver
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We attended a wedding at the Rockwater Resort and booked a room for ourselves and a 3 bedroom cabin for our extended family 3 months in advance. Rockwater's policy is to charge for your room at the time of booking. When we arrived we were told that the resort was full and they offered accommodation 10 minutes away. We refused to accept their offer as we were attending a wedding. Our room was a large one bedroom suite overlooking the pool. I stayed here 25 years ago when the resort was called Lord Jim's - it hasn't changed much - definitely hasn't been updated. The 3 bedroom cabin with one very small bathroom was "rustic" at best. The mattresses in the cabin were so worn you could lose yourself in them. Needless to say that if you didn't have back problems before you slept on these mattresses you most likely would after sleeping on them. On a positive note the setting is exceptional and the food at the wedding was very good. We'd recommend a lunch or late afternoon cocktails as the view is worth the visit. We wouldn't recommend staying here as it is terribly over priced. They are charging 5 star prices for 2 star (at best) rooms.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank YVRTraveller2010
North Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed September 16, 2009

I gave a trip to Rockwater as a gift for my brother and sister-in-law's 60th birthdays. They took their close friends and each had their own tent suite. I was fretting and worrying, hoping that everything would be perfect, but all for nothing. They had a first-class experience, golfing on excellent courses, eating fabulous food, choosing from an exensive and impressive wine list, and enjoying the ocean view from their tents that included radiant floor heating, claw foot tubs overlooking the water, comfy beds and every single amenity a guest could possibly want. The gift basket with wine, cheese and fruit that I had preordered was a welcome touch and turned out to be exactly what I'd hoped. My family and their friends loved their unique gift at a place that my brother said "thought of everything," and they couldn't thank me enough. They even had time for a fishing charter with an excellent guide. Don't waste a second thinking about booking a trip to Rockwater. Just do it. You'll be so glad that you did.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Whistler
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Took the ferry from Hourseshoe Bay, recommend you make a booking at holiday weekends. trip took forty minutes. After a fortyfive minute drive along the coast line we took the exit for Rockwater which was well sign posted.
The entrance of the resort reflects the name Secret Cove as it gives nothing up until you reach the main building, even then the view is protected.
After easily parking the car we entered to check in, we were welcomed by the view of the cove and warmly greeted by the receptionist.
Check in was smooth and we were walked to our tent, in the loose sense of the word, along the broadwalk, our attentsion was drawn to the scenery.
Once we got to our tent and entered our first reaction was 'wow', it had all the mod cons, and our private deck was facing the sea.
Service was friendly and efficient, food was good.
We had a great stay enjoying RockWater's tranquility.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Edmonton
Reviewed September 10, 2009

From the minute we checked in to the minute we left it was absolute perfection. There is something that is wonderfully quaint and peaceful about Rockwater. It has all the amenities of a high end resort without the attitude. It feels like you step back in time to when things were simpler...and better.
The tenthouses are beautiful but so are the rooms in the lodge.
The food is as exceptional as the view.
If you are lucky you might be able to be a spectator at one of the many weddings they host.
Make sure you go kayaking it is an experience you will never forget. Another unforgettable experience is couples massage in the tent by the water. Too good to be true.
We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
edmonton
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Surprised my wife of 17 years, with a trip to Rockwater and a stay in the 'tenthouse" Now that is my type of camping! The room was totally luxuirous, the bed, the shower, but the attention to detail and how well everything fit not only the decor within the room itself, but the tenthouse really fit with the landscape and enviroment around. The deck is phenomenal, the view, watching the sunset, with a nice bottle of wine, and your spouse beside, you perfect.
We left our room to go for dinner, and what a great meal. Small resorts can sometimes suffer from doing one thing well, and not the others, but at Rcokwater that have got it! The halibut with risotto, and the boulibasse were great, nice and fresh, and the service was truly personal.
For that great little get away, this is the perfect place! Since being back I have recommended the Rockwater to friends, and family , and look forward to our next stay. And because of the Rockwater, I think my wife will keep my for at least another year.

Brad

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Washougal, Wa
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Tired of hotels and resorts that dont live up to their websites and pictures? The Rockwater Secret Cove Resort is the exception to this apparent advertising rule. Every part of the resort was well represented by the website, and offered stunning view after stunning view.
My partner and I went to the Rockwater on their elopement package and were married on the deck of our tenthouse. From the warm reception, to the "we'll take care of everything" attitude of everyone we encountered, it was the perfect location for our private ceremony. (We saw at least 2 other weddings while we were there, it is also a great venue for larger weddings.)
The service was top notch, no request was too trivial or too much to ask. Our room attendant took the time to get to know us and what we appreciated, and we left feeling like we had made a friend.
The tenthouse suites are unbelievable, so rustic and back to nature, yet filled with amenities that make you want to stay forever. Heated slate floors, gas fireplace, huge spa tub, candles everywhere, and falling asleep to the sounds of the waves on the rocks. It all adds up to the most romantic trip we've ever had. Factor in the seals splashing in the bay and the deer making their way along the rocky shore, and it was a slice of heaven.
Here is a tip to new guests: close the french doors by about 5pm each evening to avoid unwanted mosquito guests in the room. But bring repellant just in case you cant bring yourself to close the doors.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Gibsons
West Coast Wilderness Lodge
Backeddy Resort & Marina
Pender Harbour Resort & Marina

Been to Rockwater Secret Cove Resort? Share your experiences!