“Well worth the memories!”

Rockwater Secret Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halfmoon Bay
Calgary, Canada
“Well worth the memories!”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I attended a friends wedding and its was a beautiful location for a wedding, a very romantic setting. Everything was excellent from the service, the great food and beautiful scenery. The rooms over look the water and I enjoyed sitting on the deck in the morning having my coffee. The tents are so beautiful and ideal for a nice romantic get away.

Pricing was fair but I didn't get an opportunity to use the spa but those who did said it was wonderful.

Room Tip: I had a room on the second floor and it was quiet and I had a great view of the ocean. Bathrooms ar...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharon L
Dikran Z, General Manager at Rockwater Secret Cove Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Sharon L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience at Rockwater Resort and Spa with all on line readers.

We look forward to be at your service again in the future.

Dikran Zabunyan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Alberta
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The location is beautiful as is the scenery and views of the ocean. We came for an elopement, and feel the package price is a little high for the value we received. If you are considering the elopement package, get a breakdown of the pricing in order to make the best decision possible. The boardwalk out to the tent houses is spectacular, but over a 5 minute walk to the furthest ones, so get help with your luggage from the staff. Also, although incredibly well appointed, keep in mind that these are still tents. If it rains you will be kept awake, and you can hear your neighbours, so they can also hear you! Staff are very friendly and generally accommodating.

Room Tip: Tenthouse 60 is right on the ocean and probably one of the most private, but the deck felt too small...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Ron D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review pertaining to your recent stay at Rockwater Resort and Spa.

I was delighted to hear that you found our staff to be extremely helpful and accomodating.

After reading your comments about Our Elopment Package although very comparable to other resorts in British Columbia, we have decided to review it in order to make it more structured.

We wish you all the very best and hope to see you at Rockwater again in the future.

Woodview, Ontario
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Beautiful location & the tent rooms are lovely. Especially good for a large group occupying the whole resort. The food is excellent & the spa staff are great as well. The BC ferry ride adds to the experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dikran Z, General Manager at Rockwater Secret Cove Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Nancy M.

Thank you very much for the kind review pertaining to your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you found our food and our spa staff to be excellent. Our location is also second to none on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia.

We certainly hope to see you here again in the future.

Greeley, Colorado
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Rockwater is a nice resort if you are looking at taking advantage of their spa and assortment of activities otherwise it is overpriced. The service at the hotel is great but the older cabins are somewhat dated. We didn't stay in one of the newer tent rooms that appear to be nicer as they were already booked.

We had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant and were somewhat disappointed. The view and ambiance was great but the food was below what we had experienced at other establishments on our boat trip on the Sunshine Coast.

Room Tip: The older cabins are somewhat dated and have very small showers. These rooms do have great views tho...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dikran Z, General Manager at Rockwater Secret Cove Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank You very much for your candid review of our services here at The Rockwater Resort and Spa.

I have noted your dissapointment in regards to our food served during breakfast as well as dinner and advised our Chef the same.

Please accept our apologies for our shortcomings and we are hoping that you will provides with an opportunity to make amends in the future.

All the very best.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in one of the tents and had a fabulous time. It was our last vacation before having our first child and was appropriate - we spent a lot of time together. It's the kind of place where you can spend a lot of time on the porch or in your room and feel great about it. Only complaint would be that we could hear sounds from other tents.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You very much for your kind review pertaining to your stay at The Rockwater Resort and Spa.

We wish you all the very best and much health as well as happiness with the arrival of your first child.

Our team looks forward to your return.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Let me start by saying that I have been looking at staying at Rockwater for years. It was love at first sight when I stumbled onto this place and when my fifth anniversary came up earlier this year, I decided it was finally time to take the plunge.

My cousin and his girlfriend, who have lived in the midwest their whole lives, happened to be in Seattle at the same time so we invited them on our trip so they could see beautiful Canada.

We shared a two bedroom cabin the first night. The cabins are cute, but definitely not luxurious, and only a few have a good view (ours did not). It was still a close walk to the water and we enjoyed our time outside taking in the sights. We had dinner at the resort that night - everyone enjoyed their meals, but I found my (I believe it was) crusted halibut lacking. As a pacific northwest resident, I was expecting something incredible and found it to be bland.

The next morning we went and had breakfast at the resort. It was delicious, but unfortunately later in the day my cousin's girlfriend started to feel ill. Then my cousin, then my boyfriend, and then finally me. We all had what we believe to have been some type of food poisoning and as we all ate a benedict of sorts, we guess it was from the poached egg or hollandaise. Once we knew it wasn't isolated to just 2 in our party, we let the front desk know that we were all feeling ill and that they should contact the kitchen. The person at the front desk (we stopped by in person) didn't really have much of a reaction, which was odd. We weren't asking for any type of comp at the time, just wanted to make sure they were aware of the issue.

This is where things got a little more odd. We got a check up call from the front desk (yay! the proper response) to make sure we didn't need medical care, which we confirmed we did not. Then they repeatedly asked if we wanted to have any food delivered or eat at the restaurant for free. I don't think that is an appropriate thing to offer to someone who has expressed that they feel the food at your restaurant may be tainted. If I were to accept any type of comp, make it some kind of discount on our rooms, kayak rental the next day… something else, instead of trying to pigeonhole us into eating your food again.

Anyway, that night we split up and my cousin/his girlfriend went into a one bedroom cabin, and my boyfriend and I had a tenthouse suite with a spectacular view. It was stunning and just as wonderful as the pictures and reviews make it out to be. My only gripe was that the bedding did not appear to be completely clean - I kept finding long hairs in the sheets, but having already lodged one complaint (and I HATE complaining), I just decided to take in the awesome room. The jacuzzi tub even had colored lights that would sequence if you turned them on.

That night we invited my cousin and his girlfriend to stop by the tent for a friendly game of cards. I had read reviews that sound carries easily between the tents, and this is when we found out how much of a problem this was. We had music playing in the tent on the speakers provided, but not to full blast, and we received our first noise complaint a little after 9pm. Apparently they had set up a regular visitor (a single woman) in a tent right next to ours - please note that this was in the middle of the week so there were multiple empty tents. We were happy to turn off the music at this time and proceeded with playing cards at a normal talking volume. Apparently this was not acceptable and we received another noise complaint shortly after and had to send my cousin/his girlfriend back to their cabin. So much for that - we expressed our frustrations with the front desk while on the phone, but again did not get much reaction.

Thankfully my boyfriend and I were able to turn the evening around and had a great time just the two of us. Then the final odd thing happened when we were checking out... we told the front desk that we were disappointed again that we were unable to have a normal conversation in our tent before 10pm. At that point we were told that they comp-ed the other woman's breakfast to make up for HER inconvenience. WHY would you tell us this? I work in customer service and I couldn’t wrap my head around this. No discount or breakfast offer (which we would have obviously declined as noted above) was made to us.

I waited a while to write this review because I wanted to spend some time reflecting on the trip and see if my opinion changed after I had some time to cool off. While I am still beyond impressed with the location and tent suites (besides the slight cleanliness issue), I would not recommend this to younger couples (we are late twenties/early thirties) looking for a getaway. It is quite the investment and I left disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask to see the map of tenthouse suites when reserving so you can see the location; you will have to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xfgilly
Dikran Z, General Manager at Rockwater Secret Cove Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank You very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor pertaining to your recent stay at The Rockwater Resort and Spa.

Although I was delighted to hear that you found our Tent House Suites to be incredible but was very dissapointed to read about your comments about our amenities and service deliveries overall.

Please accept our sincere apologies for our shortcomings and rest assured that all the items which you specified were highlighted during our recent staff meeting to ensure from repeating themselves in the future.

We are hoping that you will overlook our shortcomings and provide us with a chance to make amends in the future. Please contact me directly with your reservation request so that I can ensure you a wonderful stay with us more in line with our high service standards..

I look forward to hearing from you.

General Manager .
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 10, 2013

In July 2013 we stayed for 3 nights in a Tent Suite. We booked the Rockwater Summer Adventure Package. Overall we enjoyed our stay and had a great time.

Highlights:
- Loved the beautiful location!
- Ivan and the rest of the front desk staff were super friendly and helpful and even offered helpful information and suggestions for activities and restaurants.
- The tent was wonderful! We enjoyed food, wine and beautiful sunsets each night on our deck.
- Kayaking around the coastline was a fun experience! The box lunch was delicious, and the scenery was beautiful.
- Our couples massage was very relaxing and enjoyable down by the water.
- Loved having breakfast and dinner delivered to our tent!

Suggestions:
- the Rockwater restaurant and food was only okay. The restaurant should be more private, some tables feel like you are sitting in the lobby while other guests check-in.
- the wireless internet needs to be improved. Or there should be a comfortable seating area in the main building, 2 chairs between the front door and the front desk are not inviting.
- the location of the swimming pool makes it undesirable to swim since it is positioned right under the restaurant windows

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dikran Z, General Manager at Rockwater Secret Cove Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Stefanie N,

Thank you very much for the candid remarks, observations and feedback pertaining to your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to hear that you had a great stay at The Rockwater Resort and Spa.

Our team looks forward to being at your service again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Halfmoon Bay
#1 of 3 in Gibsons
West Coast Wilderness Lodge
Backeddy Resort & Marina
Pender Harbour Resort & Marina

Been to Rockwater Secret Cove Resort? Share your experiences!