“Great idea, but clumsy execution”

Rockwater Secret Cove Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halfmoon Bay
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in a tenthouse suite. Some elements were lovely - the tent was comfortable and fairly well appointed, but we had a few issues that made our stay less than spectacular.

We were made to sign an agreement upon check-in which detailed the policy demanding a 10pm quiet time - this sounded great to us, as we are staying in a tent after all, and the goal of our weekend was romantic bliss and relaxation. Unfortunately, this policy apparently doesn't apply to all guests.

We were rudely awakened on our 2nd night by blasting music in a nearby tent. Calling the front desk repeatedly was useless - nobody answered the phone. Nor did anyone answer the "emergency line" phone number we were provided. So instead I got out of bed, dressed and walked through the night to the front desk. Where I discovered nobody was present.

I walked back to my tent - encountering an angry neighbour who was also being disturbed by the miniature dance club party in the nearby tent. We both expressed our annoyance, shared some dark humor and returned to our tents. I considered banging on the door of the danceclub tent, but I don't consider a confrontation with another guest to be high on my 'must-do' list.

After about a half hour of waiting, we received a call from a hotel attendant apologizing for the noise and explaining that she'd personally come down to solve the dilemma. Meanwhile, a call was placed to the danceclub tent, which silenced the music but apparently infuriated the guests within - my fiance and I could hear every angry expletive and curse being shouted from within, and eventually from outside, of the offending tent.

Hotel staff arrived - there was some laughter, an angry bride-to-be cursing about our complaints, and eventually a reasonable degree of quiet, once the group had vented their frustrations and explained what villains we were for wanting some quiet during the night. Finally, the music was lowered, but we got to enjoy listening to the tent's loud conversation and laughter until the wee hours of the morning. Staff never approached our tent to check on us, and we were never spoken to of the incident again. We did not appreciate being made feel that we were being unreasonable with our request for quiet - especially with the specific noise policy being pointed out earlier during our check in. We felt as though the money we spent for a romantic weekend wasn't equal to the money spent by this bride to be - and so we should've just shut up and suffered in silence.

The 3rd night, the tub in our room malfunctioned. The lights in the tub, while interesting and fun during a bath, are quite annoying when they decide to flash on and off at random hours throughout the night. And of course, calling the front desk again had no effect as nobody answered the phone. Should I call the emergency line because my tub is throwing a disco party? Perhaps, perhaps not. Eventually I managed to pile enough miscellaneous junk into the tub that the lights were sufficiently covered so we could enjoy sleep once again.

The restaurant serves excellent fare, and we enjoyed dinner on our deck rather than in the lodge, which I highly recommend doing - the view from the tents is far superior to that of the dining room.

Staff are generally attentive and friendly. Andrea was especially friendly, which was appreciated.

The location is stunning - renting kayaks and exploring the area is not to be missed.

At the end of the tip, we enjoyed ourselves but felt the money spent should've ensured a more consistent experience. Some of the small fees bothered me - spending more than $400 a night, but asking for a crummy toothbrush is a $5 charge? We also tipped the server each time we ordered room service - up until the last day, when Andrea informed us that a 15% gratuity on each room delivery was already included! Perhaps an earlier staff member could have mentioned this, rather than simply pocketing a double tip?

All in all - the tents are unique and interesting, but they're extremely vulnerable to noise and somewhat lacking in privacy. A dynamite location, but a high cost for a less than stellar stay.

Room Tip: The tent suites are unique, interesting, and well appointed, but not entirely private and highly sus...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gunner67
Dikran Z, General Manager at Rockwater Secret Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Gunner 67,

Thank You very much for posting a review pertaining to your recent stay at The Rockwater Resort on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the overall lay out of our Five Star Tent House accomodations however I was dissapointed to hear that we were late in responding to eliminate the excessive music generated by guests near your Tent House.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this inconvenience caused and rest assured that I have taken the appropriate action with my team to avoid further incidents as such from reoccuring.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Rockwater was just wonderful, we went there for a relaxing weekend and that is what we had - there are no tvs in the Tent Suites where we stayed, so if you are not a fan of that, don't go, but the views of the ocean are spectacular and it was a great place to reconnect - we had a fabulous time

Room Tip: The Tent Suites are spectacular, we stayed in 63, a long walk but totally worth it overlooking the o...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dikran Z, General Manager at Rockwater Secret Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Pam D,

What a wonderful review! Thank You very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with all the Trip Advisor Community.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We went in september of 2012 for a friends wedding. I have to say, its' a great place to get married. They were wonderful to the bride and groom, and it was a beautiful ceremony.They stayed in a tent suite which was beautiful down by the water, it was the opposite of where we stayed.
But has for our cabin, it would have been better if we pitched a tent, or slept in the car. It was FILTHY. I have stayed in campgrounds with cabins that were cleaner. FULL of bugs (we had to get some of the staff to come and get them) the bathroom was disgusting, I had a freezing cold shower. The sheets were questionably clean, I showered when we got to our next destination because i still felt dirty from the bathroom.
We didn't want to say too much as to not upset the bride and groom, but we said a few things while we were checking out and they gave us a small discount, enough to pay for our breakfast. But in all honesty, I would never go there again. Even if it was free I would not return. We thought we would stay and catch a later ferry, but by the time we woke up from our awful sleep on an old sqeeky, rikety bed, incredibly uncomfortable bed, we couldn't wait to get out of there!
I recently got an email from them, asking us to come back and it just made me even more mad. I don't want your spam email after our horrible stay!
If you go to the beautiful sunshine coast, my opinion, skip this place

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JEDLUX

Dear JEDLUX,

Thank You very much for posting a review on Trip Advisor pertaining to your stay in September 2012 at the Rockwater Resort.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed wedding location, ceremony and the service which we provided to your group. It is such comments like yours that our resort was voted as the top wedding ceremony location in British Columbia for the year 2012.

However I was very dissapointed to read about the lack of attentiveness and quality which was very evident inside your cabin.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and kindly ensure that since last fall we enhanced our soft good amenities such as purchasing new linens as well as our quality assurance through out our rooms to avoid incidents as such from reoccuring.

Wishing you all the very best and a wonderful summer.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

From the moment we were greeted by Andrea, a most friendly and helpful staff member, we knew we were in for a positive and memorable experience. Staying in one of the resort's "tenthouses" was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, though we're committed to returning to it as often as we can in the future. The staff are friendly and attentive, the attention to detail in the tenthouse was amazing. The view was spectacular and the setting absolutely unparalleled.

I couldn't possibly recommend improvements to this experience!

Room Tip: If booking a tenthouse, speak with a reservations specialist who can help to identify the best avail...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Terry K,

Thank You very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with our on line readers pertaining to your recent stay at Rockwater Resort and Spa.

I was delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay with us.

Andrea who was our Employee of the Year in 2012 is truly an amazing team member and always represents The Rockwater Resort in an outstanding manner.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We, 2 adults and 1 child had a very poor experience in one of the highly recommend cabins.
It was so tiny, 3 bedrooms with a 2 seat couch ( stain on one seat that looked like dried up food).
A TV on one wall with no channel working, no DVD player. TV was 2 feet away from the couch. No microwave, stove or any utensil. We brought popcorn so we asked at front desk if we could use the microwave, there was no microwave in the whole resort. Yeh, right!
The best part was, aside from pubic hair in bathtub, the amount of spiders everywhere! Hence the nick name. There was a big, black one under my 10 year old daughters pillow...
I did mention all of that to the concierge who apologized and gave us a blanket to cover the stain on the sofa seat. All that for 199$ a night.

Room Tip: Starfish studio in Sechelt
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ella Z

Dear Ella Z,

Thank You very much for sharing your recent experience at Rockwater Resort on Trip Advisor.

I was very dissapointed to read about the housekeeping issues which your family encountered and please be assured that I have discussed them in detail with our team to ensure incidents as such do not occur in the future.

Kindly note that none of our accomodations offer any type of cooking facilities however we do have a micro wave in our kitchen which can be utilized by our guests upon request.

DVD's are also available upon request via our guest services desk.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and we certainly hope that you will overlook our shortcomings and provide us with another opportunity to make it right in the future.

Yours truly,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stunning, beautiful, perfect setting. Stay in the tents. Well worth the money for the experience.
This is that private peaceful getaway. Having kayak rentals right there is a great bonus.
The restaurant is not as comfortably prepared for vegan diets as many other resorts we've been to. However they will try to accommodate you if you pre plan with them.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Drivereye,

Thank You very much for taking the time to share your recent experience at Rockwater Resort with our on line community.

I was delighted to hear that you had a very pleasant stay with us.

As for our guests requiring special dietary meals, we do ask upon making the reservations if there is a need as such to ensure a 100% satisfaction during their stay with us.

We look forward to being at your service again in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Rented a tentsuite right on the rocks with unimpeded view do the water, sea lions breaching, rain falling, all the while cozy in our tent.
The over all experience during the stormy days of winter made the getaway even better. The resort team were "Sunshine Coast" friendly and had many tips on where to go for the day.
The dining experience was totally 5 star, wine well priced, and service excellent.

Our ony regret was staying 1 night...but we will be back in the fall for sure. Your reputation known far and wide after looking at the guest book, but for a quick break from Vancouver it is a magical getaway! Kudos to all!
Bill & Brenda
Swanny@shaw.ca

Room Tip: Get a tent on the rocks!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dikran Z, General Manager at Rockwater Secret Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Hello Bill and Brenda,

Thank You very much for sharing your awesome stay with us and our online community. Reviews such as this inspire our staff to continue their efforts and I look forward to sharing with them.

We look forward to being a part of your next Sunshine Coast experience in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Halfmoon Bay
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
Secret Cove Cottage Suites
#1 of 1 in Halfmoon Bay
Backeddy Resort & Marina

Been to Rockwater Secret Cove Resort? Share your experiences!