“Very chilled”
Review of Sejuk Cottages

Sejuk Cottages
Ranked #31 of 158 Specialty Lodging in Gili Air
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Having searched for the ultimate chilaxing holiday, we opted to stay in Gili Air for a few days on our last holiday. We were recommended to Sejuk Cottages by the Trip Advisor and chose to contact them directly. We were able to book straight away and arranged for airport transfer from Mataram (without even putting any deposit upfront).

Bernard, the owner was already waiting at the airport when we landed and transferred us to the island and hotel. The staff welcomed us with their speciality iced coffee (the best I've had!) and showed us to the wonderful cottages.

Everyone was very welcoming and friendly, and we felt like we were part of the big family while we were there. It was my mother's and another guest's birthdays when we were there and the staff spent the night (having found this out the night before) decorating the breakfast room and baking a cake to surprise them the next morning!!

All in all, I absolutely love staying here and would come back whenever I'm in Gili!

Thank you Bernard and staff!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed May 10, 2011

I have stayed at Sejuk before but in the couple of years since then they have put in a pool and some more rooms. The rooms are little gem quality bungalows and the bathrooms are amazing with everything from full rock sculptures to pristine tile work. The owner (Bernard) goes out of his way to make your stay memorable. Its quiet, secluded and yet only steps from the beach. This was my favorite place to stay on my entire month long trip to Bali.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you want.
Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Oh Gili Air - I love you! And our stay at Sejuk Cottages only made the experience better. A wonderful property run by a frenchman, Bernard. There are about 10 self-contained huts/cottages (that are done so tastefully). The decor is balinese and the service is friendly. One arrives on a horse-cart and you receive a delicious welcome drink - cold coffee!

The breakfast (you can have it served on the "mezzanine floor" of each cottage) was very nice. There is also a small pool that is nice for an evening dip. Would recommend that you hire bicycles, as there are no motor-powered vehicles on the wonderful Gili islands (Air, Meno and Trawangan).

Also, as per the Lonely Planet - there are beautiful views of the sea - nope. There is no sea-view directly from Sejuk. However, I would still recommend Sejuk for anyone planning to spend a couple of days on Gili Air.

P.S. Beware of the horrible "boat men" at Padang Bai. They know that they are the only option to take you to the Gili Islands and will fleece you!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2011

WE stayed here for 5 nights. The rooms are simple but have everything you need. We enjoyed sitting on the veranda looking out onto the garden. Having a pool onsite was a bonus as the hotel was set back from the beach but we often went to the beach and dropped into the pool on the way back to our room. We hired bikes for 25,000 rupiah a day but you e d up walking as the sandy path is sometimes hardgoing. Use the bikes to discover inland. Breakfasts were a bit of a let down but looking at other menus seem to be standard. The owner and staff were helpful and friendly. I don't know how it compares pricewise with other places and some of the other places looked newer but we would come back here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Great location, nice staff and good service! We originally planned tot stay here for only 3 days but ended up staying a week!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2011

To put this review in perspective, I have lived in Bali for two years, can speak a bit of bahasa, and am very familiar with indonesia and its quirks. We have just spent a few weeks travelling in this holiday, coming from Jakarta, to Bali, to Gili Trawangan, and now to Gili Air and Sejuk Cottages. So yes, this is not a case of a bad review through lack of acceptance of Asian or Indonesian practices.

Good things first - Rooms are nice, we stayed in the Lumbung Room. Bathroom is outside and lined with stone making it quite pretty. Pool is great, very deep and long with a section for sitting in. Like other reviews have stated, the ice coffee is nice, however unlike some other reviews suggested the light of gods ar se does not shine from it. (its nescafe, with ice cream)

Now, onto the Bad - When first arrived we moved our stuff to the room, were given a welcome speech which was good, and we thought that was ok, until you try and find the light switch in the room and find a remote with 6 or 7 blank buttons on it instead. Managed to turn the lights on, however they would not turn off. Got the guy at the front to help, he went and got his friend, who checked it out and told me it was broken and it would be fixed tomorrow when the room was cleaned. Apparently the fact that the lights would be on all night wasn't a problem for him. In the end I suggested we unscrew the lightbulbs and use the lamps that have a switch.

We then went to get some food from the office that serves breakfast, apparently Sejuk Cottages only serves breakfast, so you need to walk down the road a bit (not far, to a place called Juliantos, which is where we are now staying). At Juliantos we booked a snorkelling trip for the next day, so went back to the room to get an early night.

Keep in mind all this is not that big a problem, this is Indonesia and you get what you can.

The bed isn't the best, but thats ok I'm tired and head reasonably quickly off to bed. However it was failed to be mentioned to us by Bernard or any of the staff that there is a rooster pen or something like it DIRECTLY behind the hut. This is where my disclaimer at the start of this review comes in. I am used to noise while sleeping. I GET there are chickens and roosters all over the island. This doesn't bother me. However a rooster crowing ALL night, directly by the room is unacceptable. So yes, needless to say, my girlfriend and I got absolutely no sleep last night, ended up getting up at 5 am as there was no point trying to stay in bed.

So, yes, a sleepless night done, we checked out at 7am. They asked me why and of course they look at me like I'm an moron when I say there was a rooster at the window all night. They then go and give me the price of the room, and then (as I'm paying by credit card) go and add 5% to the bill. This is normally fine, however their math s totally wrong and they ask me for Rp 50,000 too much. I know this is small change (around AUS $6) however by this time I am not really wanting to pay for the room at all. After around 5 - 10 minutes of the staff playing with the eftpos machine, I take it and show them how to use it.

Adventure complete. We walked 50 meters down the road to Juliantos and checked in. Will leave a seperate review for that later on.

So yes, I'm giving this place 1 star to be fair to the room and the pool. However you pay for hotel rooms by the NIGHT. I'm almost certain the staff or Bernard would know of the chicken roost next door which is why this room was the last available. Some arrangement could be made with the neighbours to move the chicken coop or something, however this isn't my concern. My lack of sleep is. Not good enough Sejuk Cottages!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SeanOz84
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We stayed here because of LP's glowing review - and we were a bit disappointed! There was no sign of the owner - and the staff were so laid back they were practically horizontal.

We liked the fact that it was set back from the beach and was quiet - and it was great to have a pool. We also loved our terrace which was spacious, airy and had good lighting, but the room needed a good clean and the bathroom was basic (and we met a couple of cockroaches there!)

Our overall feeling was that this was a great place that had become a bit neglected. Overall an okayt choice.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple