“Amazing - a must do on Gili Air”

Biba Beach Cafe - Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #23 of 71 Restaurants in Gili Air
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Biba Beach Cafe' has won for 5 consecutive years the Certificate of Excellence on Tripadvisor. Biba Beach is a special and relaxing Italian Restaurant in front of the sea. Specialized in pasta and homemade ravioli, gnocchi and lasagna, we also offer fresh grilled fish. Our famous italian dessert, Tiramisu, is also made everyday.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing - a must do on Gili Air”
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is amazing! You need to book a day in advance but as soon as you arrive you understand why. FANTASTIC service from start to finish. The food is very reasonably priced and delicious... I'd recommend the seafood tagliatelle (clams, two huge tiger prawns, squid and fish) and very big portions. Also, we had a bottle of red which was lovely and compared to other restaurants, very reasonably priced. Extremely enjoyable experience with amazing good :)

• Visited August 2014

• Indonesian first
“Disgraceful service ”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We decided to try this restaurant as it was top choice in our lonely planet guide book. Firstly we were disappointed as there was no pizza on the menu yet the book said there was a wood burning oven.

We had bruschetta to start which was nice. The service was nice and quick despite them being very busy but I wouldn't say they were overly friendly.

My partner and I both had lasagne but unfortunately the lasagne sheets were very thick and undercooked. We tried to speak to our waiter and ask if we could change our dish. He disappeared and about 10 minutes later the owner/manager came to speak to us.

As a paying customer, I have never been spoken to so rudely in my life. He said I am Italian and this is how it is served in my country, shrugging his shoulders and not offering an alternative meal.

He then said that we could have two new meals and pay for these on top of the two expensive lasagne's. I am appalled by his lack of apology and whatever happened to 'the customer is always right'

In the end he grabbed our plates and said you pay for the drinks and leave. We certainly won't be returning.

bibabeach, Manager at Biba Beach Cafe - Ristorante Italiano, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear guest,
You came to the restaurant, you browsed the menu and saw we don't do pizza anymore, so there's no reason to complain about that.
About the lasagna... We've been serving lasagna everyday in the last six years and we got nothing but compliments for that.

Anyway it's subjective, and we can definitely accept a disapproval if somebody doesn't like our food.
But one thing is to say that you didn't like it, one is demand not to pay for it.

Also if I don't like something I don't eat it, but your dishes were both about half empty!

Anyway I tried to explain to you how we do lasagna in Italy, but after the fourth time I immediately understood the situation (you clearly didn't want to pay for something that you've already ate) and asked you to leave.
Of course I didn't want to give you any other food that you woudn't have pay.
For the record I didn't put the two lasagna in your bill, so again, nothing to complain about.
By the way there were customers close to you shocked by your reaction and when you left they came to me saying they were sorry for your lack of politeness and that they support our work and our service.

Overall, we are just glad the other eighty people sitting in our restaurant said that they did enjoy their meal and our hard work.
Adelaide, Australia
“Good food but not overly friendly.”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Biba Beach Cafe is a nice little beachfront restaurant at the far end of the strip that serves good food that's quite authentic, but the owners didn't seem to care too much whether we dined there or not.

As we approached the restaurant, my wife (who's Italian) greeted the Italian owners with a hearty 'buonasera' but they barely turned their heads in return. Kind of strange we thought.

As we entered the restaurant we saw a small laminated sign stating that if you don't have anything nice to say on TripAdvisor then don't say anything at all (or words to that effect).

Anyway, we really enjoyed our meals. The bruschetta was great as was the salad, tuna olive gnocchi and spaghetti vongole. My lasagne was huge and very tasty.
Tiramisu was the perfect way to finish.
I thought it was a trifle expensive with none of our mains under Rp70,000.

Not once throughout the whole evening did the owners bother to interact or at least acknowledge or greet any of the guests at all, preferring to huddle amongst themselves in a small group at reception.
Quite aloof I thought and not very welcoming.

• Visited May 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Expensive and no pizza”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

went here because of lonely planet recommendation on pizza. well no pizza at all for the last year they say. the other food they have, is ok but well overpriced in my opinion and you can eat cheaper in other restaurants. also waiters could be a bit cleanly dressed, if this is a restaurant on "higher" level. and no WIFI!

• Visited July 2014
bibabeach, Manager at Biba Beach Cafe - Ristorante Italiano, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hello,
when you first entered our restaurant asking for pizza, I promptly said that is been one year we don't do pizza anymore and it's not our fault if Lonely Planet does not update the guide (We already contact them and we cannot do more than that!).
We're a restaurant and not an internet cafe', we sell food, not Wifi!
Aalborg, Denmark
“Expensive for what you get”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Went for a pizza, unfortunately their oven wasn't working that night. Ordered bruschetta w/octopus and special super seafood super tagliatelle instead. Bruschetta was soft bread, a lot of olives and very little octopus; at 50K IDR, definitely overpriced. Tagliatelle (90K IDR) was better although king prawns were mushy and pasta didn't feel home made as they state. Including drinks, the total came to 280K IDR - Western food is expensive indeed. While this place may be one of the better Italian restaurants on Gili Air, we would consider it a rather average one back home.

• Visited April 2014