“Awesome first experience of diving!”

Manta Dive Gili Air
Ranked #1 of 25 Tours in Gili Air
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Manta Dive Gili Air opened in 2008 with a few rooms, one boat and a dozen sets of diving equipment. Over the last 9 exciting years we have expanded the business to its full potential, teaching thousands of happy students along the way. We are now the leading SSI dive center in the region, offering SSI and Padi beginner dive courses and SSI professional levels, guiding qualified divers to see the delights around the Gili Islands, and accommodating our guests in our resort rooms. Our management and staff are on hand to answer any questions you have and to make sure that your diving and holiday with us is one to remember.
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had an amazing time at Manta! I had never dived before I arrived at Gili Air but the experience has left me desperate to dive again. I will however be sad not to be diving again with the great group I completed my Open Water certificate with and our awesome instructor Nick! I couldn't have wished for a better instructor, he completely removed any anxiety I had about diving and he made sure the entire experience was fun and enjoyable for everyone. His passion for diving is so contagious and his knowledge and experience reassured myself and the entire group, we felt very lucky to have him as a teacher! Everyone was so friendly around the place and all the instructors i met were great. The atmosphere was perfect and it added so much to my experience...I could not recommend both Nick and Manta Dive enough! Thanks for a brilliant time!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is the second time I've dived with Manta Dive Gili Air (previously being in November 2012).

Across my visits I've completed 3 courses with different instructors (Rob, Anna, Nick). And dived with Whitney, Opick, Roxy, and Rob 2. Rob is a great teacher and he primarily takes the owd course, his enthusiasm is infectious and it's easy to see why so many of his students stay on to complete other dives and courses, I feel his professionalism and conduct as manager is in no small part responsible for the success and quality of MDGA. Anne was great taking my advanced open water course, she was enthusiastic about the marine life surrounding the Gilis. Rob2 was completing his dive master when i Was last there and is now an instructor, he's a lovely guy and great fun and would have no qualms recommending him as a dive guide or instructor.

This trip I completed my stress and rescue course with Nick. It was a pleasure diving with nick having not done so previously. He has a laid back yet professional attitude which puts you at ease in the water whilst still providing a excellent educational experience. His course delivery is informative but not dictaic. He provides good feed back on your diving and clearly has a passion for what he dose (having close to 600 dives around the Gilis in the last 12 months) and seems just as happy with a dive as the customers. He's a wealth of information regarding diving in the area and around Indonesia and would highly recommended him.

Fun diving with Whitney, Opick, and Roxy was also great fun and highly professional. The equipment, while well used, was never a cause for concern and any issue promptly addressed. John (the owner) clearly runs a highly professional outfit which permeates through all levels of the business. A number of the Indonesian staff are divers with rescue qualifications which is not the norm on the Gilis.

I'd recommend MDGA to anyone seeking to undertake any form of diving on the Gilis. And look forwards to returning in the future.

Lachlan

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I've just spent 6 days diving with Manta Dive Gili Air and the experience couldn't have been better. I only intended to do my open water course with them, but because the staff, the vibe and the diving was so brilliant I stayed on to complete my advanced and nitrox specialty courses as well. In particular it was such a pleasure to dive with Nick, who surely must be the world's best dive instructor. He was patient, enthusiastic and a ton of fun. (Thank you, Nick!) The accommodation at Manta is also very nice and the food in the restaurant was quite good too. This place gets top marks from me. I hope to be back one day soon!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

While not certified, I had dived about 3-4 times before coming here, so I don't have a lot of experience to compare it to, but some. I had such an excellent time getting my certification and diving with the folks at Manta Dive Gili Air, my 3-day visit turned into a week as I kept signing up for more dives after the open water course was complete, even getting my deep water (30m) certification the morning I finally tore myself away from this amazing place and headed back to Bali.

First of all, all diving establishments on Gili Air charge the same prices, and they all honor each other's courses - for example, I did my intro course at Trawangan Dive on Gili Trawangan, then moved on to Gili Air, and Manta credited my open water course with the intro course and dive that I had already done at a different place on another island. Definite plus.

Second, the instructors at Manta are all top-notch and super friendly, particularly our instructor, Nick from South Africa. WIth 2000+ dives under his belt all over the world, Nick knew what he was talking about. He was very thorough, clear, and patient, while rigorous and professional at all times. He's also loads of fun and has hilarious stories of diving and traveling around the world. Underwater, he's exceptionally skilled at spotting and pointing out even the tiniest and most camouflaged sea life, and is very good at keeping everyone at ease and keeping a good eye on all in the group. Unexpectedly, I had a minor panic during our first dive, and he got me calmed and collected in no time, without having to surface. We also saw many turtles, eels, a shark, sea snake, and tons and tons of fish and coral, some quite rare.

Other perks: they have nice accommodation (though a bit pricey for me, so I stayed elsewhere), and a great restaurant where you get a discount on the menu if you dive with them. They have relatively fast wifi (a rarity in Indonesia!), great food/drink prices, and their already very reasonable diving prices are even better if you do more dives after your course - you get a 10% continuing education discount. You can do up to three dives per day, if doing a night dive, or just a morning and evening one. The spots around the Gilis are fantastic, though all Gili dive shops visit all of the same sites.

Gili Air is a dream - I started on Gili Trawangan, which is also stunningly beautiful, but it felt a bit too much like an Aussie frat party at night for me, so I moved on to Gili Air, which strikes just the right balance of serenity and sociability. I changed my departure plans 5 times before I finally had to tear myself away and return to Bali to catch my flight home. I travel to Bali every year for work, and this was my first time visiting the Gili Islands - the ultimate island paradise for sure - but I will definitely be coming back here to Gili Air and Manta Dive whenever I'm back in Bali. It was by far one of the most impressive and exciting experiences of my life.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The staff were very helpful everything was clean, food at the restaurant was really good with a good selection, dive trips and courses were great, want to go back to do more dive courses due to the environment and helpfulness of the staff.