“Perfect place to learn to dive!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 23 Tours in Gili Air
Los Gatos, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Perfect place to learn to dive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

My friend and I decided to go to Gili Air for a few days to learn how to scuba dive. A friend suggested Manta Dive and she was right, this place was perfect for diving, especially for learning how to dive. We got a discount for booking online and ended up getting a discount on a room, so we stayed there too (very convenient for morning dives/training).

Nick was our instructor and I have to say, he is AWESOME! Nick is super patient, enthusiastic, and confident--the perfect combination for newbies! He took the time to sit down with us and explain the open water certification course, in detail, and helped us book our room. In fact, he took the time, every day, to sit down with us, brief us, and go over the details for the day and our course. He was also super excited during the dives which made us excited. He pointed out fish and other sea life and recapped it all when we logged the info in our dive logs. We had such a good time completing the open water course, we ended up paying and staying for the next level, advanced adventurer. We did the deep, navigation, drift, nitrox, and night dives. Again, amazing experiences! The water was so clear with perfect visibility and warm, so it was comfortable to dive.

Akville, assisted Nick and was great too! She is also very patient and did a good job of making sure we were ok during the dive. I felt comfortable knowing she was diving with us!

I highly recommend Manta Dive. Please ask for Nick! Again, he's super friendly, trust worthy, and knows his stuff. I was really scared and timid to dive and Nick was the perfect instructor who helped me feel comfortable and confident diving. Thank you again, Nick!

Big thank you to the entire staff at Manta Dive. Everyone from the boat captains, to hotel staff, to booking office were all friendly and helpful. Great business model.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Staufen im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
“Great instructors, beautiful dives, lot's of fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I am very happy to have chosen the Manta Dive Center for my trainings because the instructors are highly professional and very relaxed at the same time. They convey security, have deep knowledge of both diving skills and the biological diversity under water making the whole experience a lot of fun. The formal learning part is not a hassle, but the real learning of how to deal with the equipment and how to behave under water is taken seriously, giving a very high level of self confidence.Thanks a lot for great times, great dives, and lot's of fun, Nick, Rob, Anna, and all the rest of the team!

Guangzhou, China
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Almost perfect experience for my Gili air trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

In a short words, I really enjoyed in Manta Dive Gili Air, which I just left today and I begun to miss it!

I finished my OW course there and Nele is a really great, kind, beautiful instructor for me. I would appreciate her that always cheers me up and finally got my certification smoothly even I am just not quite good at English. Thanks, Nele, again! Actually, all the staves there are very kind and helpful. When you have any questions, such as rooms, facilities, dives, just ask them for help.

I also stayed in Manta Dive Resort and I have tried three rooms there. IMHO, their traditional rooms are far better than the garden rooms. The others reviews have talked about a lot of advatages they have, so I just point out which two really disappoint me:

1. Salt walter

On this island, you could find a lot of cheaper resorts or guest rooms has hot freshwater for shower but not in Manta Dive.

2. Internet access

It's really sucks! You can find wifi hotspot in room but can not access internet and you even can not find a spot when you are in a garden room......

Ok, since I have simPATI, I just wanna try 3g hotspot by myself. It still doesn't work while in the room!!!

What you can do is just move your computer or ipad to the tables near office and then you could find some wifi hotspot nearby such as restaurant WaterFront or something.

I have told the staff and boss about this issue, but they could only answer me it is a common issue on this island. It doesn't make any sense with why waterfront and private house could do it better?

After all, I was just looking for a good diving school or teacher and I got it by Nele. So I think freshwater or internet problem is not my major concert at all. But if they can fix them, that's would be better!

Basel, Switzerland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Awesome staff, great dives”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My girl friend and I stayed at the Manta Dive dive center (gili air) for a week in november 2012 and we had a terrific time there.
First of all, snorkelling 10 meters away from the dive center is more than decent. Simply jumping into the blue from the sandy beach which will likely let you spot some turtles and definitively see thousands of fishes and hard coral. Moreover, although my girlfriend does not dive, she was offered the opportunity to join me on the boat to snorkel at our dive location which was really nice!

Regarding the dives, the crew was caring of all the hassles. We were always in a small committee and the dive guides were awesome at spotting tiny little improbable fish to more bigger ones.
Between the dives, the interval was spent back on the beach, drinking a fresh stuffs from the small cafeteria (joint with the dive center).
After the dives, we usually got a nice debrieffing, a chance to name the creatures we had seen which could turn out to a long chat about the underwater world.

Finally, what was really delightful and rare is the genuine passion the staff has about the sea and the way they kindly shared it with us. All of this in a laid back and competent atmosphere.

Thanks Rob, Anna, Opick and the crew for this pure experience!

Tim.

Visited November 2012
Cologne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“World's best dive center”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We enjoyed every minute of our course, dives and stay with the Manta Dive Team! Rob's fun, easy-going and very professional approach, hilarious stories and deep knowledge of planet Oceania made us enjoy both the theoretical and practical part of the course. The school offers both PADI and SSI courses at the best rates on the island and gives you an extra deal if you stay at their wonderful bungalows - breakfast at the beach included. If you manage to get a dive and/or accommodation with this highly popular place - GO FOR IT!

Visited January 2013