“Great stay!”

Manta Dive Gili Air Resort
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Gili Air
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here, it's a great setup with excellent bungalow rooms and nice outdoor shower setup. Well maintained, airconditioning, sweet restaurant and right on the water. Very professional setup and great with the diving (although they took us to Shark Point..yikes!). Excellent value for money, definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed and did some diving with Manta dive on Gili air. The owner was really lovely and convinced my boyfriend to do his AOW which was great- more diving for me. Having already dived on Trawangan I was a bit apprehensive of diving the same sites again, however the guides were so knowledgeable that we saw so much more with manta dive air!

At the beginning of each dive the guide would ask what we would like to see and they really went out of their way to show it to us. At one point on a dive I could even see the guide signing to another instructor, trying to find the bumpheads I so desperately wanted to see. These guys do this day in day out but it's nice to see that they genuinely care about your specific dive on your specific day.

We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank NWali
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just one thing before I begin - going to Gili Air is like going back in time, the medieval time! Seriously! There are no cars on any of the Gili islands (which is nice) but there are mini horses and carts (watch out for their poo bags..) Everything happens slower on the Gili Islands - nothing is every hurried, Islanders are very chilled - they sleep outside on the beach or in hammocks, you'll openly be offered "hashish" and they love a bit of reggae, there are no real roads - just mud tracks, most accommodation/b&bs don't have fresh water they have sea water so you'll have a salty shower...

The actual rooms are called bungalows made out of thatched wood (??) either way they're very cute! They're one room which is the bedroom - this has a bed and some shelving space with a safe. The bathroom is outside...now folks, this took a lot of getting used to but it's actually fine. It's completely private - there's no way anyone can overlook or peer in - the only thing you have to worry about are the mosquitoes...and the lizards...we always went outside to the bathroom together - one used the loo/showered/etc the other stood guard with an electronic fly swatter...A couple of times a smiling lizard popped his head up through the wall next to me on the loo which was always "surprising"...The rooms were always cleaned very thoroughly and fresh towels and bed linen were supplied.

Breakfast is served outside on the beach front and you get a choice of museli with yogurt, egg and bacon roll - that kind of thing. It's not a big choice but it's fine. The b&b is on the main road (think it's the only road to be honest) and you can walk in either direction and find cafes and bars for lunches, drinks, dinners etc.

The staff were always friendly and very helpful with recommendations of places to eat and activities etc :)

Re the diving bit of the B&B - I am quite scared of the sea and I only really like a bit of paddling or just floating in very shallow water so diving was not going to be an activity I would be doing! Nevertheless the b&b staff organised a private boat for us and we hired some snorkelling kit from the next door shop (ridiculously cheap) and off we went and I learned to snorkel (my husband taught me)! The driver of the boat took us all around the islands and we saw some amazing fish and scenery. We stopped for lunch on Gili Meno and then hopped back on the boat for a bit more snorkelling. For someone who's scared of the sea I had a fantastic day out and was very proud of myself!

There are lots of cats on Gili Air - they're most street cats and are a bit scared of people unless you have food :)

Overall it was a fun experience...I'm not sure if I'll go back because I like indoor loos and non-salty showers! To be honest you don't go to the Gilis for the accommodation - you go for the amazing and breathtaking scenery and untouched beaches.

Room Tip: Buy an electric fly swatter - seriously...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheLittleWelsh
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I spent the first 10 days of our trip on this beautiful island.we had the most wonderful time! Manta dive was where we stayed in the new waterfront rooms.they were a bit more expensive but were very comfortable with the bonus of fresh water showers ,a real treat!
I had decided to attempt to get my open water dive certificate which at the age of 53 I was a bit nervous about! But under the great instruction and help of nick one of the great dive masters there, I achieved it!! The whole set up there is relaxed but professional and I felt looked after at all times.
We had such an amazing time overall that I have been reluctant to let people know about it! If you can get there just do it you will not be disappointed. We are definitely going back to gili air!!

2  Thank Kim M
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had the best time with MD, a dozen dives in a week, most of them absolutely amazing. Perfect weather, pristine tropical waters, 20+ visibility, abundant underwater life, heaps of turtles (even with snorkeling 20m from shore), rays, crabs, lobsters, interesting fish, even a reefshark. The staff is very competent, every preparation was taken care of, diving has never been so easy. We went down with 6 different divemasters (all very good) in groups of 2-5 put together by level of experience, nothing to complain. The rooms were nice, ample space, openair shower. Only downside was that we had to move twice due to booking issues and we lost our fastboat tickets in the process, but otherwise staff were very helpful. Thanks for the amazing holiday.

1  Thank abovari
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Rooms were luxury and spacious in a nice a garden setting right on the beach.
The showers are outside and spacious. Some people have complained about the pebbles on the shower floor. Don't know if they have changed it but when we were there there were smooth flat stepping tiles where you step into the shower and where you stand under the shower. Never had to stand on the pebbles.
Loved the outside bathroom.
Snorkeling right in front of Manta dive was good and the day snorkeling trip organized by the tour guy next door was really good.

2  Thank lizianp
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed 5 glorious days and enjoyed every single day! We had a great stay and enjoyed the location and clean rooms and the outdoor shower was great although the outside toilet in the middle of a downpour at 2am was not as pleasant.! The diving and snorkeling was amazing ! The pool provided a place to relax and chill out while discussing the days events! Recommend staying here!

• Stayed: March 2013
#11 of 20 in Gili Air
MAHAMAYA Gili Meno
MAHAMAYA Gili Meno
#1 of 11 in Gili Meno

Been to Manta Dive Gili Air Resort? Share your experiences!