“Diving and snorkelling in heaven”

Manta Dive Gili Air Resort
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Gili Air
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Stayed 4 nights at Manta Dive after the positive feedback on Trip Advisor, and it is all true. Having done my original dive certificate over 25 years ago, and a re-certification 6 or so years ago, I was a keen but apprehensive diver looking for a place to 'get back into it' without fuss. And this is the place. Whether you are a very experienced diver (like my husband and others), rusty like me, or a new diver, the staff and facilities at Manta Dive will ensure that you have a very comfortable stay and dives that are amazing. It is very well organised with lots of options to help you dive in different locations, and planned well to be away from other groups of divers from Gili Air or other islands. I think that this is the first place that I can honestly say challenges the Great Barrier Reef, if you could hear me under water you would have heard my constant 'O.M.G!' is was so beautiful. The relaxed atmosphere helped me chill out and enjoy my trip.The snorkelling was just as good, so if you are not a diver you can still see plenty of fish, coral and turtles. Jackie was a fabulous dive master, and he was also able to tell us about Gili Air, his home and the changes he has seen in the last 10-15 years. Plenty of choice for lunches and dinner on the island, while breakfast at MD was perfect - ask for ginger tea. The accommodation was very comfortable - shower was lightly salty but hot - after wanting a fresh water shower, this just wasn't an issue anymore as the rest of the room, bed etc was just perfect.. And so nice to hear the staff singing while they work... I'd love to go back, so much more diving to do, but also to see more of the island and visit Gili T. Thank you Mona/Muna (sorry) and Kristie for such a lovely stay, including organising the transport from the airport on Lombok. (Note - don't fly, while the drive over the hills is very scenic, and I'm glad we did it, catch the fast boat from Bali - it will be quicker in the long run).

Room Tip: Everyone will recommend their own room but we stayed in Sasak villa 3, which I thought was one of th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmacPerth

Reviewed November 24, 2011

Where to start with so much to say ... was it only 9 blissful days at the beginning of November filled with an unexpected new passion of diving fueled by passionate instructors? At the end of trip it felt like more days and at the same time so few! I'm sure I could have easily stayed longer if there was accommodation available and loved ones weren't waiting for my return.

The island is so beautifully chilled and taking a horse drawn cart to Manta was a great and funny start to my time there.

Mona's greeting on my arrival at Manta set the scene with so much activity all around with divers just back from a dive and having lunch before the next dive. My room was ready and it was all that was promised to be (both on their website and from the other reviews). I stayed in both a Sasak and a Garden room during my stay.

Off for a swim and was amazed about the marine life just off the beach - on my last day I followed 2 turtles when I was snorkelling just off the beach.

Restaurants/bars around (as per the other reviews) and after tips from the dive instructors I often went to the warungs in the village near the middle of the island for fabulous and cheap food.

On my first full day on the island I started my Openwater certificate with Johan as my instructor and I fell in love with diving. I then did my Advanced course, again with the ever patient Johan, and just squeezed in a Nitrox course with Rob before leaving. The dive instructors/masters are fabulous and so helpful and keen to share their knowledge, and great also to chat with the other divers and learn from them too.

It was so easy to stay at Manta with the staff at Manta helpful, professional, and up for a laugh. Before I arrived they answered all my email questions, helped me book my travel to/from the island, and gave suggestions on where to stay in Bali.

Being by myself on the island was totally cool and I felt safe at all times. I just needed to buy a torch so that I could find my way back from yoga at H2O - Natascha and Asherah are great teachers and the yoga space is AMAZING - I'd highly recommend going there if you're into yoga or want to try it for the first time. Asherah gives a great shiatsu massage too!

I'll definitely be going back to Gili Air and staying at Manta Dive soon!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Felicity B
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Never thought I'd dive, ever... but the Manta Dive crew helped me out and turned me into an addict. All thanks to the patience and professional guidance of Kaite, Pia, Rob and all the others!
I'll be back next year for my Underwater Bakset Weaving Specialty!

RoFLow

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank RObedoRo
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We spent a week with Manta Dive and did our advanced diving tickets. The resort is very clean and comfortable and the bungalows were some of the best we'd ever stayed in. We really enjoyed our time here and were sorry when it was time to go. All the instructors were excellent and the reefs in the area were some of the best we'd ever seen. Very professional and respecting of the sea life and the reefs the dive masters made this a trip we'll never forget! We'll be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #1 and faced the pool and the beach - lovely spot to see the sunrise!
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2011

This dive resort is amazing. The location is fab, beautiful, and near some great restaurants. The rooms themselves are really peaceful and quiet, spacious, and cleaned daily. The staff are really friendly, yet proffessional, and there is a great atmosphere. You are made to feel so welcome. It is obviously very well managed by John and Alexandra.

We did our SSI open water course, and loved it so much that we did our advanced adventurer SSI also. Our instructor Rich was knowlegable, professional, encouraging, and just a really nice guy to be around. All the intructers were also really friendly, and we enjoyed having a beer with them in the evenings.

We loved it so much that (thanks to a cancelation) we were able to extend our stay. Even when we had to move hotels, Manta were so helpful to us, they let us keep open our tab, and help us plan the next leg of the journey. I can't recommend them highly enough.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beth H
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Best part of our 14 day travels through Indonesia. Accomdation clean and comfortable . Breakfasts great value for money. Diving facility and instructors world class. Thank you Jonathan and Alex for your professional service and making our stay the best! Stefan was amazing with our 2 teenagers who did their open water diving course and we enjoyed the snorkelling going out with the divers as well as from the amazing beach infront of Manta Dive.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the family room at the back away from the activities.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lourene L
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The 3 day diving course (Open Water) we did with Manta Dive and our amazing instructor Pia was really really nice! We saw loads and loads of turtles and it was an experience never to forget:-)

The people at MantaDive are really nice and everything was really wel organised!
Thank you guys (and Pia especially) for the amazing experience!

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 11 in Gili Meno
7SEAS Cottages
7SEAS Cottages
#11 of 20 in Gili Air

Been to Manta Dive Gili Air Resort? Share your experiences!