“Think about twice before you go”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Villa Bulan Madu

Villa Bulan Madu
Ranked #54 of 130 Specialty Lodging in Gili Air
Singapore, Singapore
“Think about twice before you go”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

To me, my experiences at Bulan Madu is only one word, “disaster”
You may see what I look like now from the recent photo.
Our Company held a team building activity at Lombok on June 15-18th and they chose Bulan Madu as a training place.

I was informed that I would live in a spacious villa during the training at Bulan Madu. However when we checked in, the reception informed us that there was no villa available, except for some ordinary rooms. So I was assigned to live in room no 8, which you wouldn’t find from their website - a small room located besides the main road.

This was just the beginning. I was shocked to find out that there was no hot water at night, and the incessant noise from the nearest pub caused me sleepless nights. The next morning when I requested to change room, I was advised that there were no other rooms like what their website had shown. As I am a light sleeper, I had to move to another quieter resort located 15 minutes’ walk away.

The following 2 days consisted of more team-building activities by the Bulan Madu staff (Owner). Here, the biggest disaster befell in my life. We were requested to play a game called “Trust”. The game was designed in such a way that 2-3 people would stand on a mattress. The 4th person would stand outside the mattress and fall backwards onto the mattress. The 3 people on the mattress have to catch the falling 4th person by holding each other’s hands and this 4th person has to trust that he or she will be caught by them. The groups were assigned randomly, with no consideration given to individual sizes and strength and how lucky I was. I was assigned to 3 people team, my team member are 2 men.

When it’s my turn, my colleague and I had to catch this guy who was falling. As we are holding our hands tightly, the impact created an inward force that pushes my colleague and me towards each other, hitting our heads together as a result. The next moment, my vision turned red. My eyes were covered in blood. My face was numb and cold and my limbs were trembling. The collision was so forceful that the skin on my forehead tore instantly, with blood spewing out profusely over my face.

We called for the medic immediately. Unfortunately, there was none on the island. They had to ferry a medic trainee from another island. In the meantime, I could only wait helplessly while my colleagues tried to stop the blood. When the medic trainee arrived, she seemed unapt to stop the bleeding and suggested that I visit the nearest hospital, which is on another island. In the end, I was given unskillfully-done stitches at a small clinic and I had to open and re-do it in Singapore with 15 stitches.

Everything was in a mess. The staffs did not seem to be trained to handle such incidents. No contingency plans were available. It was even more frustrating when the organizer continues to proceed with the next activity for fear of delay when no one was in the mood. It was coconut tree climbing with no safety precaution at all. I was just lying on the nearby ground waiting to see if my bleeding can stop.
After the incident happened, the only word from the trainer is “It’s accident, it happened”.

The next day, we had another activity in which another colleague of mine was hurt when a nail pierced his foot.
When I came back from the clinic on the other island, it was 3 PM, no fresh lunch for me, no arrangement of any transportation for me, even no one there came out to say hello to me. I had to eat the cold spaghetti left over from lunch time and walked 15 min back to the place I stayed, with extreme pain on my head.

The next 2 days, I had a terrible headache and swollen face and unable to take the 15 min walk to Bulan Madu to take a meal. And not surprised by their services, none of them ask.

Like most woman who care about their appearances. I am even more self-conscious than most of the woman. I am extremely particular about my face. When this incident happened to me, my first thought was to rather die. Even 1 M dollars couldn’t buy any wound that I am willing to put on my face.

It has been almost 2 months since the incident happened. I am still sad and furious for not getting any response from Bulan Madu.

I will strongly not recommend that you go to this place. If they are unable to show any basic manner, I really don’t think they would treat their customer sincerely. Not to mention other. Because when the things happen, they will tell you” It’s accident, it happened”.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Plee6666

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

End of April, my boyfriend and I had the most beautiful and relaxing stay at this very unique and gorgeous accomodation on Gili Air.
The private villa with the stylish oudoor bathroom (warm water!!!) and the incredible tropical private garden was our own private paradise.
Sparkling turquoise water on the white, quiet beach during the day, the cool big old turtle under the sea and millions of stars at night made it even more perfect.
Stephan, the German owner, is a great and very pleasant host. He and his crew were really welcoming, friendly and always trying to provide each guest with as much privacy as possible.
If we could we would have stayed for ever on this beautiful island and in this special accomodation.
Higly recommandable!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christina B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Large compound but upkeep is lacking. Good sized villa but unpleasant smell and room/floor is dusty.
Beautiful garden but again upkeep is lacking.
Meals are very salty and just nothing good to eat, so unsatisfying.
Luckily nice beach and good location.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Complacency
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed at VBM in April and was spell bound about the property .. the nice touches and the great service by the well trained staff. I enjoyed this so much that I becam a part of the soccer team at VBM,,There is so much attention to detail. If you are looking for a classy place with a great beach and endless ocean in front of you,, this is the perfect place. Just to top it all we liked this place to firm our Management retreat in June 2012.. The owner Stefan himself is a gem of a guy and pays close attention to everything...My Paradie in Paradise....Baracuda

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Baracuda17
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

I visited Gili T and Gili Air in total 7 times. This place is by far my favourite. Great bungalow in a setting with private garden and palmtree fields. The room is big and airy. The bathroom is spacious and including fresh water. Quite unique on this island. The kitchenette is very functional. Big beds, clean sheets and towels. The bungalow looks new or very well maintained and is tasty designed and decorated. Breakfast is simple (like almost everywhere in bali/lombok] but tasty and with fresh juices. You can have BF on your veranda, in the restaurant or on the beach. Too tumbs up for collecting rainwater and i even saw a small solarsystem. Great!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank bali b
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at Bulan Madu and had a wonderful time! The staff was incredible Miska, Harry and Stefan, the owner, were very welcoming. They were quick to check in on us and make sure our needs were met. All the staff had time for us and were so helpful as we tried to learn more of the language.

We treated ourselves to facials and massages at the spa and were blown away. Honestly, the best we've had in all of Indonesia.

We would and have recommended Budan Madu to anyone heading to the Gilis.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stacey789
Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed at the Budan Madu in July 2011 for 5 days/nights, however with a break of 2 nights as we did the trekking on Lombok.

The Villas are big and located in a very nice park-like area. Although we had some doubts about the cleanliness of the hotels on Gili air, we were completely satisfied. You definitely feel the ownership of a German here... Speaking of staff and owners... we experienced that all the staff was very nice and helpful. Yes, the senior manager at the reception is somewhat a "direct" person, but very nice once you break the ice. She helped us with everything. We organized our whole trekking on Lombok through her. We even could reserve our villa for the 2 nights, so we could leave all our heavy rucksack stuff right in our villa - that's much more than I would have asked for (of course free of charge). They arranged special rates for the transfer, again very nice.

Interesting to know:
The owner is German, who is taking responsibility of the whole island, keeping everything clean and tidy promoting a green and healthy tourism. He has introduced some European ideas here ;-) such as waste separation, cleaning of streets, set up of an island hospital, no disco or loud music after 11pm, and was in 2011 just about to setup an island Wifi free of charge for locals (if you come from Trawangan, you can see and smell ;-) the difference immediately...) We met him several times in his restaurant with his wife, where he told us about his long standing commitment to the Gilis. Although he seemed in the first moment like some kind of dropout, he has actually quite an interesting story to tell and has become a very respected and influential person beyond the Gili Islands - don't let yourself be fooled by his relaxed looks ;-)

Wrt the spa. It was very nice and the only one on the island... so no real competition here ;-)

Wish you all a great time here!

All said, I think this place is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple