“Not perfect, but very good for the gili's”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gili Air
Juliantos By The Sea
Ranked #32 of 59 Gili Air B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My kids are still raving about our 1 week on gili air. But it's important to not confuse the gili's or Juliantos with more established beach destinations like Hawaii, Fiji, or even certain islands in the Caribbean. For me, that's not a bad thing necessarily b/c you get a lot more fun for your money. Here's why it worked for us:

1. food was good - Both at the restaurant and the many many close by places around the island. We loved Biba's pizza....walking distance
2. Resort was nice, with a pool for the kids - not perfect but good enough
3. Beach in front of hotel - good at high tide for the kids. However at low tides the water retreats way out exposing the rocks...no swimming then. But at certain times the beach was fine. For adults, when the tide is out, it's actually easier to walk out to the drop off where the good coral, fish, turles are.
4. Snorkeling - some of the best I've done from shore. It's a drift snorkel, so you need to walk a ways up the beach...enter, drift down past the hotel..as far as you like then walk back
5. Diving close by - 3 min. walk down the path to Blue marlin dive boats. The diving wasn't exceptional but was good enough to get me and my wife out 6-7 times. We're spoiled now living in the Philippines...we're used to affordable personalized service and great diving- 2 years ago i would probably have raved on the awesome diving in the gili's.
6. OK trail around the island for running - takes about 30 min to get around - there are some places where it's loose sand but didn't bother me too much.

We didn't have any serious complaints, just a few annoyances:
1. This place could be really nice with a little attention to detail like...cleaning, removing some junk from behind certain buildings, and having a more cohesive landscaping plan in synch with the dry environment
2. The staff were not particularly helpful...they did the job mostly, but several times Julia or Tony had to intervene to make it right. If they had not been there I think customer service would have been an issue. Tony and Julia were great though (owners).
3. Population pressure is evident in certain parts of the island - like where your fast boat lands. It's a real mess and eyesore...trash all over the place.
4. My biggest annoyance was the smoke from burning trash in the morning when running (other side of island...not Juliantos fault). Watching all the trash burning I couldn't help but think of all my friends driving prius's in San Francisco....40 hybrids = 1 trash fire?? But to be fair I don't know where else they could cost effectively deal with the trash.

Despite all this I'd go back because it cost effectively addresses my family'svacation needs...dive, snorkel, boat charters, good meals, hang at the beach, exercise, and let the kids romp in the pool ....I shudder to think about what this trip would cost me in Wailea!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TXCOCA
There are newer reviews for Juliantos By The Sea

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed 5 nights and cannot fault it. Looked to Mt Rinjani on Lombok over water. Food great ( try Tumpy Tumpy and Gado Gado), service excellent. Best snorkling on the island is down this east side, go in up by mirage bar and go down with current (best done on high tide). We took a day snorkelling charter from family next door and had a great day out. Gili Air is a bit of paradise lost with beaches covered with trashy bars. But this might be your thing.

Room Tip: Family room upstairs has a great balcony and all day view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kay-and-david
Reviewed August 17, 2012

A superb place to stay right on the beach. Rooms are great, view is great, owners are fantastic. Julia and Tony are fantastic hosts and made us feel very welcome. They know the island very well and can suggest places to go and things to do. Very relaxed atmosphere and well as professional staff. Would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ellimoo
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed at Juliantos with family and friends for 2 weeks in June 2012. It was absolutely everything I had hoped for and more. The island is quite beautiful and very relaxing especially as there is no motorised transport on the island. The staff are very friendly and, being related to the manager/partner, all have a personal interest in ensuring that your stay is enjoyable. The breakfasts - included in the accommodation price - were consistently excellent, they even knew how to poach eggs! This was one of the most relaxing, easy-going places I've been to in many years. Ignore all the crap reviews, they are from people who do not appreciate true, natural home-grown hospitality when they get it. The owners have done a wonderful job incorporating natural, environmentally friendly touches and employing local, skilled craftsmen and materials wherever possible. I will definitely be back again....

Room Tip: Pay that little bit extra, lie back and enjoy yourself! All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed in the cheaper fan cooled room and our family stayed in the a/c rooms. I thought both were great but couldn't see any need to pay extra for the other rooms.

Lovely bathroom, shame about the salt water, but that's Gili Air! I would take some good conditioner (leave-in might be good) as I had real problems with my long hair!

Breakfast was of a good standard- choice of eggs, fruit or fresh juice, the usual, plus good coffee. We also ate at the restaurant and felt it was really good food and well priced. We did eat at other places, including Scallywags and I found the Juliantos food just as nice.

Pool was fine, if a bit cloudy- not sure if this is usual for salt water pools? There was a lack of loungers at times.

It was about 20 minutes walk from the main area of restaurants but there were other restaurants close by.

Rooms were cleaned every day. Staff were fine, some more friendly than others.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2012

we didnt love this place but it was okay for one nice. pretty cheap and clean room and nice with a pool, but the staff was pretty slack and slow, the beach there (and on whole gili air except you stay at the schallywags) are really bad compared to both gili Trawangan and Gili Meno. IT was pretty far from the good restaurants and the harbour. It is fine, nice clean room with a beautiful bathroom and nice balcony, but we wouldnt come back here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Nice hotel, on the beach front and the owner was lovely! - playing his guitar as I lay by the pool. His wife also lent me snorkling gear. Gili air's showers are salt water which at first was not a problem but I soon wanted fresh water! Lovely pool (very salty) and a nice breakfast selection. A lovely hotel in a good location... just watch the jelly fish which sting you at certain times... not dangerous - but ouch! they hurt! the sunrise is well worth getting up for too

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple