“Great location, beachfront villa!”
Review of Sunrise Resort

Sunrise Resort
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Gili Air
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location, beachfront villa!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at Gili Air without a booking & originally wanted to book a hotel near Sunrise, but they were booked so we came across Sunrise.

We negotiated a good price on the beach front lumbung, which had a great rooftop decking with hammocks overlooking the beach.

The room was nice, although the bathroom was like a sauna the whole time due to the design of the roof. The bathtub was great to relax in, although the water pressure was quite poor. Yes, there is salt water, but I believe most if not all other hotels have the same issue.

Staff were friendly, although service could have been better.

The location is spot on, within 5 minutes walk of Chill out Bar/ Scallywags which we ate at most meals.

We would stay again due to the location & snorkeling off the beach. Some easy improvements could be made to make it a better stay.

Please note that the pool is being renovated, so it is not open.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We read previous reviews about sunrise after our first day at sunrise, I we really didn't recognize them. We really liked the bungalows, staff was friendly, we got a great discount, it all seemed really good.

But then things started to change. The staff constantly asked us if we wanted to rent snorkelling gear, or go on a trip, or needed transport. It got really annoying. And when they lost something in the laundry we got a lot of contradicting information and no real answers. The manager was constantly away. The wifi didn't work because they didn't have any credit anymore, the beach was really dirty compared to others, breakfast took a long time to be prepared, it just all felt really unorganized.

I think you can find a better place to stay on Gili Air, we were pretty done with the place after a couple of days.

Whyanbeel, Australia
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We arrived unannounced with three kids, and where made to feel relaxed and welcome. We stayed in a one room hut and yes it had salt water in the shower. We loved it ! Staying together as a family (kids aged 3,6 and 8) it was a real adventure, no distractions means every one early to bed and lots of quiet time for the kids (just what hey needed after Gili T !) Location is great, right in the middle of where you want to be, and a shady street. We ate there and the food was great, cocktails where great, everything was great ! Staff where super friendly and love kids.Next time I wouldn't bother going to Gili T and would just head straight back here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dam19
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Upon arrival the girl tried to put me In a room with out a key. I went back to the desk and asked to put my stuff in safe she said only small things like passport can fit. I then asked her if I could get a key to the room? She couldn't find it so I asked for another room she said that it was an upgrade. I didn't realize a room with a key was an upgrade. She gave me the other room. I went for a walk and bite to eat as it was a long boat ride to get here. I ate at the hotel bar/restaurant. Had spring rolls thought would be safe. Went for a walk and about an hour later I felt weird. Made my way back to hotel and went to my room and found a lot of dead bugs all over the bed. Not feeling well and extremely tired I decided to use my blanket I brought with me to lay on bed. An hour went by and I woke up to having to throw up over balcony because I couldn't make it down stairs. Threw up every bit of the spring rolls. Wanting to complain but unable to move from room or bathroom. I sent email the next day to the travel network I booked through. Well I was out laying by the beach and the whole staff and crew came to me and said we heard about your complaints and you cannot get your money refunded and we checked the room there are no bugs. Even the guy who prepares the food came out and said I made those myself they can't make you sick. I am telling you I am by myself and I had 5 to 6 people staring at me while I was trying to relax on beach in addition to not be sick. This was aggressive action towards me and not at all welcoming or warming as I have felt elsewhere in Indonesia.

That being said do not stay here if you want to feel welcome or do not like bugs. This is not the place for you! It is the best location on island for snorkel.

Rude and bad service. A lot of construction right now as well so there is hammering at some parts of the day. Hard to relax at times.

1 Thank Kkptl23

Travelers are raving about these Gili Air hotels

Reviewed January 23, 2013

the title says it all:::(((((((I just to make clear is not a place that we expect we love the island and we decide to move to a different resort ( the beach club) less expensive but super cool . Fresh water clean room and price very fair

• Stayed January 2013
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I ended up staying at Sunrise only due to my original hotel being double booked by Agoda meaning I needed to spend my last night here. Due to the great reviews on Tripadvisor I didn't think this would be a problem at all and without even checking out the resort or rooms, I agreed.

When it came to check in, I was shown to my room, which supposedly was the equivalent of the room I had stayed in at my previous hotel and was utterly shocked by how little $40 gets you here! The room looked OK from the outside, but when I got inside it was unbearably hot and the windows did not shut properly. I'm not even going to talk about the bathroom. I walked straight over to reception and complained that I did not want to stay in that room.

I ended up staying in one of the newer $60 rooms at the back of the resort. Although not great, it was a big improvement. I know Gili Air is popular, but I just cannot see how they can charge such crazy prices. Only guess is that some people, not on a backpackers budget, must be paying them.

The location is the biggest draw to Sunrise, it is literally right on the beach and in the thick of the area with the restaurants, bars, dive schools etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The hotel has the perfect location just in front of the nicest area of the beach where the water is turquoise blue and the snorkeling awesome. The bungalows we had was a big lovely wooden 2 storeys with big lounge / dining area and bathroom at the bottom and a balcony and a room at the top. Very charming rooms.
Restaurant is good right on the beach with perfect sea view. The staff is nice and welcoming.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family