“Dirty, aggressive staff and not at all what the add says it is.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sunrise Resort

Sunrise Resort
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Gili Air
“Dirty, aggressive staff and not at all what the add says it is.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Upon arrival the girl tried to put me In a room with out a key. I went back to the desk and asked to put my stuff in safe she said only small things like passport can fit. I then asked her if I could get a key to the room? She couldn't find it so I asked for another room she said that it was an upgrade. I didn't realize a room with a key was an upgrade. She gave me the other room. I went for a walk and bite to eat as it was a long boat ride to get here. I ate at the hotel bar/restaurant. Had spring rolls thought would be safe. Went for a walk and about an hour later I felt weird. Made my way back to hotel and went to my room and found a lot of dead bugs all over the bed. Not feeling well and extremely tired I decided to use my blanket I brought with me to lay on bed. An hour went by and I woke up to having to throw up over balcony because I couldn't make it down stairs. Threw up every bit of the spring rolls. Wanting to complain but unable to move from room or bathroom. I sent email the next day to the travel network I booked through. Well I was out laying by the beach and the whole staff and crew came to me and said we heard about your complaints and you cannot get your money refunded and we checked the room there are no bugs. Even the guy who prepares the food came out and said I made those myself they can't make you sick. I am telling you I am by myself and I had 5 to 6 people staring at me while I was trying to relax on beach in addition to not be sick. This was aggressive action towards me and not at all welcoming or warming as I have felt elsewhere in Indonesia.

That being said do not stay here if you want to feel welcome or do not like bugs. This is not the place for you! It is the best location on island for snorkel.

Rude and bad service. A lot of construction right now as well so there is hammering at some parts of the day. Hard to relax at times.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Kkptl23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

the title says it all:::(((((((I just to make clear is not a place that we expect we love the island and we decide to move to a different resort ( the beach club) less expensive but super cool . Fresh water clean room and price very fair

• Stayed January 2013

Travelers are raving about these Gili Air hotels

Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I ended up staying at Sunrise only due to my original hotel being double booked by Agoda meaning I needed to spend my last night here. Due to the great reviews on Tripadvisor I didn't think this would be a problem at all and without even checking out the resort or rooms, I agreed.

When it came to check in, I was shown to my room, which supposedly was the equivalent of the room I had stayed in at my previous hotel and was utterly shocked by how little $40 gets you here! The room looked OK from the outside, but when I got inside it was unbearably hot and the windows did not shut properly. I'm not even going to talk about the bathroom. I walked straight over to reception and complained that I did not want to stay in that room.

I ended up staying in one of the newer $60 rooms at the back of the resort. Although not great, it was a big improvement. I know Gili Air is popular, but I just cannot see how they can charge such crazy prices. Only guess is that some people, not on a backpackers budget, must be paying them.

The location is the biggest draw to Sunrise, it is literally right on the beach and in the thick of the area with the restaurants, bars, dive schools etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

The hotel has the perfect location just in front of the nicest area of the beach where the water is turquoise blue and the snorkeling awesome. The bungalows we had was a big lovely wooden 2 storeys with big lounge / dining area and bathroom at the bottom and a balcony and a room at the top. Very charming rooms.
Restaurant is good right on the beach with perfect sea view. The staff is nice and welcoming.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SEA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Nice cute little bungalows centred in a fairly well maintained tropical garden. It's a short 30sec stroll to the beach. Decent snorkelling out the front but its still really dead most of the coral. U have to go on a trip to find the good stuff. Staff were amazingly friendly and always kept the room very clean.

The room was a little damp and musky but that's not there fault it's due to the weather conditions. The pillow was rock hard so I hope they have changed them by now! I liked the 2 floors to the bungalow was defiantly and original layout in terms of other I've stayed at. I think it was fairly exspensive for the price and you can get a lot better value if you looked around I'm sure!

Also make sure u book the return boat tickets by yourself as they will be a lot cheaper if you go to the jetti in the morning. That's only if you are going to Lombok.

Make sure you check the bar directly opposite the guy is awesome and has the cheapest and strongest mushroom shakes on the island, spent many nights chilling in the bar tripping and drinking. Such a cool place to chill until the early hours.

I'd recommend this place for a shirt stay its worth it!

Room Tip: Grab a 2 story Bugalow if you can out the back. Do best value for money.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

-Right next to the beach,best snokelling area,also good for swim
-10Mins walk for the ferry pier(with suitcase),(without suitcase,5mins)
-All the staffs are very friendly and smile all the time
-Book from booking.com,reasonable price,us30 per night
-Room without a/c,actually is good enough.A bit hot on the day time.
-Salty water and didn't have hot shower.it's ok,i think only few hotels can provide fresh water in gili air
-No lock for the room door
-Nice bar and restaurant
-Nice garden view and balcony
-Nice welcome drink

• Stayed October 2012
Gävle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had a very pleasant stay with my girlfriend! Everything is ofcourse you-get-what-you-pay-for, but the second floor with mosquitonet bed is wonderful in its woody charm! Superb breakfast and the best beach right outside the hotel. The toilet is a little scary, and we found some bugs in the first floor bed, but all and all we were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple